RZR / side by side questions ?

foundation

Very Active Member
First off I agree Danner makes the best hunting rig, and further more I do not condone any type of off road vehicles off the trail. Now that the disclaimer is out of the way, I'm kicking around the idea of getting a Polaris RZR and I remember a post from a while ago that a bunch of members commented on. It appears that a few of you are using the RZR for hunting and I would like to hear the good, bad and any thing else you want to share.

I'm trying to decide on the 50 incher or the S model. I'm really tall and trying to sit in the 50 inch model is a little difficult from when I have sat in them in the showroom. The S model, sitting a little taller is easier for me to get in and out. My use would be mainly for antelope and bear hunting on two track roads that beat up a truck. Also my girl friend is wanting to tag along on more trips and riding on the back of a wheeler hurts her back, so she is really the one that wants a RZR.

I remember a 50 inch trail marker up by Strawberry and I understand there are more of those restricted trails in central Utah so I would probably like to stick with the 50 inch model. Have any of you guys tried a lift kit which I believe would give me the S model height.

Also what about the lack of engine brake? From experience my old sportsman sucked with out the engine brake. One last thing how about reliabilty issues and a machine with a thousand or a couple thousand miles on it? My sportsman is ten years old with 5,000 miles and I have had zero issues with it. Of course when I bought that one they talked me in to the extended warranty and I never used it once.

Sorry for all the questions but I figured I would like to hear from people that would use the machine like I would.

I am on my second RZR - 50" Here are some observations.

I went thru $2,000 of extended warranty. Starter went out and was(labor included) $1200 alone. The salesmen wanted $1400 for a five year plan. I purchased a four year plan at the dealership for $600.00. Don't pay what they ask. My RZR was down from the 25th of June until I traded it the first week of August. It took me a week to find out what was wrong and then I found out the fuel pump was back ordered six week delay. In my weaker moment I purchased a camo RZR. My old one was a 2011 model and had 6,000 Miles.

The Can-Am Commander is bigger and hotter than He** to ride in during the summer, its louder, rides worst than the RZR. My neighbor has one and I don't have much good to say about them.

Back to the RZR - the purchase price is just a starting place. Front window, back window, side curtains, doors, heater, muffler silencer, winch, heavier skid plate, dust free boxes, top. Then you need to fill the holes from dust coming in, new air box so you don't have to change or clean the filter after every trip. Bigger tires or lift kits. You can change the clutch which will have engine braking and there is filter system available second to none. If you should purchase one PM me and I will give you information on those two. One thing I should mention, don't get the high Polaris door or forget the 50" trails. I can also tell you where you can get some good doors.

Discouraged yet - Here's another one. There are so many people out there who now own side by sides that the mountain roads now need traffic lights at intersections, the dust is deep, unless of coarse it has rained then you have enough mud on your machine that it will take you a week to get it clean(it just "ain't" any easy ATV to wash). Here's another one - there are so many "seniors" driving the desert they are making deep "mogle ruts" just putting around that you better have good kidneys.

LOVE MINE - Wouldn't trade it.

Get a two up Can-Am 650. The Polaris are built cheap as mentioned above. I enjoy myself every time I use an RZR but just keep wondering what is going to break next.

If you must have one, go 50" all the way since they will be getting more strict on them as mentioned above too, there are too many in the hills now. A lift kit is easy to install but will only give you about 2 to 2.5" extra. The 50" is sub-par on the suspension compared to the S by a long shot too. Kinda of a dilemma I know!

So back to a Can-Am two up.

46002rzr.jpg

Here is a new Rzr 575 in front and a rzr le 800 in the rear. The problem is the 800 has pro armor doors that are a little wider at the top. It wont go threw the 50" gate. The 575 rzr scraped as it went threw the gate. That how tight some of these gates are.Oh and the 800 has the 2" lift kit.
If you are going to ride in utah much on any trail system . I would stay 50 " . They are great to ride. The 800 has a street legal kit on it and power steering. We also put tracks on it in the winter to pack into the cabin. I hear pro armor is now making doors that are 50" legal. Its a blast !!

I didn't say RZR's were cheaply built. I have many friends who have had them from 2009 and haven't had any problems - Just mine. I ride it rather than let it stay home in the garage. A hundred mile trail ride during the day has been common in the past.

My neighbor has the Commander with about 800 miles on it and what a clunker. Clutch slap like the bottom is coming out. If you purchase a Can-Am, purchase some asbestos pant while you're at it. You'll need them.

Honda ATV's - just ride them and forget them.

>
46002rzr.jpg

>
>Here is a new Rzr 575
>in front and a rzr
>le 800 in the rear.
>The problem is the 800
>has pro armor doors that
>are a little wider at
>the top. It wont go
>threw the 50" gate. The
>575 rzr scraped as it
>went threw the gate. That
>how tight some of these
>gates are.Oh and the 800
>has the 2" lift kit.
>
>If you are going to ride
>in utah much on any
>trail system . I would
>stay 50 " . They
>are great to ride. The
>800 has a street legal
>kit on it and power
>steering. We also put tracks
>on it in the winter
>to pack into the cabin.
>I hear pro armor is
>now making doors that are
>50" legal. Its a blast
>!!

So BIGJOHN?

Is this where you Swing to the Left to get around the Gate?:D

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

I have a 2009 with 6000 miles on it. Enjoyed the hell out of it. We ride it like a spent over used hooker. I have had a few issues with it. Had to replace the motor around 3500 miles and a clutch. Good thing I had a warranty on it so I didnt pay a dime other than what the extended warranty cost me. Im looking into buying a newer one this coming spring as mine has about been run into the dirt. A great hunting machine though.

I would go with the S version. In all honestly depending on where you ride there really are not that many 50 inch trails around. Everything now days are 60 inch machines. From what the polaris guys tell me they are doing away with the 50 inch trails. If they are already designated a 50 inch trail it will stay that way but from now they are going to 60 inch so most people wont have a problem.

Either way you wont be sorry. The razors have been a great machine for me and my family. We have 4 in my family and have enjoyed them.

nO bESSY !! As you can see there is a fence in front of me. I had to pull over to let the four wheelers in our group get by me. We knew they may be a problem. It was close but I didn't want to scratch the doors that are painted to match the rzr.

Canonball are those the doors made in central utah ? I have never seen a set in person. I would like to check a set out sometime. Looks like they fit threw a 50" gate ;-)

Thanks guys, you have all ready given me more things to consider before I pull the trigger. I was initially thinking about a used one with out any kind of warranty, but now maybe a warranty isnt such a bad idea.

The doors would be a big deal for me also since the big reason I want one is when I'm doing the bear bait thing the weather is allways lousy and I'm getting wet and muddy even with rain gear on while I'm on my sportsman. I would have guessed that those doors would have just pulled off easy with pins so a guy could fit through the 50 inch gates.

I thought about the 2 up machine from canam and polaris, but they are all most as much money as the rzr and I would be in the same boat as I all ready am with my Sportsman. Also the commander was out of the question due to the width and I couldnt even fit in the cab. I was really surprised when I tried to sit in the commander and there was no leg room.

Bigjohnt with that 2 inch lift what size tires are you able to run and have you had any cv issues with the lift ? Sweet setup Canonball. I'm digging that rack system and the box on top.

Yes they fit through a 50" trail and they sure hold out a lot of dust. I have a short bed GMC with a special tailgate I had made for extra support and I can drive the RZR into the bed of the truck between the wheel wells, and climb over the doors without opening them to get out. Big benefit.

sent pm the door maker's telephone number. These are the Shepherd doors from Central Valley, UT

Buy a John Deere Gator XUV. Best side by side I have ever seen. It is a pack horse, mtn cruiser, hauling machine. I cannot rave about it enough.

All polaris's are made cheap, lets not kid ourselves. I actually have the data and facts to back that up if you need them. I said they are a ton of fun and the performance is awesome, but plan on some parts.

The can-am commander is a turd, the atv's are awesome if you need a two up.

Too bad Yamaha and Honda are scared to build a performance machine. I have heard some secrets in the industry Honda "may" be getting close with a new one. Lets Hope so.

The 570 is probably the best choice since it uses a different motor that is built by a different company. Much quieter and more reliable.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-12 AT 09:34PM (MST)[p]You have to be carefully when changing tires and rims on a 50" legal machine. It is very easy to make it to wide. As a matter of fact my 700 sportsman has big horns on it, and it is a tight fit going threw the 50" gates.
As for the 2" lift no problems. After over 1000 miles we have never had a problem with the machine. But my family has had a polaris rig for years and know the weakness of belt drive machines. You cant treat them like chain drive machines in other words. Here is a picture of it with tracks on it.
The 570 is a neat ride. It has a little 900 in it. It is also about even with a 800 . They sell for under 10 grand brand new.
7033rzron55.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom