Sasha Gone

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
It's a sad day in the Mandile household today. My Lab, Sasha died last night. She was quite normal when we went to bed last night, so we have no idea what caused it.

3831sasha3opt.jpg

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I do not know how to say how bad I feel for you and your family....

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

Tony
Sorry to hear of the sad news, I know there will be a big void in your life for a while. Better days ahead though.

Sorry to hear about your loss Tony. Thanks for sharing her with us all here at MM over the years. It was obvious how you felt about her and cared for her.

So sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my dog a year ago on the 11th of Jan. I know how you are feeling.

Bigfly

495e731531222959.jpg

Sorry to hear you lost your lab Sasha, I know how bad that hurts. They add so much to our lives but the downside is you have to give them up one day and it's devistating when their gone. As others said there will be better days ahead.

I'm sorry to hear that. I recently lost my dog but knew it was coming. Pretty tough when you don't know its coming. Sorry again.

Steve
I got put in time out for a bad signature! Sorry Founder...

Here that! Treed
So sorry to hear that!! I wish it got easier but I don't think you ever get over a great dog. My old lab is 12 every time I think of not having him when I go hunting birds I damn near throw up!

Really sorry to hear about your family's loss, it is tough. Bad week for dogs, my good buddy lost both of his dogs saturday night, hit by a car, another friend lost his dog by a car, and yet another lost his to old age
You don't realize how much a part of the family they are until they're gone

Great dogs are always hard to replace.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-11 AT 10:22AM (MST)[p]I thought I was pretty tough in situations like this, but Weds. was a really rough day for me. That's why my initial message was short and to the point.

When I sat on the couch to watch TV Tues. night, Sasha came running with her Kong toy, as she often did. She'd bring it to me and then back off about 6-8 ft. so I could throw it for her to catch in mid-air. She kept at it until I told her "no more." When I did that, she laid down on the floor next to me, between the couch and the coffee table. Her Kong was nestled between her front paws next to her nose.

That was the last time I saw her alive. I eventually fell asleep on the couch where I spent the night.

Weds. morning, I woke up about 4:15, turned on the kitchen light and made coffee, etc., etc. Usually as soon as I get up, Sasha would be at my heels. I was awake for about two hours when I finally realized I hadn't seen her. I began looking. She wasn't in any of her usual haunts. First place I checked was the couch in the front living room where she often sleeps; it's the only piece of furniture in the entire house she was allowed access to. The couch was empty. I then started checking all the other empty, dark rooms by calling her name from the doorways. When she didn't come to my calls, I went out back and called for her from the patio. Nothing.

By now, it was about time for my wife to get up, so I opened the bedroom door and turned on the light to see if Sasha might have been closed in there when Ellen had gone to bed. Sasha wasn't there either. So I asked my wife if she had maybe opened the front door after I fell asleep. Although I knew Sasha wouldn't go anywhere, I thought perhaps she had been isolated to the front patio. But the few times that has happened, she barked continuously until one of us let her into the house again. But Ellen hadn't been out front at all since she got home from work at 5:30.

I decided to check each room again. I turned on the light in the spare front bedroom -- one Sasha rarely went into unless Ellen or I were in there for something. I could see her nose sticking out on the far side of one of the beds in there. I walked over, sat on the other bed and could tell she wasn't breathing even before I reached down to touch her.

My wife walked in right behind me, and all I could say was "She's dead."

Ellen said, "Oh no."

By then, I was already in tears, and Ellen joined me.

It was really quiet and sad here yesterday as I went about the business of doing what I had to do with Sasha's lifeless body. Few words were exchanged at the dinner table last night. This morning isn't much better as I move about the house and see Sasha's crate, toys, bowls and beds still where they were when she died. The Kong is still laying between the couch and table, where she had left it. Her collar now hangs alongside the one that belonged to my German shorthair, Ginger.

At least with Ginger, knowing she was old and had cancer gave me time to realize she would soon be gone. Sure it was hard to take her to the vet and have her in my hands as the injection caused her life to leave her. I still shed some tears, but by then I was ready to handle them. That's been the case with almost all of the pups I've owned over many years. Most have lived to old age.

That's not the case with Sasha's sudden and unexplained death at less than five years old. While I certainly wouldn't want her to have suffered, I would have been happier if we both had several more years to enjoy each other's company. And if dogs could talk, I bet she would have said the same thing.

As I said after Ginger died, I'll likely never get another pup. If I ever decide to make such a mistake, though, it would be quite difficult to find another with Sasha's temperament and personality.

The sadness will last a long time, but after a few days, we'll get over the loss somewhat and move on as we have in past situations such as this.

Anyway...I really appreciate the sentiments from everyone. Thank you all.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Touching story Tony - my heart goes out to you! Less than 5 years old - that is shocking. Most of us have had that same feeling too, that forlorn sense that something is wrong when we call a loyal pet's name and they don't come. I'll never forget when I found my old dog Buck (my first dog too - we were both practically raised together - I was only about 1 1/2 years older than him, he was a German short-hair/Shepherd cross) lying in the cool tall grass in the shade of our big Box Elder tree on Mother's Day after calling for him for a half hour. I knew when I went to look for him what I was looking for too, didn't make it any easier. He was old though and had survived strychnine poisoning as a pup, hip problems and cancer. He was 15.

RIP Sasha.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Sorry for your loss Tony,
My wife just lost her horse, she had him since she was 10 yrs old. She used to do equestrian shows with him. The horse was 28 yrs old. He was frisky as ever one Saturday night a few weeks ago but then when I went out Sunday morning he was laying in the pasture in a strange place. I hollered at him and he didn't move so I knew he was gone. It was hard to go back in tell the wife the bad news. It'll get better as time goes by.

Really sorry for your loss. My wife an I have a yellow lab who is just as good in the field as she is in the house with the wife an I. I can hardly imagine the sadness I will feel when she is gone hopefully many years in the future but hard to tell as Sasha's death shows.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-11 AT 06:35AM (MST)[p]Since the time I found Sasha early Weds., I've had a real difficult time coping with it. Every time I see something that reminds of her or if I think about her, I become a blubbering sissy.

I spoke to her vet yesterday and she guessed it was either a heart attack or some sort of stroke.

Sasha had her full annual check-up about a month ago, and nothing was amiss. She's been on thyroid medication for about a year. Even had her weight down to 80 lbs. her

What really bothers me most is not knowing if she could have been saved. I'll never know if quick medical attention might have prevented her death if it had happened while I was awake. It's especially bothersome considering she was fine not hours before.

The fact she went into that front bedroom to die makes me think she knew it was happening and seemingly didn't want us to know it or find her. Otherwise I can't explain why she would be where I found her since she never ventured into that room without El or I being there.

Worst of all, though, I never had a chance to say goodbye.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Sorry for the loss. I love my "big-fat-red-stinky-puppy more than most people and thought of him more than most when I was overseas. He is my best freind

1730my_puppy.jpg

Sorry to hear. My lab is at my feet as I type this. It seems most dogs know when it's time. My last dog was a dalmation, he was 15 when I put him down. He went out in the yard and dug himself a hole and I found him in it just barely hanging on. Took him to the vet and put an end to it. Best of luck to you and your wife, there will be better days ahead.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have
some good ideas!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom