Savage Long Range Hunter

I have one in the .300 win mag It shoots good.
The stock is peeling I don't know if it is a protective layer or what. Strictly cosmetic.
The magazine is a little tricky to load if in a hurry. The shells can not be to far back or they hang up. This can be a problem.
It has the accutrigger. I don't like the accutrigger so I am going put a new trigger in when I get a chance.
It does shoot good and that is what I needed it to do so I guess its o.k. but could use some improvement.

I have one in 300 win mag and agree with everything Nick said.

Except the accutrigger, I like that aspect.

Had one in 6.5-284, it was heavier than my Remington Sendero. It shot to different points of impact with the muzzle brake on/off...sold mine.

IMO you can't beat out of the box accuracy with the Savage rifles. Although there are differing oppinions, the accutrigger for me is the next best thing to sliced bread. It forces you to touch the trigger instead of pull which is where the "accu" comes into play. Great guns. Also, they are used by a lot of professional long range shooters now. That right there should tell you something.

It's always an adventure!!!

For the price you wont find a more accurate, well built rifle. I shot sub 1/2 inch groups right out of the box with reloads.

Long enough to hit the higher velocity accuracy node with the appropriate high BC bullet...need a longer barrel for a 6.5-284 to really shine at extreme long range...600 and under any length will probably do.

>Long enough to hit the higher
>velocity accuracy node with the
>appropriate high BC bullet...need a
>longer barrel for a 6.5-284
>to really shine at extreme
>long range...600 and under any
>length will probably do.

bs on barrell length. the long range hunter is an extremely accurate gun

LAST EDITED ON Dec-01-11 AT 07:06AM (MST)[p]BS on your comment...I didn't say the gun wasn't accurate...read the other posts...barrel length has nothing to do with accuracy only velocity. Yes the savage is accurate enough for normal long range hunting purposes. But past 600 yards at extreme range you still need the velocity both for drop, but primarily for wind purposes. In competition 100 and 200 yard benchresters use shorter barrels say around 22 inches or so. The long range guys at 1000 yards run from 27-32 inch barrels so they can get enough velocity to help with their wind estimation...makes it easier to call your shots in the wind. The other important factor, maybe you're not a target guy so I'll enlighten you, most catridges with different powders have a high accuracy node, for example lets say its a known fact on the benchrest circuit that with 4350 a 6.5-284 seems to shoot best at around 2950 - 3000 fps. You won't get there with a 22 inch barrel in a 6.5-284 at least not at safe pressures without wearing out your brass in a couple of loadings (loose pockets). They go with a longer barrel to hit that higher node so they get the best of both worlds. This applies to every catridge out there. My 30 Hart has a higher node at 3150fps with 200 grain bullets...I have to shoot a 28 inch barrel to hit it safely. Again barrel length has nothing to do with acuracy.

Benchrest? 6.5x284 is an f class cartridge.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

LAST EDITED ON Dec-01-11 AT 06:45PM (MST)[p]Yes its a F Class catridge, but it was a 1000 yard catridge first...it held the world record for quit a while. Maybe one of the most popular rounds for 1000 yards now.

This isn't an all or nothing question is it. If you are considering a long range rifle, then barrel length is a consideration. If you are toting a very heavy rifle around for long range and shooting 7mm, 6.5x284, or 300 win mag, then you should know that you will not get the useful velocity out of that 24" barrel. If you are trying to stay under 7lbs, then maybe that is a reasonable expectation.

My go to rifle now is a browning a-bolt with a boss system. Same thing, I give up barrel length also, but don't mind because I am sub-moa to 800 yards. I also give up some 100fps. Isn't the end of the world, but before one buys you should consider the strength's and weaknesses.

Right?

>This isn't an all or nothing
>question is it. If
>you are considering a long
>range rifle, then barrel length
>is a consideration. If
>you are toting a very
>heavy rifle around for long
>range and shooting 7mm, 6.5x284,
>or 300 win mag, then
>you should know that you
>will not get the useful
>velocity out of that 24"
>barrel. If you are trying
>to stay under 7lbs, then
>maybe that is a reasonable
>expectation.
>
>My go to rifle now is
>a browning a-bolt with a
>boss system. Same thing,
>I give up barrel length
>also, but don't mind because
>I am sub-moa to 800
>yards. I also give
>up some 100fps. Isn't
>the end of the world,
>but before one buys you
>should consider the strength's and
>weaknesses.
>
>Right?
yes exactly, if one get the same accurate range with a lighter rifle thet would indeed be the way to go. I am confident to 300 yards now with my Tikka 7-08 but want to become proficient at longer ranges out to 600-700 yards without breaking the bank. I figured the Savage would fit the bill, (thinking 7 mag) but there may be lighter options for that range. Might be able to do it with an off the shelf light rifle like the tikka or savage light hunter with a 26 in barrel installed. I am interested in the extreme 1000 yards just dealing with some of these canyons I hunt 600 yards would be the norm. So all things considered I may find a lighter option.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom