Rifle scope question

P

Prism

Is it legal or illegal to use an illumintated reticled rifle scope for big game hunting in your state. These scopes do not "project" light outword, they illuminate the internal reticle within the scope.

Take comments here cautiously and check with your own states to find out the local laws. In other words do your homework.

I "think" they are legal in Utah as long as they don't project any outward light. The popular red dot sights used on handguns, muzzeloaders, and shotguns in Utah are within the law.

There seems to be an increase in more tactical styled rifle
scopes as of late and many of them only come in illuminated versions.

I'd hate to see someone unkowingly violate the law due to
this. Keep it in mind the next time you purchase a rifle scope or even a bowsite.

The way it was explained to me by an officer (I asked him I didnt have one on my gun.) anything that broadcasts an artificial light. that means the truglo archery sights that shine light on the fibers are illegal. red dot scopes are illegal. lighted reticle scopes are illegal.
He did say there was not an officer that would write you a ticket for it but it can be used to make a case.

If your following legal shooting hours there should be no need for a lighted anything.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-10 AT 05:44PM (MST)[p]They're 100% legal in Wyoming and Utah.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-10 AT 06:09PM (MST)[p]They are NOT legal in Wyoming for taking of big game.

ARTIFICIAL LIGHTING LAW EXPLAINED
10/19/2009
CHEYENNE?- For a number of years, Wyoming has had a law that prohibits the use of artificial light for hunting and fishing. But, the continuing development of lighted hunting and fishing equipment has given rise to numerous questions concerning Wyoming law and the use of lighted devices.
??????????????? To help answer these questions, the Game and Fish has produced a pamphlet to help clarify questions about the legality of various devices now on the market.
??????????????? Wyoming law states that "No person shall take any wildlife with the aid of or by using any artificial lighting device."? Following that law the Game and Fish Commission has established regulation to give clarification as to what is and isn't legal for taking wildlife.
??????????????? For hunting, Commission regulation states that "Artificial light means any man made light or lighting device which projects? a light visible? to the unaided eye outside of the device, or any battery powered? device that provides an enhanced ability to see in the dark."
Under this definition, devices that are allowed for hunting include the following:
·???????? fiber-optic and light gathering sights,
·???????? ?scopes with built in rangefinders,
·???????? ?battery powered scopes that use a lighted reticle or dot projected only within the scope
·???????? sights emitting natural light
·???????? battery powered bow pins
·???????? lighted arrow nocks
?
Devices that are prohibited for hunting include:
·???????? spotlights/handlights
·???????? laser sights – emitting visible light
·???????? night vision devices
·???????? infrared scopes
?
For fishing, Commission Regulation states: "No person shall use an artificial light with the sole purpose of aiding or attracting fish. No person shall use any device to physically extend an artificial light over the water to attract fish. . . . . .It is illegal to use artificial lighted hooked devices."
Under this definition, devices allowed for fishing include the following:
·???????? lighted strike indicators or bobbers
·???????? worms, baits and tackle chemically enhanced to produce light
·???????? lighted pole rod tip
?
Prohibited devices for fishing include:
·???????? fish finders or underwater cameras that produce artificial light (when used to attract and/or take fish)
·???????? battery powered light producing lures
·???????? submersible lights
???????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
More information on lighting devices and questions can be obtained from the Game and Fish Web site http://gf.state.wy.us?or by contacting Game and Fish headquarters in Cheyenne at (307) 777-4600 or the nearest Game and Fish regional office.
?(Contact: Al Langston (307) 777-4540)
-WGFD-

Thanks Prism,

I have not seen that article until now!!! Very interesting.

Legal in Idaho for any weapon season. Not legal on arrows, bolts, or bows in archery season.

It is unlawful to hunt with-

"With any electronic device attached to, or incorporated
on, the firearm or scope; Except scopes containing
battery powered or tritium lighted reticles are allowed."

"With any electronic or tritium-powered device attached
to an arrow, bolt or bow. Except disabled archery
permit holders may use a nonmagnifying sight with
battery powered or tritium lighted reticles."

It sounds like most western states have similar laws when it comes to illuminated reticles, but I'm sure there are some exceptions out there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom