Sadr admits a$# whoopin/defeat in Iraq

202typical

Long Time Member
posted at 2:50 pm on March 20, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

When Moqtada al-Sadr extended his cease-fire in Iraq last month, many wondered what he had in mind. Did he intend to bide his time, purge his movement of dissenters, or simply withdraw from public life to study Islam in Iran? Almost two weeks ago, Sadr himself provided an answer. He failed:

?I have failed to liberate Iraq, and transform its society into an Islamic society.?
? Moqtada al-Sadr, Asharq Al Awsat newspaper, March 8, 2008

Moqtada al-Sadr ? the radical cleric dubbed ?The Most Dangerous Man in Iraq? by a Newsweek cover story in December 2006 ? has just unilaterally extended the ceasefire he imposed on his Mahdi Army militia last summer. And on the eve of the Iraq War?s fifth anniversary, Sadr also issued a somber but dramatic statement. He not only declared that he had failed to transform Iraq, but also lamented the new debates and divisions within his own movement. Explaining his marginalization, Sadr all but confessed his growing isolation: ?One hand cannot clap alone.?

What happened? Over the past five years, Sadr has been one of the most persistent and insurmountable challenges for the U.S. Leveraging his family?s prestige among the disaffected Shiite underclass, he asserted his power by violently intimidating rival clerics, agitating against the U.S. occupation, and using force to establish de facto control over Baghdad?s Sadr City (named after his father, and home to two million Shiites on the east bank of the Tigris) and large swaths of southern Iraq.

Sadr failed for a number of reasons, but chief among them was the change in American strategy in early 2007. Until the US began to fight with a counterinsurgency strategy, basic security needs had gone unmet, especially in Baghdad. Sadr filled the vacuum with his Mahdi Army, providing protection for the Shi?ite residents, especially in Sadr City. The US and the fledgling Iraqi security services were either unable or unwilling to protect Shi?ites against Sunni terrorists, but Sadr?s forces shielded them and allowed them to fight back against their tormentors.

Unfortunately for Sadr, two things occurred. His Mahdi militiamen applied their radical Islamist impulses to their own communities. While the Shi?a bitterly resented the Sunnis, they did not want to trade their relatively secular governance for a strict imposition of shari?a ? coincidentally, the same problem al-Qaeda in Iraq had in the Sunni areas they controlled. Shi?ites under the protection of the Mahdis came to resent their brutality almost as much as the Sunnis who attacked them.

When the US finally changed strategies and put boots on the street in Baghdad and elsewhere, the Shi?ites no longer needed the Mahdis for protection. They didn't have to choose between two different sets of oppressors, and responded to the professionalism of the US military and the growing Iraqi security forces we trained. The entire raison d?etre of the Mahdis and of Sadr dissipated in 2007, leaving Sadr with a damaged political base and no particular way to muscle his way back into power. Nouri al-Maliki realized this and dumped Sadr for the slightly more moderate Supreme Islamic Iraq Council, which has been Sadr?s political and militia opponent in the south since the invasion.

By the time 2008 arrived, Sadr had failed, and he knew it. Ending the cease-fire would only have left his organization vulnerable to coordinated attack from the central government and the more robust American forces. Worse, it would have forced new leadership to the fore in the Mahdi Army, leadership that Sadr would not be able to control. The surge has completely wrong-footed Sadr and left him with few options except in the religious sphere, where he will not cause much trouble.

This could still change, as Dan Senor and Roman Martinez warn. An eruption of sectarian violence could rebirth the conditions which gave Sadr power for a period of time. With more Iraqi troops coming on line and the Americans shifting to logistics and support, as well as rebuilding, that seems less and less likely.

Via Michael Goldfarb at the essential Weekly Standard blog, who notes: ?f Sadr required chaos in order to leverage support for his Islamist agenda, as Senor and Martinez suggest, then the surge has clearly chopped off that other hand.?

"Thanks climate PhD 202" - TFinalshot Feb-05-08, 02:16 PM (MST)

Wow we won and all is great. so we can bring most of the troops home right? why is Bush saying no?

Oh you of little faith. Hang in there Dude. Its almost over.

Dude - It's not like a football game when the clock ticks its last tick everyone goes home. Unfortunately most Dems don't understand that.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-21-08 AT 01:23PM (MST)[p]How is it almost over 202? The Iraqi police and military have proved they are totally incapable of doing much of anything. Who is going to keep Iraq from turning into trumoil and the terrorists from controlling things when we leave? I hope your right and it is almost over just two questions. Define what almost over is? Define almost 2 years 5, 10, 100?

I am no expert but I can see this thing winding down in 2 years. But as with Japan, Korea, Germany, Kuwait we will have a base there for a very long time.
Plus it makes a great starting point from which to invade China when the time comes.....................Just kidding.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-21-08 AT 05:02PM (MST)[p]I hope your right and you may be. I laughed awful hard with the invading China comment.

Cornhusker;

I have a very good friend that will be leaving the 24th for his third tour in Afganistan. He is a ex-police officer that works for a contractor on training the Afgan national police. He trains them in SWATT operations and CQB.
He advised me that during his first tour, he was very disapointed with the majority of the Afgan recruits. They had a lot of crooked ones from raw recuits to the minister of police. On the advice of of the Americans, a big shakeup took place and the dirty ones were kicked out right to the top ones.
Took over a year just to do this with the weeding out process and background security checks. He now informs me that the trainees have made big strides and he has alot more confidence in them doing the job. He feels that one or two years will have them fully capable of doing their job and taking over the security of their country. Most of the young, and educated recuits are very gung ho on having a democratic country and do not want to go back to the stone ages that they were in.
my friend further advised me that in Iraq he is getting reports that they are also on the same track, due to the policy change in conducting the war, and are now starting to see the same results, but a little further behind then the progress in Afganistan.
When this level is completed, they will be able to remove a good portion of the main line troops and have the covert units complete the training and remain a little longer as advisors. At this point the Afgans and Iraqs can be doing the vast majority of the operations and we will have a large portion of our troops back home. My friend is also very resentful of the press because they completly overlook the good things that are happening in both countries, and only report the incidents that are very negative to our citizens. We have a decent chance of winning this if our citizens have the fortitude to bear with it for another two years and it will be very obvious that we are winning and our children or grandchildren do not have to do it after another major attack on our country.

RELH

We didn't attack Afghanistan and we didn't set up a crumby puppet government there either so it's quite a different situation.

I doubt the parents of the 3 Marines killed today see Iraq as almost over, and we'll pass the 4,000 mark in the next week or so. it's good to be opimistic but not stupid, if after 5 years we have to leave 158,000 troops there for as long as we can see this is far from over.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-22-08 AT 07:53PM (MST)[p]Dude;

As usual, you resort to your "Quisling" remarks that are half baked. We did attack Afghanistan and assisted the Afgans from the Northern regions in overthrowning the taliban goverment.
If you can not add worthwhile information that has some substance, just wrap yourself in your blanket and craw back into your rabbit hole. You have very apparent personal reasons for hating the war in the middle east, and those reasons has nothing to do with our troops dying over there.
In fact the way you have stated, in other posts, about not liking the Arabs & the Jews makes me believe you are nothing but a closet bigot that has not the courage to admit you hate Jews and Arabs.
I guess we must attack someone you approve of attacking to make you happy.

RELH

RELH do you really think your opinion matters to me? I'm starting to think you do and I kind of feel sad for anyone simple. the chatter here is nothing more than entertainment, it's just a debate yet you can't seem to deal with that so you go on simplton attack mode everytime I make a post. when this ceases to amuse me or I get banned I'll move on, until then deal with it by changing your meds or whatever you think might help.

There are at least two sides to every story and it's pretty lop sided around here so I don't expect to win any popularity contest. please tell me you can grasp that and get your life back together, if not just ask and I'll post a list of bridges in your area you can jump off.

Dude you have convinced me that the American pioneers must have thoroughly enjoyed killing Indians.....

JB

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-08 AT 01:18AM (MST)[p]Jef;
At lease I have found out that moronic idiots and thin skin go hand and hand. I think he is about to stroke out.
Dude, please do post a list of bridges within 25 miles of my area. I would like to see if you can get something right for once. Besides you need the work to keep busy and and quit dreaming up your misinformed information based on B.S.
RELH

RELH that would be withing 25 miles of Hate Ashbury right? the Golden Gate will be your number one pick and you should be able to find it, off you go.

JB , it would seem they were'nt much better at it than Bush is in getting Bin Laden.

Little nasty don't you think? Agree to disagree and go on your way, sometimes awful easy to go overboard and make it personal.

Dude; You did not even get that one right. I live more then 200 miles from that bridge. In fact I have not been in San Francisco for over 15 years. I hate the place and it's liberal city Gov.
Would not bother me if it dropped off into the ocean, as long as Feinstein, Boxer, Pelorsi were home on that day, and Ted Kennedy was visiting them.

RELH

That's OK Dude. I relize that a person with limited intelligence will make mistakes like that and have a tendency to believe almost anything they hear. I won't hold it against you since you can not help it.

RELH

I'm smart enough not to believe anything you say, that makes me smarter than you right off.

Dude,

Are you sure there were 3 "Marines" killed on Saturday? Not trying to lessen the blow to the families. It's tragic when anyone is killed in war, but at least get the facts straight.

Al Anbar Province, run by Marines is getting ready to be turned over to the Iraqi Military. 4 years ago on my first tour, Ramadi and Fallujah were the two worst cities in Iraq. Now they are two of the safest and Anbar is relatively safe compared to just a year ago. The Iraqi military and Marines held a parade in Ramadi recently and amazingly enough, not a shot was fired at them. 2 years ago on my 2nd tour you couldn't go through Ramadi without getting sniped at or blown up.
This is just the start of a safer Iraq. The last Marine I know of KIA was over a month ago. It was a month before that to the last KIA. Prior to that the Marines went over 100 days without a KIA.
There are lessons to be learned there. Maybe we need to use those lessons in Baghdad and Mosul. They are now the two worst cities in Iraq.

Huntfx4,,,, My unit just rotated out of Mosul...it's getting better but we still had a few hodjes making some problems there.... I think he's talking about the 4 killed by an IED in Baghdad yesterday.

>Huntfx4,,,, My unit just rotated out
>of Mosul...it's getting better but
>we still had a
>few hodjes making some problems
>there.... I think he's talking
>about the 4 killed by
>an IED in Baghdad yesterday.
>

Welcome back!! Good to hear things are getting better there too.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom