San Juan/Monticello DWR

We need more details & More of your Thoughts?

They gonna go after the Bear & Lion Hunters First!

I'm Standing up for the Lion & Bear Hunters & the Use of Dogs!

When they take any of them 3 Things away You can Kiss Big Game Hunting Goodbye as Well!

>I feel like bear hunting with
>dogs has been targeted in
>the Las Sal Area, I
>would love to hear anyone
>else's thoughts.....

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-19 AT 09:54AM (MST)[p]My sister had a La Sal spring bear tag this year and hunted with dogs. There was a heavy DWR presence checking hunters and houndsmen. I love it and am a big supporter. I'd happily pay more money for licenses and tags if it allowed for more game wardens.

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've had my license checked in Utah throughout my whole life... not nearly enough. Poaching and wildlife crimes are far too prevalent and wardens are spread too thin!

Grizzly

-----------------------------------------

Ask yourself if you agree with the following statement...

"It's time to revisit the widely accepted principle in the United States and Canada that game is a public resource."
-Don Peay, Founder of SFW, as quoted in Anchorage Daily News

My frustration is we have been hunting with hounds in the la sal area for years and always try to follow everything in the bear proclamation but for the last year there is a certain DNR officer that has took it upon himself and start a one man mission to make that hard......he would actually be at a bear tree waiting for us to check our licenses/tags (which is great!) and then start accusing us of trespassing or ask us if our dogs have trespassed or if we know anyone that has crossed lines and if we don't tell him it's obstruction of justice.....he's just fishing for info.....he's been recorded talking to joggers asking them how the feel about houndsmen and what they could do to file a complaint....I know the ?well if your not doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about? saying but this is turning into harassment........my main question is has anybody else had a problem with this in this area?

He Tryin to SHINE His Badge?

I've Met Dennis Shumway a few Times & He's always been Decent with me!

Is it somebody else?

>I would recommend recording any interaction
>with him.

I disagree. I've spoken to Dennis several times on San Juan and La Sals and he has been great. I did some business with his brother and some extended family members and they have always been stand-up folks as well. I know a guy down there that helped on a poaching case and got a SJ tag for his efforts too. IMO, we need more wardens like Shumway!

Grizzly

-----------------------------------------

Ask yourself if you agree with the following statement...

"It's time to revisit the widely accepted principle in the United States and Canada that game is a public resource."
-Don Peay, Founder of SFW, as quoted in Anchorage Daily News

I can also vouch for D Shumway. He?s a stand up guy & a good conservation officer. We talked with him during our bear hunt & he was great. We had 2 summer bait tags. I can't say whether or not the OP was ?targeted,? but my experience with the head guy down there was good.....so I would be very surprised if that (intentionally) happened.

Shumway is not the officer in question....
I have spoke with shumway because of this situation and he was very nice and cordial.....
Adam Wallerstein, this is the officer I'm asking about and who currently has multiple open complaints against him....
I agree that there needs to be more ?shumways? on the mountain and that poaching is a problem and those people need to be stopped but there is a fine line between checking tags and catching poachers compared to harassing hunters and civilians wanting to enjoy a weekend with their families. I was just curious if anyone else has had issues over the past year in this area.......

>Shumway is not the officer in
>question....
>I have spoke with shumway because
>of this situation and he
>was very nice and cordial.....
>
>Adam Wallerstein, this is the officer
>I'm asking about and who
>currently has multiple open complaints
>against him....
>I agree that there needs to
>be more ?shumways? on the
>mountain and that poaching is
>a problem and those people
>need to be stopped but
>there is a fine line
>between checking tags and catching
>poachers compared to harassing hunters
>and civilians wanting to enjoy
>a weekend with their families.
>I was just curious if
>anyone else has had issues
>over the past year in
>this area.......

I Don't Think I've Ever Dealt with Him!

If He Intentionally Shows up in the Middle of Somebodies Hunt In Progress that ain't gonna go over too Well!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom