Saved a turtle

foundation

Very Active Member
59turtle.jpg

We did our good dead for the day , and saved a turtle from getting hit by a car . I think this little fellar must have escaped from some high fence turtle huntin ranch . He was cruising along on this trail when he decided he wanted to climb up my horses leg . The turtle wasn't scared of very much .

Any way when we where riding back the turtle had made it down to the paved road and was messing around on the road . We helped him cross the road and put him back in some turtle country away from the road .

I'm hoping karma will smile on me , and I will draw a coveted turtle tag in the near future .

59turtle.jpg

We did our good dead for the day , and saved a turtle from getting hit by a car . I think this little fellar must have escaped from some high fence turtle huntin ranch . He was cruising along on this trail when he decided he wanted to climb up my horses leg . The turtle wasn't scared of very much .

Any way when we where riding back the turtle had made it down to the paved road and was messing around on the road . We helped him cross the road and put him back in some turtle country away from the road .

I'm hoping karma will smile on me , and I will draw a coveted turtle tag in the near future .

That's a nice turtle! Nice save! Good for you!

Could you send me the GPS coordinates of that turtle?

I just want to take a photo.:)

Eel

P.S. I see no reason to mention this to Roy.

That's a nice turtle! Nice save! Good for you!

Could you send me the GPS coordinates of that turtle?

I just want to take a photo.:)

Eel

P.S. I see no reason to mention this to Roy.

LOL , not sure how good GPS coordinates would do . That little dude was a mover and covering some country .

I thought about putting some kind of tracking color on him so when I finally draw a tag I would have a better idea where to look . Then I decided the tracking color may violate the fair chase rules , and when I finally harvest I don't want any doubts by naysayers saying it was a rigged hunt .

LOL , not sure how good GPS coordinates would do . That little dude was a mover and covering some country .

I thought about putting some kind of tracking color on him so when I finally draw a tag I would have a better idea where to look . Then I decided the tracking color may violate the fair chase rules , and when I finally harvest I don't want any doubts by naysayers saying it was a rigged hunt .

That's very noble of you foundation! I see you still have a lot to learn about turtle hunting. LOL

Eel

That's very noble of you foundation! I see you still have a lot to learn about turtle hunting. LOL

Eel

Good Lord JB!

Looks like you are looking to get slapped!

Thanks foundation for rescuing that turtle! You are a shining example of turtle conservation - a true sportsman!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Good Lord JB!

Looks like you are looking to get slapped!

Thanks foundation for rescuing that turtle! You are a shining example of turtle conservation - a true sportsman!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

>That's very noble of you foundation!
>I see you still have
>a lot to learn about
>turtle hunting. LOL
>
>Eel, Just for clarification....I am from California, so I always need clarification......

Do you guys count "tortoise" and "turtle" in the same hunt? Like Muley and Whitetail?

How does Boone & Crockett classify them?

In my experience, the "true" turtles are WAY more dangerous than any tortoise, so I was just wondering if turtles were classified as dangerous game?

"What's good for me, ain't necessarily good for the weak minded"

>That's very noble of you foundation!
>I see you still have
>a lot to learn about
>turtle hunting. LOL
>
>Eel, Just for clarification....I am from California, so I always need clarification......

Do you guys count "tortoise" and "turtle" in the same hunt? Like Muley and Whitetail?

In my experience, the "true" turtles are WAY more dangerous than any tortoise, so I was just wondering if turtles were classified as dangerous game?

"What's good for me, ain't necessarily good for the weak minded"

Well Big A I may nominate you for MM'R of the month. Was that up Yellowfork?

BTW stop sucking up to eel, and Roy!!! :)

Well Big A I may nominate you for MM'R of the month. Was that up Yellowfork?

BTW stop sucking up to eel, and Roy!!! :)

MM'r of the month huh . I'm not soo sure about that Rug after I read the fine print . When I read that the award ceremony will take place in the " Secret Clubhouse " that just kinda sent a shiver up my spine , and it wasn't one of them good kind of shivers .

It was up Corner Canyon .

BTW its not sucking up , its trying to get in their good graces . Eel & Roy are infamous in the turtle huntin world an I'm just trying to learn as much as I can . For most hunters its a once in a lifetime tag , so you have to stack the deck in your favor .

MM'r of the month huh . I'm not soo sure about that Rug after I read the fine print . When I read that the award ceremony will take place in the " Secret Clubhouse " that just kinda sent a shiver up my spine , and it wasn't one of them good kind of shivers .

It was up Corner Canyon .

BTW its not sucking up , its trying to get in their good graces . Eel & Roy are infamous in the turtle huntin world an I'm just trying to learn as much as I can . For most hunters its a once in a lifetime tag , so you have to stack the deck in your favor .

--------------------------------------------------------------

nickman, it's not so much like muley and whitetails. It's more like Grizzly Bear and Brown Bear. Add in a lot of sub species and it does get confusing at times. They all can and will kill you on any given day. That's what makes them so addicting.

Boone & Crockett is still trying to sort out their official stance since "turtle" hunting is relatively new.

Hope this helps.

Eel

--------------------------------------------------------------

nickman, it's not so much like muley and whitetails. It's more like Grizzly Bear and Brown Bear. Add in a lot of sub species and it does get confusing at times. They all can and will kill you on any given day. That's what makes them so addicting.

Boone & Crockett is still trying to sort out their official stance since "turtle" hunting is relatively new.

Hope this helps.

Eel

" They all can and will kill you " . Wow , I do have a lot to learn about turtles . It makes sense though , and now looking back on it that hard backed critter had a blood thirsty look in his eyes .

Of course I'm just guessing , but I think what he was going to do was take my horse down when we first ran in to him . He crawled right up by his front leg , and was probablly goin to hamstring him .

I had my doubts when the girl friend picked up that dangerous killer to carry it across the road , but every thing turned out all right this time .

Guess for the future I better think about some protection when out riding . Maybe the Smith & wesson .500

" They all can and will kill you " . Wow , I do have a lot to learn about turtles . It makes sense though , and now looking back on it that hard backed critter had a blood thirsty look in his eyes .

Of course I'm just guessing , but I think what he was going to do was take my horse down when we first ran in to him . He crawled right up by his front leg , and was probablly goin to hamstring him .

I had my doubts when the girl friend picked up that dangerous killer to carry it across the road , but every thing turned out all right this time .

Guess for the future I better think about some protection when out riding . Maybe the Smith & wesson .500

Now you're getting the hang of it foundation! You were probably pretty safe this time. Turtles usually mind their manners around the ladies. It's when you have a tag in your pocket and you are alone that the game changes. Somehow they KNOW! You'll see!

Keep us posted!

Eel

Now you're getting the hang of it foundation! You were probably pretty safe this time. Turtles usually mind their manners around the ladies. It's when you have a tag in your pocket and you are alone that the game changes. Somehow they KNOW! You'll see!

Keep us posted!

Eel

Bacon turtle , hot dang that looks tasty . I will keep that recipe and picture in my mind in case I just happen to run in to another turtle .

Man , now I'm going to be craving a B.L.T ( bacon , letuce , and turtle ) all night now .

Bacon turtle , hot dang that looks tasty . I will keep that recipe and picture in my mind in case I just happen to run in to another turtle .

Man , now I'm going to be craving a B.L.T ( bacon , letuce , and turtle ) all night now .

So my little near death experience has got me thinking and pondering a few things when it comes to turtle and tortoise hunting .

I'm curious if I had a tag in my hand would I have or should I have harvested this tortoise ? Is this a pisscutter that needs to grow another 30 years or is it a good representative of the species ? I just honestly dont know since I have never been up close and personal with them before . In my mind I just allways imagined them as big as a volkswagon bug since I grew up watching the old movies of the Galapagos Island turtles .

Maybe ground shrinkage is a bigger factor than I ever imagined or that I have just bought in to the hype of all these monster turtles I have seen in pictures .

So what do you think with a tag in hand is this a first day or last day trophy ?

So my little near death experience has got me thinking and pondering a few things when it comes to turtle and tortoise hunting .

I'm curious if I had a tag in my hand would I have or should I have harvested this tortoise ? Is this a pisscutter that needs to grow another 30 years or is it a good representative of the species ? I just honestly dont know since I have never been up close and personal with them before . In my mind I just allways imagined them as big as a volkswagon bug since I grew up watching the old movies of the Galapagos Island turtles .

Maybe ground shrinkage is a bigger factor than I ever imagined or that I have just bought in to the hype of all these monster turtles I have seen in pictures .

So what do you think with a tag in hand is this a first day or last day trophy ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom