Save The Wolves

440sixpack

Looks like a " temporary shortage " of moose has left the wolves short on food and dying off. so some new genetics for the wolves should fix that right up . makes sense if you don't think about it.

So we're supposed to let nature take it's course unless it's on the wrong course, then we ship in sheep to eat and bring some new wolf blood to the pack.

http://news.yahoo.com/debate-brews-over-whether-save-island-39-wolves-060508458.html

Stay thirsty my friends

Can't wait until wolves are added to the small game lisense. It will happen if we keep protecting them like they're gold bars!!!!!

I'm torn on this one.
First off I am not a wolf lover but they are a species that was here before us and should be managed as such.
Now, us hunters have reintroduced many species across many areas throughout the country for many reasons and I am sure there has been a gene diversification reason at some point....
Wolves aren't any different, they are a big game species and need to be managed by us.

However, they arrived to the island in the mid 1940's and about every 10 years or so since the ice would form out to the island. This allowed new wolves to come out and mix up the gene pool. In recent times this hasn't happened though.
There is no way to prove it but I would bet that wolves were actually on the island centuries ago but died off to similar reasons before. It just took a long time (till the 40's) for them to find their way back out there.

If there was a steady population throughout time then I could see putting new genes into the pool. The island is too small though to prevent a population of wolves from interbreeding though. This problem will keep recurring every 30 years or so now that lake superior doesn't freeze out to the island. Thus putting people into a difficult situation...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Then they should die off, just like they did in the western US before we screwed that up.

Stay thirsty my friends

The wolves did die off in the west, with some help.

That's the kind of help they need, not food and new genetics.

Stay thirsty my friends

here we go again, same ol' 1800 brain power at work.... how did that work out for any of the other big game species?????

Mntman

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

munman, I wouldn't talk brain power, if you want to make wolves a big game species, we did that with kitty cat, look at the deer now,,,,,

What I was referring to was the mind set of shoot every one of them till their gone.... We did that with elk, deer, moose, bison and every other species on the map too and they ALL nearly went extinct because we didn't have a management system in place.

I feel we are not the ones to decide which species should go extinct or not, it isn't "our" call. We should ensure that species do not go extinct due to human cause... That does not mean I want wolves in every county across the country but having small survivable populations that are managed need to be in place.

Because if you feel wolves shouldn't be here, and Bob feels bobcats shouldn't be here, Fred doesn't want elk, and Shirley doesn't want red-tailed hawks etc... where the hell do we draw the line on which animals are killed off and which ones stay?

Last time I checked, I wasn't God so I know it isn't me who makes those decisions, pretty sure that negates anyone in my family too...

Mntman

Were you able to understand the subject is should man help the wolves on that island survive or let nature decide? you Subaru drivers are all about letting nature take it's course until you don't like it's direction.

My point is the wolves are eating themselves out of a food supply . gee how could that happen right? you thought they made the herds stronger because that's what the hairy lady in Birkenstocks told you.

Stay thirsty my friends

LOL!

3i8e.jpg

Ok just for a second, Lets change the species and see what the arguments is. On an island that 99% of the US population will never visit. There is an over abundance of Coyotes. The coyotes are starving because they have decimated the Jack Rabbit population, And because they only get to go to and from the island every 80- 90 years they also have poor genetics due to inbreeding. As far as records show the jacks showed up about 1899 and the Coyotes about 1940. Also as a side note. If Coyotes are out of the picture the jack Rabbit population may explode and interfere with the deer mouse population, as the both utilize the native plants and grasses for forage.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom