Rockfishing tomorrow-Can't wait

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I'm heading down to Oxnard tonight to fish off the Mirage tomorrow. We get on the boat at 9:30 pm and when we wake up in the morning, we'll be on the backside of one of the islands ready to catch sheepshead, lingcod, white seabass, and a plethera of rockfish. I'll be fishing with my Dad, bro-in-law, and many uncles. I can't wait. I'll take some pictures and post them up on Saturday.

Steve

Take some Iron ( diamond bars and big heavy spoons) I catch much better fish with these lures as opposed to shrimp flies.. ...I always like to fish close to the bow so I can underhand cast out aways from the other anglers and avoid tangles in heavy wind or tide...

Also id you are taking your own tackle spool up with some 65 lb power pro braid...The small diameter allows for more line on a real and less bow in the line from current...Plus it is super sensitive especially when you have 400' of line out...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Damn Snort....we'll probably be fishing in no more than 250 feet of water. We'll be using live anchovie and cut up squid. Drop it down, one or two cranks off the bottom as to not snag and wait for the hit. Set the hook, reel it up and see what you got. On the back side of the islands there normally is not much current, wind or swell. I'm hoping it's a calm day...I have been know to "chum". :( I can't wait!!

Steve

Yeah...but I have fished 300' of water but let out 400' before it hit bottom and that was with 12-16 0z diamond bars...It was a little bit rough and windy that day though...lol

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I was in Alaska in May. We were using 3 lb. weight fishing in 190 ft. After 9 halibut and about 15 cod and one skate, I was beat!

Good luck Wiz.

Eel

I couldn't imagine fishing with 3 lb weights! I'll be you were beat. I'm hoping to catch me some big sumbitches. :) I'll let you know how it goes.

Steve

Rutnbuck, these were not "true" cod (according to the captain), so we used them for bait, along with a piece of herring. This is the only fish pic I got, after my sister raided the box.

91942010fishbox-004.jpg

Whiz....Walmart has some great deals on garden fertilizer. You don't need to go to all that trouble to go get it from the source.

Here are some pics of the fishing trip from last Friday. Had a good time. We fished the backside of Santa Rosa Island. Heres my brother in law brite and early. The morning was calm and nice to see the sunrise.
2286life-fishing-kids-2010_105.jpg

Here's a Blue and a red
1292life-fishing-kids-2010_106.jpg

A salmon grouper or boccacio
8665life-fishing-kids-2010_107.jpg

My bro in laws big red
5185life-fishing-kids-2010_109.jpg

Steve

Looks like a great time! Did you catch a lot?
.....but more to the point, did ya puke? :)

Just a tease!

It was a rather slow day due to the weather. We had to keep relatively close to the island becuase it was extrememly windy outside. We still all limited out on rockfish (10) and caught a few other species (whitefish, bocaccio, sand dabs). Overall, not what you want on a deep sea trip but we still had a good time. I did not get sick, however, after 4 hours of fishing, I did need to lay down for an hour or so. I was on the edge of being ok and not feeling well. My Dad was the only one who puked and he didn't do that until the way in....it was very rough. Jackpot was won by a 5-6 pound lingcod. Only two legal ling's were caught.

Steve

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom