Rocky mountain goat mounts

M

MH1

Just wanted to get a few opinions on full versus half body mounts. any opinions or likes and dislikes?

MH1

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-09 AT 03:40PM (MST)[p]Mark, since your hunt is early the hair will be short. i would stay away from a rug with the short hair but that is only 1 guys opinion. i personally dont like the 1/2 mounts either. it freaks me out when they look like they are walking through the wall. i say head/shoulder mount or full body mount. might even try one laying on a rock full body since you wont have the long hair to show. ....again, just 1 guys opinion.

shoot a big one.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com
Blacks-Creek Packs Dealer

I'm leaning towards a full body mount. I guess there are a lot of options. Lying down, coming down a rock ect.. any good pictures of laying down mounts?

I have a goat tag this year and it is full body for me. I think anything else with a goat just looks goofy. Half mounts are the worst looking IMO.

IMO Mountain Goats are one of the few animals where the
trophy is not in the "horns". To me its all in the cape.

Having said that, a full body mount is the only thing I would consider.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-09 AT 06:31PM (MST)[p]I agree with Woodruff, the hide/hair are the real trophy of a goat. I don't like goats lieing down as much as goats standing. To me a goat is majestic if it is standing. Uphill poses look great, just don't get too carried away with action in the mount. Downhill can look good also, if the goat has some motion to it. Best of luck on your hunt. You will have a blast. My wife's goat hunt was one of most fun hunts I have been on.

I guess I should say that I like full-mounts best. I also have liked shoulder mounts and tanning the back-half of the hide as a throw rug. Lots of options.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

MH1,

I know I am going to take a tongue lashing, but we are doing a shoulder or pedestal. Goats are neat and the full bodies are the best, but I refuse to pay thousands to do a full body. May do the pedestal to try to dress him up a bit? Now if it is a new world record or something I would reconsider.

Here is one I pulled off the web that I like a lot.

4a95ef7b40a17d08.jpg

KTC, I know the price of a full body mount really hits you hard (or at least it does me) but are you sure on that? With it being a once in a lifetime hunt do you think you would regret it? Those are just questions I asked myself and even my wife who doesn't get involved in my hunting (although she is quite supportive) agreed that it is worth the extra dough to go full body on a goat. We are just going to buck up and do the full body. Anyways, just my thoughts and you did request a tongue lashing. :)

I've got a full bodied form laying down that looks nice. Just need to get everything over to the taxi man. Would've gone standing but my moose currently occupys that vaulted end of the ceiling. For me, more goes into it than just saying I like one over the other.

alp,

Yes we are sure. We have talked about it and it is a lot of money. One problem is the hair probably wont be great in mid to later Sept. Also, my trophy room is about full. Money is a part of the issue as well. I think a pedestal will look very good also?

I like your decision. For me, I am going a different route.

Alp,

Wow, that is one AMAZING mount you found! That is a very unique
rock formation and a great looking goat! Maybe you can find me a good example for my life size bear lol....

Nothing wrong with 1/2 lifesize in the right position, Standing doesn't look right at all
DSC00046.jpg

IMO a full body is the only way to go on a mountain goat. Like has already been said, the half body looks weird. Even the shoulder mounts don't do a goat justice. A pedistal done right might be interesting though.

I understand the cost issue however. When I had mine done about 15 years ago, I paid near $2K. It is probably double that now days.

Good luck

Jon
www.HuntersTrailhead.com

4a9c93554d016f44.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-09 AT 03:46PM (MST)[p]I couldn't justify the price of a full body mount either. I'm sure it would have been cool, but just to much for me. Went with a shoulder mount and had the rest of the hide tanned.
DSC02804.jpg

Hey guys,

I have a UT goat tag this year and want to do a full body mount. I am doing a dorsal cut on the cape but in UT you have to have evidence of sex attached to the carcass. How do you do a full cape and leave evidence of sex attached?

Thanks,

Horniac

LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-09 AT 08:33PM (MST)[p]Horniac,

Paul Pennie is right in town below your unit. Get it to him and he can get you lined out. He has a full body of his Box Elder goat in his shop. He killed a tank up there!

btw ELKO, I like your shoulder mount! I cannot justify the cost either. If money was no object I would do the body. I may look into a wall pedestal or maybe a pedestal?

There are only a few all white animals in the world...mount them life size in my opinion to celebrate the animal (I have 2 shoulder mounted goats and wish I had done my first one life size).

4aaa403f1a22c539.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom