Rookie question... please help

I

IDAbowhunter

Today was opening day in the general archery season that I am hunting. I have never killed an elk with my bow so I am new at this. This morning I hiked into this canyon and a bull responded to my cow calls. I thought there were two bulls that sounded pretty young, but they shut up as soon as the more mature bull started bugling. I closed the gap between me and the big bull, cow calling every once in a while. I got a little excited (just a little) and ended up in a patch of bushes when I met the bull instead of in a good setup. I got out of the bushes and the bull busted me at about 30 yards. I cow called a few times and he stopped, then continued to high-tail it out of there. He was a really nice bull I would say 330 from what I saw. My question is do you guys think he will still be in that canyon this weekend or do elk tend to leave a drainage for good if they get spooked?
Thanks.

He may stick around unless he is feeling really pressured, however, he probably learned his lesson in regards to your calling.

You are screwed if you think you can predict where he went. It's a waste of time so just pick a spot and start hunting again. No second guessing. The elk are where you find them.

I have found elk behavior to be very different from mountain range to mountain range, even drainage to drainage. There are some areas that I hunt that if I spook a bull I won't likely ever see him again. On the other hand some other places I hunt the elk will simply circle around you and never really leave the area. You need to learn the area you are in and also the elk behavior in that that area. Good luck, As stated before he will be wise to your calls now.

Traditional >>>------->

I missed a bull Sunday night and saw him 1.5 miles away the next morning with his cows

Switch calls and use a different bugle and start use cow calls more. Good chance he wouldn't be in that drainage, But I think he will be with a mile or so of it or just the next deep thick nasty cover one.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

+1 on gator, switch calls and calling strategies to try and locate him again. He may stick around or he may be 10 miles away. Elk are unpredictable that way...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom