Roadbike crash....would you sell it?

slamdunk

Me and my woman were riding seperate bikes this weekend together. Went to Mesa falls, up to Island Park then on into Yellowstone to old faithful, back to island park for the night. The next morning we headed down into Tetonia and Victor, ate lunch and headed home up over Teton pass. Well, a motorhome was in a bigger hurry than we were (we were doing about 50mph on a downhill very winding road) flashing his lights and riding my butt hard to get out of his way. I got over near the shoulder and watched my Fience in front of me on her bike get over TOO far and hit the soft shoulder in the road which immediately sent her to the ground rolling. I slowed hard and fast steering into her direction, hit same soft spot and flipped mine as well. We walked away with slightly busted up bikes and bodies, we feel lucky....to say the least. Motor home didn't even stop!
Question.......would you keep riding or trade the bikes in and find a new hobby after an experience like this??

Glad you're both OK PUNK!

We only live once!

Keep on doing what we like to do!

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

You're gettin old PUNK!

Just not at Heart!

So how much Road Rash did you two end up with?

That crap burns!:D

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-11 AT 06:10PM (MST)[p]Geez that sounds scary . Glad your still able to tell the story and walk away from the situation that could have been deadly .

We all have our hobbies or sports that are dangerous , and we all have to decide what is a acceptable danger level .
Glad your all right .

I hit a greasy corner gonig 40 one day on mine and got busted up bad, 3 surgeries from that so far... Anyways I kept the bike and was back to riding about 7 months later. I was in a turning lane stopped waiting for traffic and got rear ended. It threw me back into my sissy bar which shot me up in the air... The rest of the wreck went underneath me before I lit on my backside and bounced into the median. Destroyed the bike and I never got another!
I miss riding but it has complicated my entire life especially when it comes to mobility and I am only 26.
My advice is get a new hobby. Too many idiots on the road.

Well Punk, I road bikes for a lot of years. But I've been in this wheelchair for almost 28 years since my wreck, and although I always wished I could climb back on one, there are 20 times more vehicles on the roads now, and too damm many things I wish I could do.

Tough decision for sure, but you gotta decide if you've had a full life.

Yelum

I knew YELUM would chime in, your the first person i thought of when this happened!

Bessy, we walked away with a few stitches and bruises in our legs, and my left elbow is trashed, but we still have a pulse!
Her bike is ok, very minor scratches, mine didn't fare so well. Dented gas tank, bent back brake lever and foot pegs and my handle bars are crooked, but we milked them home.

YELUM....Box boy is safe and sound, i promise i didn't high jack him!

Well Slammy, I'm glad you guys are still breathing to enjoy another hunt. ID, WY, and maybe NV are about the last 3 states I'd consider riding and think myself safe, but you never know. Even when you do everything right, somebody elses mistake can get you. I've lost a few friends that way.

One of these days we'll have to get together and square up on boxboy.

Yelum

I like to ride bikes as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't ride on a highway if you paid me to.

Last week I was driving up 89 south of Panguitch and a biker was riding along the white line when he hit a soft spot along the edge of the road. His front wheel caught and it flung him out into the road in front of me. Luckily for both of us there was no oncoming traffic and I was able to jerk the wheel and avoid killing him. It scared the hell out of me, and I'm sure it was worse for him. If there had been a car coming the other direction I'm certain that I would have killed a biker.

My advice would be if you must ride, ride a road that is off the beaten path, especially during the busy summer months.

People killed every year here between Bryce and Zion. Just too many cars on the road to take your life into your own hands.

DeerBeDead

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-11 AT 09:19PM (MST)[p]I'm not trying to second guess your riding strategy, but when I rode, I took an mentally agressive approach.

I wasn't there, I didn't see the motorhome coming, but I'm from the school that I can out corner his azz thru this canyon until I can find a safer spot to pull over and let him pass. I lost my edge on a soft shoulder once...ONCE! And I'm sure the one reason you pulled over was because she went to the ground....

That being said, I am truely glad you two are still kicking! As for whether to continue to ride or not....? Tough call. My vote- keep the bike, and don't make the decision so soon after the wreck...give it time, and answer it later with a clearer head. If you decide 6 months from now(wait that'd be winter in I.F.)...if in a year you decide you want to saddle up again, you still have it.

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

Slammy,

From my view of this accident and YOU BOTH were able to walk away with just a few bruises etc. then you were lucky.
There are way too many people on the roadways these days and all in a hurry and no regards to the other vehicles and/or Motorcycles.

20 years ago this month, the 14th to be exact, I lost my younger brother from an accident he had not going more than 25 miles an hour on his Harley, we will never know exactly what happen but most likely the sun blinded him as he came into a turn and he went off the road, the bike landed on top of him and he died later that night in hospital....they could not stop the internal bleeding.

I have had 5 bikes in my younger years too and always enjoyed the rides BUT will never ride another since loosing my younger brother at the age of 46 years old.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Dust off that Bass boat Slam... If you wanna ride bikes ride the ones that stay on the dirt...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-11 AT 10:56PM (MST)[p]Slammy, dang man, you are lucky, talented or both. I'd have had body parts strewn from Victor clear into Jackson if I'd have laid one down at that speed.

I've always love motorcycles, owned a couple. Short of free falling it has to be one of the most free and exhilarating things you can do. It actually clears my mind like nothing else. I love it but I've no longer own one and rarely ride.

Now what I'm an old fart I can finally afford a good quality road bike and I have three very good friends who go on long long trips and I hate it that I'm not with them. But, I'm a guy that plays the odds and calculates the benefits. Some years ago I just said, if I keep doing this, one of these days I'm going to come off this thing and press myself up against something really hard, is it worth the exhilaration and the other benefits and slowly but surely decided I would have to pass on the cycle. Do I miss it, yes. Will I give into the urge or the desire to be out there with my buds, nope, just not going to do it.

Do I feel less of a man or a coward, ya I've had those thoughts but as I look back on the many things I've done over the years I've talked myself back to what I believe is a more prudent position. I want to be here, with all my limbs and spine for another 50 years, therefore, no more bikes.

Now one of my buddies has a Spyder, three wheeler, now that's tempting!!

Whatever you decide is right for you, I wish you and your sweetie the best and rapid and complete recovery. I wasn't your time partner. The world looks a whole more amazing after one of those tumbles.

DC

Glad you both are ok Slammer!
your crash reminds me of my skydiving incident. While I loved jumping out of a plane and free falling, I didnt like it when my chute didnt open. lucky for me my reserve did and brought me to the ground but my body was already shutting down from shock. I loved it but NEVER AGAIN!

I enjoyed having a bike for summer rides before I got married . but now I wouldnt own one . I cant stand the thought of leaving behind my wife and kids to fend for themselves and thats my biggest motive. I dont want to put myself in a positon where it can all be taken. I want to be there for my kids and watch them grow and give them everything they need. Im not afraid to die but im gonna try and stay away from it for another 50 years or so.
Now, maybe when my boys are teens, they will drive me to get another bike. :)

I kind of like the idea of "catching" the motor-home driver. Truth is, I've not had any of my bikes down....not since all those ditch banks and dirt roads on the farm. Can't say what I'd do if I'd had as close a call as you've had...but I SURE ENJOY riding. Can't really see quitting until He calls me back home. I doubt I'll be able to change things when THAT time comes.

You must be quite close by here......Pocatello?

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I'm just happy you both weren't seriously injured!! Sooooo damn scary dude, way to many accidents happening lately...

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/Feleno/zFix.jpg[/IMG] ~Z~

Slam, glad you're both ok. I don't do motorcycles so I can't comment about whether you should give it up. If you're like most riders I know I couldn't convince you if I tried.

My dad made a comment to me when I was 14 and wanted a motorcycle so bad. I was just sure that would propell me into "coolness". I thought his wisdom was the dumbest thing I'd ever heard but in the end he was right as always. He told me "when you get hurt on a motorcycle you get hurt bad, and when you get killed, you're dead for a long time". Lol!

gb22- yes i live in IF, just moved here last november from Utah.

I love all the insight i'm getting, that's what i was fishing for. Since the accident we have both been back on and ridden short trips around town just trying to work the bugs out of our heads. It took her an extra day to get on hers, but she did it alone and on HER terms. We have a trip planned this weekend to Virginia City Montana....but this time we are taking the car ;-)
My bike needs repairs and paint, still undecided what it's fate is.
We both looked the grim reaper right in the eye and told him "not today sir.....not today".

Me and the wife just got back from a 2300 mile ride up through oregon and down the coast. We had everything from cars pullin out in front to a tent coming off the top of a SUV we was behind on the freeway and having to swerve around it. There is always something out there to be watching for.

Glad you guys made it out alright that is a scary thing. There is nothing more free and better to me than riding the bike. I will never sell it and i will ride till the day im in the ground. The way i see it life comes and goes in the blink of an eye and you never know when that is gonna happen so we better enjoy the hell out of it while we can.

Don't sell it boss. Keep on riding

Are you talking about road bicycle like a Schwinn or motorcycle like a Honda? Most responses on here seem geared toward motorcycle riding.
My advice would be sell it and buy a mountain bike.

Glad you are O.K.....sounds like the Motorhome lost his brakes??..YELUM...How did you get busted up...I've rode
bikes on and off since I was 15...fortunately just a couple
broken ribs and some road rash..all self-induced...I don.t
ride heavy traffic neither...mostly on the dirt backroads by myself..

It's good to hear you both made it out of that without more serious injuries. I'd personally give it up. Too many yahoos on the friggin road don't give 2 cents for anybody else on the road. Not to mention all the ones with their eyes glued to the phone! A co-worker was killed last year right in front of the shop. He had an old timer harley, and he never got silly. Always wore his helmet, etc. Driver with no license, no insurance and in a vehicle that wasn't even registered to be on the road made a left hand turn rt in front of him, just as he was about to turn into the shop parking lot. He didn't make it. The other driver didn't even know what the hell hit her, she pulled in and then got out to look. Sad deal.

Best of luck

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have
some good ideas!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-06-11 AT 01:10PM (MST)[p]Me personally I gave it up I was doing about 70 down the highway when a car pulled up to the side road looked a me and then proceded to pull out in front of me other lane was full I was braking hard and headed for the shoulder at which point the car then swerved for the emergency lane too!!! I slid right up under the bumper luckily came away with a few scratches Now I still ride snowmobiles and dirt bikes,I trust myself just not others on the road. It wasn't worth getting killed over, sure I still have the urge every now and then but life is too precious to me and when cars and bikes collide the bike always loses. too many bad drivers out there!!!! sorry to hear about your misfortune its far too common
7mm wsm 600yrd. and closer checkmate

I sold my bike the week after I layed it down the first time. Too many close calls and I figured I had used my luck up. I've seen too many bike wrecks and most aren't as lucky as you and your gal were my friend. Glad we're not seeing your ugly mug on the obituary page!!!

It's always an adventure!!!

You'll have to decide the trade offs. I'm glad you both came out of it okay. As tageater says, in hindsight you can see that cracking the throttle and getting ahead to a safe pull out would have been good. I don't ride as much as I used to but still do a little. You have to learn to be a very defensive driver if your riding the street. Train yourself to continually scan the environment for potential problems and respond at the ready. Bikes are a blast, but definitely not the safest transportation if that is the number one consideration.

Slammy, you talking pedal bike or motorbike??

YELUM, I'd be interested in hearing what yours was; the only vehicle I drive is my hunting rig or my working rig, the rest of the time I pedal my way around. Raced for a few years until my neck doc told me the next would make me a fusion candidate.

But I still bomb Emigration at 40mph. My bike is the only thing that keeps me somewhat sane, I think.

That being said, a really really nice guy whom I met last year in the crit series and who was doing nothing but trying to learn to race, on a closed course, crashed into another racer last week.

I saw him come into the trauma room. He never went home.

Like anything else, life has risks. If I could package in a minute what I've seen as life-changers and takers; we would all still take that chance. Just maybe a bit slower and with more thought.......

Slammy, glad you guys are still here with us.

Pred

A couple have asked if this was a pedal bike or motorcycle incident.....these are big road bike motorcycles. I ride a V-Star and hers is a Vulcan.
We trust ourselves as safe riders, TOO safe in some cases as was the case in this incident. We yielded to a foolish motorhome driver and put our selves at risk.
We were only doing about 50mph enjoying our downhill winding ride to the bottom of Teton Pass a mile above Swan Valley.
We may have survived the crash, but i still may lose my Fience' over it....She's from Maryland and it has made her extremely homesick, it's all i can do to talk her into staying here and working through this with me. The driver of the motorhome has NO idea what damage he has caused in our lives.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-11 AT 10:42AM (MST)[p]Sorry to hear of your troubles Slammy - you will get through it like you always do.

As far as motorcycles go - it is quite a connumdrum. There are a lot of riders out there who never have any problems and take lots of risks and chances. The statistics speak for themselves. It is a lot like flying - the crashes are bad when they happen but the wreck to rider ratios are not much worse than for automobiles though you are 35% more likely to get in a serious accident on a motorcycle than in a car.

Then there are stories like these:

My uncle was a Motorcycle officer for the Salt Lake County Sherrif Dept. Even rode in the parades with the precision team. Highly trained, highly skilled, highly aware of the dangers - was taking his new bike for a spin around the block, doing 30MPH with his daughter on the back - a deer jumped out right in front of him - nothing he could do. Did the best he could to save his daughter, she just got some bad road rash on her butt, he was caught between the bike the road and the deer - no helmet, suffered severe brain trauma and is still recovering from it nearly 20 years later.

My cousin - 23 years old, riding his dirt bike took a hell of a crash - severed his spine and has been in a chair since then.

I just don't know if the risks are worth it.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

I rode for years and it's not a matter of "if" you crash it's a matter of "when" if you ride long enough. I lucked out and sold mine before the "when" happened. For me, it's not worth the risk.

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

I shattered my wrist,collapsed the joint, broke my jaw, 4 ribs, tail bone, and all my teeth. Sold my bike after 3 months and I was able to get around. I miss it bad, but I don't want to die on one. Also I didn't think I could ever ride the same. I was too timid after the wreck and it wasn't as fun.

My opinion of Road Bikes is this: I believe they are a machine for solitary pursuits. Even if you ride with your girl on back, there is no possibility of conversation. I know you can get microphones and such, and I think that is an improvement, but a trip like yours, I'd prefer to have my girl by my side so that we can have a relaxed conversation about the country we are seeing...

I say sell them and get the two of you something you can really enjoy together... How about a Jeep..?? :D

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

They call them "donor-cycles" for a reason. Still remember a guy they rolled into the ER I was covering. He went head-first into a telephone poll -- DOA.
Did you see the headline this past weekend about a biker on the east coast, riding in a rally to protest helmet laws? He crashed and died. Wasn't wearing a helmet.
Motorcycles are fun, but as stated above: it isn't if you crash, it's when.

hi.its real bad down driving in vegas,like one persona week dies down there,they say dont drive in the valley,just dirt bike in the hills,its safer

Well the verdict is in.....after riding our bikes this weekend again post crash we have decided to trade both of them in on a nice jeep. That way we still enjoy the wind in our hair and the smells of the outdoors and share it with the kids.
Thanks browningrage.....your the winner!!

Jeeps are definately fun... Put her in the boat wearing a bikini then head for rough water...... lol

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom