river hunting gear?

K

KBKILLER

i'm hopeing to get some insights, that i haven't thought of , from some of the guys who have done float trips for hunting.

my cousin drew one of oregons best sheep tags this year. the hunt is going to be done 100% floating the river. it's a 70 mile float. i've done a ton of bivy style hunts for up to 10 days, he's gone a few times with me.

i've been trying to think of gear that i should have, that i normally wouldn't think of, since were going to be on the river alot.

any ideas? thanks- brian

- A fishing pole and some Panther Martings!!
- Cooler of "Cold Ones"
- Interstate Bait Sunflower Seeds (Bloody Mary Flavor)
- Some "Floaties"

There might be 1 or 2 things I may be missing..,

?-ERock-> ?

What type of vessel are you going to be using to float hunt? if you are using an inflateable raft I suggest you go to the Alaska Outdoor forum and go on to the float hunting page. The website is http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com You should be able to find tons of suggested gear lists, since lots of guys float hunt for moose year after year. Some of the stuff I have heard of on these lists:
1) 5 gallon buckets with lids (perfect for water tight storage of dry goods, they make dandy camp seats, and for hauling stuff)
2) Fishing gear
3) Patch kit for the raft and extra parts stuff for the raft that might break during the trip
4) Extra game bags since you will have to change them out a few times due to them getting wet dragging them back and forth from the boat to the shore for the night
5) A spare air pump to air the raft up
Basically on a float hunt the skys the limit on what you take with ya. I read a book call Float Hunting Alaska's Rivers by a guy named Mike Strahan (sp). He does several seminars in Alaska and in the lower 48. Good information in the book even if you don't go to Alaska. He also post on the Alaska outdoor forum that I mentioned above. One thing he does is prepares several meals at home and them seals them and freezes them for the trip. Some of the meals he prepared sound like 5 star meals that were basically eaten on the river bank in the wilds of Alaska. Hope this helps and sorry to the moderators about posting another website link here.
WVBOWAK

We floated 110 miles down Birch Creek, AK in Sept '01. We were on the river during the attacks, didn't know what was going on until we got out. But that's another story.

Things to consider are neoprene chest waders and dry bags. We didn't hunt in the waders but it helped keep us dry while on-loading/off-loading the raft. Dry bags are great to keep food/gear while on the raft and at camp.

Gortex coat and boonie hat wouldn't hurt.

Do you have a raft/boat already? I don't know the tech term, but we used one the rafts that has a frame that sits on/lashes to the raft. It helps to stay off the bottom of the raft as water is sure to splash in and accumulate. If you do use a raft or boat for that matter, make sure you have a kit to patch the boat/raft. Foot pump for rafters. Extra bungee cords for strapping items down and use in camp.

By the way, Good luck and have a blast. Post your story when you get back.

thanks for the great info!

we have lined up 2 16' pontoon style rafts. the type that you sit in seats up above. i've heard they float the highest in the water and were supposed to have some shallow water i believe.

thanks again- and keep them coming

Sounds like you will be using two catarafts. I have used regular rafts and catarafts and they will both work for what you have planned. Take spare oars and tents that are easy to set up & take down if you will be changing locations every day. If you don't have any rafting experience then either go on a guided rafting trip to see how it is done or get the catarafts and practice on a lake or easy rivers before going on your hunt. If you expect low water then pack lighter. Dragging heavy rafts or portaging gear around low water can ruin a trip. Take life jackets, throw rope bags (rescue bags) and a satelite phone. Bring a gun guard dry bag to protect your gun and leather gloves or biking gloves to protect your hands against blisters from rowing.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom