Rifle Opinions

J

jpine

I'm looking for opinions on the best all around rifle for white tail and muley's. Michigan hunter who travels West frequently, .270 or 7 mag are what come to mind. Looking to spend from $1500 to $3000, anyone have any advice on where to go for comparisons and thoughts. I like walnut wood stocks and hoping to get a gun with engraving. Fifty in Feb probably the last gun I'll buy.

I've killed several muleys and several whitetails with a .300 WinMag. They are a little punishing though. I have also known many hunter use a .300 WSM as an all around killing machine. I've seen that caliber drop an elk in its tracks at 300 yards. I'm sure either the .270 or the 7 mag would do just fine for both. If all you are using it for is muleys and whiteys you have many choices. Don't limit yourself to one of the standard calibers before you look at others. As far as a manufacturer is concerned, if you are looking at spending that kind of money, Kimber makes a great looking walnut gun in just about any caliber you want. They are engraved and shoot well and are made extremely well.

It's always an adventure!!!

Thanks, Kimber isn't a make I've looked at will do. Your feedback is very much appreciated.

JPINE

270 weatherby

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

buy a rem. o6. have a gun smith due a little custom work... spend the extra money on good hunt....

Have spent some time this morning looking I'm down to a Kimber .280 AI and a .270 Weatherby, am comparing glass also. Thinking of a 2.5x10 50 mm Trijicon Accupoint or a 3x9 50 mm Leupold which is somewhat less expensive. Any perspectives on glass and scope mounts. I'm probably going to go with Tally mounts. Will do some looking at ballistic charts on the .257 Weatherby as it is one caliber I've not considered.

If you don't reload why in the hell would you want a 280AI..Or any "Improved" cartridge?

If I didn't reload I'd stick to more common over the counter easy to find cartridges like the old stand by's ... 270 win,7mm rem mag,30-06,300WM...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Not sure how your eyes are but since this is likely your last build you might want to consider one of the 4-12 magnifications in the leupold with an adjust objective or side focus. My eyes ain't what they once was and the added power and focus helped a bunch.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

300 WIN MAG WITH A BRAKE WILL DO JUST ABOUT ANYTHING YOU COULD WANT OUT WEST. PLENTY OF AMMO OPTIONS AND NOT TOO BAD ON THE RECOIL WITH THE BRAKE.

7mm or 270 would be great. if your not a reloader stick to common cartridges. they are cheaper and more readily available. if you decide to hunt elk both have been tried and true elk killers.

I'd go with a .270 or .280 and you'll be just fine. Both are excellent flat shooting rifles with recoil that won't bother you one bit. They both will kill anything in North America except the big bears and ammuntion is easy to find. The .270 usually uses bullets from 130-150 grains and they are easy to find with loading by several manufacturers. The .280 has good bullets from 140 up to 168 grain and although not as popular still has several manufacturers loading for it. Given the production of Hornady super perfrormance ammuniton in both calibers you can almost duplicate magnum performance in the standard sized case and not break the bank when buying ammunition on some decent flat shooting loads. Both calibers are loaded with premium bullets if wanted and will flat out do the job for you and you can't go wrong either way. The .270 is definately the more popular of the two. I own both and have shot both and honestly have never been disappointed in either one.

If it were me I would pick a .270 or 06 in non mag caliber or a 270wsm in a mag caliber. I think the wsm will stick with the 270 Weatherby and cost a lot less. Buy a nice gun and then put as much as you can afford into a good scope. MY .02 cent worth

A .257 WBY mag in Accumark topped with a GreyBull (Leupold made) scope will run you 3K. Have a decent smith bed the action in the factory stock and install a Muscle Brake. It will be less than MOA with Bergers, Accubonds, or Barnes and kill anything out to 600 yards.

I went with a 7MM STW for Elk past 600.

For that price I'd have HS Precision build you one, you wont be sorry! Best value for a custom gun in my opinion. I have one in 300 WSM and use it for everything, accurate and light as hell.

Tons of options out there.

Remington is offering a limited edition BDL this year in 7mm.

Personally if I was looking for something with a nice wood stock and finish in a factory gun I'd go with a sako. Especially if your looking for something that should appreciate in value.

Caliber is just one of those things. Either would be great.

I think I would settle on a Kimber 84L. It would be a joy to carry; it seems like a perfect deer rifle. I also like walnut so I would opt for the select grade. I would prefer a .280 AI for no really good reason, but I handload. If I didn't, I would get the .270 and be equally happy. I would put a 2.5-8x Leupold on it and head to the range, dreaming of next fall.

If the good people at Kimber made one with the bolt handle on the left side I would go to the gun shop in the morning and place my order!

Have fun making a selection . . .

I am looking at sako also thanks to the folks on this forum. Thompson Center has been brought up to me, a guy from Ut State claims its the best option on the market. Was thinking a Kimber .280 this morning. I have a few months to order yet. I'm perplexed about glass also as there are so many options, had settled on the Trijicon 2.5 x 10 50 mm until recent emails, there isn't a lot of objective comparison out there for glass. We all know the big names but when it gets right down to it there are no real objective comparison charts on low light, magnification, anti fog, etc. One member pointed out that Leupold stands behind their glass as does Zeis. Would sure like to find some objective data somewhere.

If your looking to spend around $3000 give Chad Dixon @ http://longriflesinc.com/ a call. He is one of the best builders around. I'm into mine about $3200. It is a 7 mm mag built on a Borden action, Bartlien barrel, McMillan stock and a Jewel trigger. Custom reamer throated to shoot 168 Berger Vld with no free bore
Princess-1.jpg

typical groups
firstgroup-5969.jpg

group1.jpg

build pics
DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_00013.jpg

DSC_00183.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

Rifle7.jpg

Rifle6.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

Rifle1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/WesB/Rifle4.jpg[/IMG]

My vote would be Rem 700 7mm Rem Mag. I think the Weatherby calibers would do you fine, but the ammo is very expensive unless you reload. I like the 7mag because you've got tons of choices as far as bullet choices and bullet weights, the ammo is as cheap or as expensive as you want it, and I can shoot mine all day at the range with no issues with recoil.

I have a Rem 700 7mm. I chunked the stock, put on a McMillan in it's place and topped it off with a Swaro 3-10. So yea, this is what I'd recommend - I love mine and wouldn't trade it.

My vote is for the 30-06. I have killed many deer with this gun. It is a great gun and you can find ammo at any local store. I have even bought ammo at the grocery store for this gun.

Just another opinion, but I am more of a "4 rifles worth $700 each" than "1 rifle at $3000".

You can buy a Weatherby Vanguard, in 300wsm, that is VERY accurate out of the box, add a Leupold glass and be good to go for anything in the country.

You can get 4 of them in 4 different calibers for the money you are talking about......and probably 100 rounds of ammo for each to boot!

The action is as smooth as anything on the market.

No engraving and they have synthetic stocks, but engraving and fancy wood won't help you kill anything and, may in fact, hinder your willingness to get rough when you may need to.

I have a Howa....same as a Vanguard, that I'll match against you on the bench, with anything you spend $3k on.

Save your money for fuel on hunting and scouting trips.

"Fathom the hypocracy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove that they are insured.....but not everyone must prove that they are a citizen"

I get the feeling he's looking for something more classic. Synthetic and stainless are great. The majority of the rifles in my safe are stainless with synthetic stocks, but there's something special about a great piece of wood and and nice blued finish. Especially for an investment gun. Kind of like buying a piece of art.

Another option would be the limited edition 30-06 model 70 Winchester is putting out in 2012. Winchester seems to be putting out some really nice rifles again.

A ruger no. 1 would be cool too.

As stated above. I would buy a couple of rifles but since we are spending YOUR money. Kimber or Cooper in 270win topped with a Nikon Monarch. I have two Kimbers but they have "fake" stocks. Super light and very accurate but I will say no more than my Rem 700 and a Vanguard. Another option might be to look at the Model 70 being sold by Cabelas?? Just a thought. One brother bought one and it looks very nice. Not sure how they shoot as he will probably keep it in the box for future grandkids.

If you want to spend that kind of money on a good rifle...buy a pre 64 Winchester in 30-06 with a 4 x 12 fine duplex Leopold...new factory rifles are all junk..they are stamped and not machined like in the old days...

IMHO, go to the local gun shop and find a model rifle with the features and feel you like. If you like a heavier rifle you may be comfortable with a long action magnum. The standard actions generally have shorter barrels. Any of the standard rounds mentioned will do the trick. Since you don't reload you want lots of ammo options without breaking the bank. .308 is another and has a short action if that appeals to you. I think I'd be comfortable with any of the high grade production rifles on the shelf, except maybe a ruger. I kinda like Sakos and Winnies. Save a grand for optics.

Part of your decision should include your expectation for accuracy, as that costs as much or more as fine wood and engraving. If you simply want moa accuracy to 400 yards then almost anything mentioned so far will work. If you want something more than that then I would look into semi-custom. Many on here mey make it sound like you will be guaranteed sub-moa with factory ammo from their pet manufacturer(remington, sako, tikka, savage) but you should not. All of the manufacturer's mentioned will meet moa to 400 yards after shooting a bunch of factory offerings.

If you plan to stick to deer and antelope and not hunt elk then any round from .243 up will work and anything over a .300mag could be considered overkill, especially if you don't like recoil.

The best bullets come in .264 and 7mm and the best factory loading options include the popular 25-06, .270, 270wsm, 7mm RM, 300wsm, and 300win mag. Other loads such as any weatherby, 280AI, 7mmWSM, 260, are better suited to handloaders or people with unlimited ammo budgets.

Given what I have heard from you so far, I would stick with the more popular rounds either 270wsm or 7mmRM. My favorite of all would be the 280AI or 7mmWSM. 7mm would be better for elk in heavier 160 bullets.

I would seriously consider the Zeiss Conquest in Z-600 reticle for western hunts, the glass is they are very reliable for a good price point. You might afford the Swaro z3 or z5 lines also.

For gun manufactureres, if you don't go custom then I would pick up as many and handle them and pick the one that feels the best and then find the one with the best wood. Sounds like you should seriously consider: Win, Kimber, Sako, Savage, Browning, Nosler, and Cooper.

Well ...what I always say its the bullet that does the killing not the cartridge ! I like the 30 calibers for good bullet choices. You can pick alot of bullet weights to hunt anything from dogs to bears. Now you need to figure how far out you want to shoot and pick the case that pushes the bullet.
For a rifle ,I have and shot alot of differnt actions . But I always go back to my Browning A bolt with it's 60 degree bolt. For some reason, maybe familiarity or comfort. Some of my other guns Remington 700's, Ruger and so on ,when the bolt is opened come so close to the scopes. Not so with the A bolt and it makes it so you can put another round in faster for the next shot.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom