Reverse Emergency Beacon

ChubbyTuna

I was wondering if there is a product out there that will allow my family to get a hold of me in an emergency. I currently use the SPOT (http://www.findmespot.com/en/) which allows me to check in each day. My boy got real sick while I was on a solo elk hunt last week. I only found out after driving 50 miles to the nearest cell coverage. I will be renting a SAT phone for my next trip but is there any other options. Worldwide pager? SAT pager? I'm sure someday soon this will be commonplace but anything now?

Best one way comms to you is the Motorola 9501 Sat pager but it is not very user friendly and because it is only one way, they won't know if you have received the message or not. You would have to carry the SPOT also to come up with some kind of acknowledgment code scheme.

The other alternative is the Iridium sat phone with voice mail. You can't leave the phone on all the time to get a call but you could periodically check your messages and or turn the unit on at predetermined times to receive calls.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom