sawmill fire

eelgrass

Long Time Member
The man I work for owns several sawmills around the country. The one he owns in Weaverville, CA caught fire last Saturday. Weaverville is a one horse town, and the sawmill is the economic heart of the community. The fire started when some hot sparks from a cutting torch dropped inside a double wall. By the time they noticed the smoke it was too late.

Someone put a video on YouTube. Notice at about the 1 minute mark and beyond how seriously they take fire in a small community. Despite their best efforts, the estimate is that they will be down until next summer.

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-09 AT 05:03PM (MST)[p]Eel

There are far better ways of getting time off to go hunting!

Ransom

>
>Eel
>
>There are far better ways of
>getting time off to go
>hunting!
>
>
>Ransom

Ransom, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!:)

Eel

Steve,

That recently happened in another Mill that had shut down though in Mendocino County. It was the old Hardwoood Mill in Branscome between Laytonville and the coast north of Ft. Bragg.

Wonder if it was done for insurance money, have not heard anything else since the fire.

Lots of Lumber Mills out of business now.

Brian

Brian, you're right, sawmills are quickly disappearing from around the country. I heard from a salesman awhile back that the main lumber mills (I forgot the name....Potlatch?) in Western Montana have closed their doors for good.

The head filer from Weaverville was over just last week comparing notes. He said they built a new filing room in a new building away from the main mill. I bet they're glad they did that now, otherwise it would have gone up too.

Steve

Here is some more video taken earlier from the front side of the mill. Notice how all the people are obeying the CHP. NOT!

Eel

Cool video . That looked like a pretty good couple of drops the plane made . I have never seen them do that for a structure fire before .

dang!
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

Born and raised in Weaverville.We got the news via text while hunting.Left the Looney state years ago. Sad day for the community for sure. My dad owns a Land Surveying company in town and he expects it to impact him somewhat, as it will send a ripple effect throughout the county.

My brother is up hunting with me in Idaho. He works for the Redding Fire Dept. He mentioned that there is nothing you can do with a fire like that except for containment. You are not putting it out without air assist, which is what it took.

Do you live in the 'Ville eelgrass?

As far as burning it for insurance money, I am pretty sure if they want any insurance money, there is usually a clause that states you must rebuild.

Sad day for my home town. I wish everyone the best!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom