rookie antelope hunter

A

alwaysruttin

I am thinking about applying for a Nevada antelope hunt. The archery date are Aug 1-20 where as the rifle hunt is slightly later. Is there an advantage to going early to offset the weapon like they do with elk? Are decoys used during the archery season?
thanks

Some of my friends enjoy the antelope archery hunt. According to them sitting water works the best. I don't know if the early season makes that big of a difference. Also your odds of drawing greatly increase with archery.

"You only live once,but if you work it right, once is enough" -Joe E. Lewis

there arent any decoy restrictions or anything like that. the advantage to the early archery is that you are of the first big game hunters to go afield for the season so the critters arent as wary. again, tags are much much easier to draw for the archery hunt. plus, if you are unsuccessful, you may apply the next year. if you get an any legal weapon tag and are unsuccessful however, you have to wait five years. when i am eligible for antelope again i will definitely put in for archery because i care more about getting out than being successul and archery antelope provides a better solution to satisfying my desire to hunt. remember though that the hunt is early and before the rut so you will likely be limited to sitting water holes. another advantage is that there are many areas where you will be virtually all alone which will definitely help out. what is even more is that because it is an easier draw, it is a lot more reasonable to draw a pretty good area maybe without any points even. anything further, pm me.

Happy Hunting

ruttin,

I personally think you got some good advice. I think the antelope rut in mid-september, so that won't be a factor. They have to drink though, so that would be the best approach.

They are fun and Nevada will give you that chance at book animals. I would recommend applying which ever weapon you decide. If you draw study up on what makes a good goat and look for a Nevada trophy. You will like it I am sure. I would imagine a goat with a bow would be a challenge. With a rifle it is fun if you sort through them trying to find a quality buck.

Good luck...

I bowhunted antelope in Nevada three times, all back in the early 1990s. It was a great experience, even though I never did shoot a buck. I was holding out for something special, didn't care if I punched a tag or not, but if I did it was gonna be a pig. It's wonderful high desert country, and there are some special bucks out there. I hunted unit 015, so if any of your draw an archery pronghorn tag out there, let me know and I'll give you some good places to hunt. Haven't been there in a very long time, but nobody moved the waterholes. Hunting water in August is the only way to bow hunt them if you have any expectation of success. There were days out there that the temps were over 100 degrees, so they drink a lot that time of year.

Be prepared for some desolation if you go. I had times out there when I didn't see another person in an entire week of hunting. It's awesome.

CAelknuts is right about the 100 degree temps while antelope hunting Nevada. Here I am on my 2003 hunt.

47f2dd5f505f6c96.jpg

>CAelknuts is right about the 100
>degree temps while antelope hunting
>Nevada. Here I am on
>my 2003 hunt.
>
>
47f2dd5f505f6c96.jpg

what a dork.......lol

JB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back