Rock Fish Wars

eelgrass

Long Time Member
"Rock Fish Wars" is a local ocean kayak fishing tournament here. It's this weekend and I'm going. It's a blast.

One of the categories is for the largest fish caught on a Barbie Pole.

Here's my buddy at last year's event. lol

Have Fun Steve, just keep an eye out for the Landlord and don't get too far out! I can't get fresh bottom fish like that up here and i really miss it.

For a bit there, I thought that little reel was going fly into a hundred pieces! :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

The biggest bass I have ever caught - around a 6 or 7 pounder - was caught on a Barbie pole. They are great tools - keep you from being over confident!

Equally so - the best golf shots I have ever hit were with a Pink Lady golf ball. I played with that thing for 3 solid years and couldn't lose it! It was my "water ball" - I could hit a Titelist Pro V1 over a water hazard and sure as spit I would sink that thing right in the damn drink! But that freaking Pink Lady made it over - EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I think I finally gave it to my daughter.

Oh and the last eagle I hit was with my daughter's club from about 70 yards off the green. I hit my first shot well to the left of the cart path and my brother was to the right. I let him take the cart and grabbed what I thought was a 4 iron, a wedge, and my putter. I hit my second shot with the 4 iron up to 70 out and walked up to the ball to hit it with the wedge only to discover that I had grabbed my daughter's 7 iron by mistake. Not sure how it ended up in the bag, but I wasn't about to walk all the way over to the cart just to change clubs. I figured I would just hit it thin and try to bump and roll it up to the hole. Worked perfectly - right in to the cup for an eagle! That club is now a staple in my bag.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Congrats Roy, you are one of the few here that could successfully transition from fishing in the Ocean with a Barbie pole, to Bass fishing, to making Golf shots, and stay on or near the topic! Well done! lol

Eel, did you go? let's see some of that what i been missing! :)

Eel, i have a question for you that you might know something about. Years ago i used to go on party boat trip at least once a year and try to get a good sack of filet for the freezer. We usually did pretty good though the fish never lasted near as long as we'd like because it fixed up so well and was in high demand from dinner guests.

Anyway, there were stories going around back then that the Party Boat Captains knew places up the Coast where they could get into the Big Lings but they rarely took people or Parties there because those were the breeder fish that populated the whole coastal ling habitat.

My question. Do you think that the current wave of one man craft that is so popular are the ones now catching these "breeders" and might it damage the resource down the line? Thanks!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I believe.....there ain't a party boat captain alive or dead that wouldn't park his boat over the queen lingcod herself......if it meant full bags and big tips.

Homer, Yep, that's what i thought too. But then again, that's his bread and butter and i was told, i read it someplace like fish sniffer also, that they refuse to book trips to certain areas at certain times of the year knowing that they'd hammer em.

I love Ling Cod on the table but they got to be the ugliest fish swimming! lol

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-15 AT 03:26PM (MST)[p]I made an appearance, but between a lackluster performance and a mild case of sea sickness, I bailed early. I'm too old to follow those young guys around much. They're too stupid to know any better.:)

Well, I haven't heard of that in my time Joey. We live in a new world now though. First off everyone has sonar and GPS (even the kayakers) and there are no secret spots. Every good spot has been located and documented. Some people follow charter boats no matter where they go. It irritates the charter boat captains but there's not much they can do about it.

Secondly, the fishery is so regulated that nobody could wipe the fish out. For the most part, the large ling cod are females and they spend the summer in water deeper than 120'. It's illegal for sport fishermen to rock fish in water deeper than 120'. The females do come in shallower when they spawn, but typically only after the season has closed. Imagine that.:)

Thirdly, there are now marine refuges where no fishing is allowed. This ensures that fish will be around long after us humans have become extinct.

Fourthly, all season long there are "fish counters" waiting at all ports. They greet you as you land and inspect every fish.

It's kind of working though, as they raised the daily limit of ling cod from 2 to 3 per day. The smaller ones are better eating too.

Edit: You don't need to hire a lawyer to fish California, but it is advised.:)

Eel

Guns are like parachutes. If you need one and don't have one you probably will never need one again.

"The females do come in shallower when they spawn, but typically only after the season has closed. Imagine that."

Eel. thanks bud. It was just something struck in my head from long ago. Maybe it was during the spawn, sounds right, but then if the season was closed, it wasn't a option they had like i remember it.

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom