RIP Evan Tanner

browtine

Super Moderator
FORMER UFC CHAMP EVAN TANNER DEAD AT 37

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight titleholder Evan Tanner was found dead near Palo Verde, Calif. on Monday. He was 37 years old. His management team at DFS Agency confirmed his death to MMAWeekly.com.

Tanner had trekked into the desert on a journey to ?cleanse? himself, according to Douglas Vincitorio of DFS. ?He went out to the desert to do a ?cleansing? as he called it. Kind of like ?Survivor Man.?? These short trips were not new to Tanner, said Vincitorio. It is something that he has done numerous times over the years.

?What we were told is that (sheriff?s officials who found him) believe his motorcycle had run out of gas, so he went to walk out in like 115 to 118-degree heat,? said Vincitorio. ?He was miles away from his camp. That's where the helicopter found him. Right now, they just think that he succumbed to the heat.?

Tanner had apparently told friends before he left that if they hadn't heard from him in a couple of days, they should contact officials, which is what happened. When he stopped responding to text messages, friends waited a couple of days and then notified officials at the Imperial County Sherrif?s Department on Friday.

A search ensued and Tanner?s body was found on Monday.

On Aug. 10, Tanner wrote a blog on Spike TV?s website, proclaiming his desire to start an adventure in the desert east of his new home in Oceanside, Calif. An avid outdoorsman and wandering spirit, he wanted to escape civilization for a while.

?I'm not just going out into the desert, I'm going out into the desert to hunt for lost treasure,? he wrote. ?I'm going on a pilgrimage of sorts, a journey to solitude, to do some thinking, and to pay my respects to the great mysteries.?

On Aug. 16, Tanner wrote about collecting supplies for his journey, and wrote about the dangers he might face.

?I plan on going so deep into the desert, that any failure of my equipment, could cost me my life,? he said. ?I've been doing a great deal of research and study. I want to know all I can about where I'm going, and I want to make sure I have the best equipment.?

Of course, this led followers of his blog to fear for his safety, as they often did when Tanner reported his frequent by-the-seat-of-his-pants adventures. In a blog dated Aug. 27, Tanner tried to calm his audience.

?This isn't a version of ?Into the Wild,?? he wrote. ?I'm not going out into the desert with a pair of shorts and a bowie knife, to try to live off the land. I'm going fully geared up, and I'm planning on having some fun.?

But he also affirmed that things could go wrong if his equipment wasn?t up to snuff.

?I do plan on going back pretty far, so I did mention in one of my posts that I wanted to make sure to have good quality gear,? he said. ?Any failure of gear out in the desert could cause a problem.?

On Sept. 2, Tanner wrote his final blog entry, documenting a training session at a facility in Oceanside.

The Amarillo, Texas native was a high school wrestling stand out who won the state championships his junior and senior years despite only getting into the sport as a sophomore. He entered mixed martial arts in 1997 encouraged by friends.

Tanner rose to the top of the mixed martial arts world by winning the UFC middleweight title over David Terrell at UFC 51: "Super Saturday" Feb. 5, 2005. Tanner last competed in the UFC on June 21 losing to Kendall Grove by split decision.

?He will obviously be sorely missed,? said Vincitorio. Adding, ?I think that Evan would want to be remembered as a very complex man with many layers, not just a fighter.?

Tanner was surely a unique personality. He?s eccentric spirit and competitive nature will be sorely missed in the MMA community.

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

shocking news for sure . he left his mark in the mma world watched alot of great fights he was in . RIP.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-08 AT 09:49PM (MST)[p]Here is his blog. Its pretty cool to read. Someone wrote he should have had a reality series. I think so as well.

http://www.spike.com/profile/Evan_Tanner

I blame it on Sara that I forgot to get gas on the way out of town. The reserve is about twenty miles. It was too late to do anything about it. There were no gas stations in between the towns. There was nothing I could do but cross my fingers, and stay on the throttle. I was fairly confident I had enough gas to make it in. I saw a mileage sign in the distance. As it got closer, I could just make it out "The Dalles 7 mi." "Seven miles," I thought to myself, "I could push it seven miles." That was prophetic because just then, the engine began to sputter. "#####, #####, #####!" As the bike took it's last gasp, I coasted to side of the road. I parked it, got off and started pacing, not sure exactly what to do. I was thinking I could call my friend to come out and bring me some gas, but it was late, I knew he and his wife were about to go to bed. I didn't want to bother him, and I couldn't help but remember what I had thought moments before the engine died, "Seven miles, I could push it seven miles." Damn it, I shouldn't have even thought that. It was a challenge, and I had unintentionally thrown it out there at myself. Basically, I had talked the talk. I had to walk the the walk. I decided I was going to have to push it all the way into town.

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

WOW! I had tghe pleasure of meeting Evan a couple of times and he was the nicest guy! I talked with him for quite a while this year at the airport in Columbus OH, he was coming off of a tough loss and was pretty down but he sat down next to me and was very pleasant.

The MMA community will miss him, theres not another like him

Drum

dan-henderson_wanderlei-silva.gif

That just plain sucks. The world is at a loss. He was a warrior of the finest. I wish I would have had the chance to meet him when I was still in that world.

Chris

The more people I meet the more I like my dogs

I think we take for granted that the people we are used to seeing and have, in a way, gotten to know through sports/TV, will be around forever. Kinda like they are invincable. Its a shame to see him pass on. Seems like the last couple of years he's been trying to "find" himself. He really seemed to be a nice guy. He'll be missed.

Steve

Without question one of the most entertaining fighters I've ever watched. The dude was an animal in the octagon and left it all on the mat, every time. The way he died for some reason did not shock me, takin' on the desert mano y mano. Will be missed.

T264

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom