Satellite Phone

BIGJOHNT

Long Time Member
I am looking to buy a satellite phone. Looking for a little input from you guys thet may have them. I have used they old style with the big antenna on the ocean with pretty good luck. But i am looking to use this in the mountains in areas of no cell service.
ATT came out with their new sat phone is it worth using. Or just stick with the old style ?
With technology change so qwickly and with Att coming out with their new phone. I was thinking I may need to wait and see what the competion is going to do ?
Looking forward to hear your ideas and thoughts .

How often you plan on using it? I know there was a couple of stores in Alaska that would rent them for however long you needed them. I don't remember how much a friend of my father spent on his for his son-in-law to take with him for his deployments to the desert.
WVBOWAK

I ONLY USED SAT PHONES IN THE YUKON......THEY ARE TOTALLY RELIABLE AND WORTH THE $$$$ IF YOU RENT OR BUY........FOR WHAT YOU GET NOT TERRIBLY EXPENSIVE. MY GUIDE SAID IT COST HIM A $1.60 A MINUTE AFTER PHONE COSTS.... THE WAY TO GO.........YD.

No phone coverage up the cabin is there!!! You have a great place...but who wants to talk to anyone while you are up there anyway! Isnt that why you bought the place...to get away!? haha

I sometimes wish that we did NOT have service there at our place! I end up just turning my phone off so I can ignore it...

I don't recall the specifics, but our Dall Sheep outfitter bought some new phones because the coverage on the old ones was getting worse. He said it seems the quality of coverage, etc. changed for whatever reason. Anyway, I would make sure you check out references from different sources before buying one. As was mentioned, most just rent one when it is needed to save some money.

FLEH Yep your right ! Its nice not have to worry about the phone. But incase of an emergency it would be nice to have up there all of the time. With the high peaks all around I am concerned with coverage? We have people comming up next weekend and we need to know when they get there so we can pick them up on the sleds.Its 10 miles in.
There is a repeater on Tarrell, do you know if it is county owned or private?
Ether way we need to buy something that works.I can borrow a friends sat phone and try it out. It may be the best thing I think . Just looking for some input on these new sat phones that are out.

John, I am not sure who owns that repeater up there by you? I know that if you go up the road about 5 miles you can get a cell signal...but just not right at your place.

I totally understand about wanting some kind of connection though...I dont blame ya!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom