retriever training

S

stifler

Hello:

Sold out of hounds after 15 years, now I'm getting a lab pup for duck hunting. What I was wanting to do is ship the dog when he is 6 months or so to someone to train him on retrieving. Has anyone done this before? If so, Do you know anybody you would recommend?

Thanks

There is a guy on here and I cant remeber his user name, but His name is Tyce Ericksen. He is in Spanish Fork Utah (I think). He trains dogs and does a DANG good job. He has come out a few times with his pups to hut with us and they are truely AMAZING! I love my dog and trained him myself. BUT if I had the money to do it, He would be the one! If you are interested, I have his name and number. Just pm me and I will give it to you.

Do yourself a favor and get a book by Richard Wolters called "WATER DOG". If you have the time you should start play training at 8 wks old. Dog could be healing and sitting to whistle at 12-16 wks. easily. My pup ran his first hunt test at 4 mo old. I trained a lab pup this way and he recieved his UKC HUNTING RETRIEVER title at 18 months old. I am just an amatuer. They love to learn at that age and if you do send him to a trainer it will make it that much easier. My lab was doing blind retrieves on geese at 10 months old.

I second Water dog. I bought the book and trained my lab and she turned out awesome. I had her playing baseball, marking, and doing blind retrieves by the time she was 6 months old.. A lot of it has to do with the time you spend with your dog. Everyday, everyday, everyday, work with your pup it will make a big difference.

I third that suggestion! Water Dog is the best book out there for training your dog, hands down. My best hunting buddy for 10 years was my Chocolate Lab, Gunner. The reason I enjoyed duck, goose and pheasant hunting so much was to watch him work. The pure satisfaction of knowing that I trained him was one of the most rewarding feelings, and I would get that every time we went out.

"Half of being smart, is knowing what you're dumb about."

Waters has about 3 or 4 books out all great for helping with retriever training. I think I own all of them. If you have time train the dog yourself from day 49 on. That is the day you should take the dog from the litter.

I have trained all my own this is the 11th and I believe if you spend the time you can do as good with a good dog as a pro. Just my opinion. Also some great DVD's on force fetching training and other training help would really help if you decided to diy.

Dr hunter, funny thing you say you had a chocolate lab named gunner, cuz we have a 4mos old yellow lab named gunner! I've been working with him and am now gonna have to get that book to learn some more. He sits,heels, shakes and I'm now getting him to find scented dummies! what he really loves are the pheasant wings that my vet gave my boys to help train him. This is my first lab and love watching him search for the wings and dummies. My boys love him and my wife who thought it was not a good idea has melted and now loves playing with him. I'm a rookie when it comes to training a dog but have liked the challenge and the companionship I've earned with gunner!

I also believe in Richard Wolters work especially water dog and game dog. I have had two labs that have turned into excellent hunting dogs by simply following what he shows in his books. From picking them as young pups to blind retrieving, they will turn out awesome as long as you spend a lot of time with them. If you don't have the time then spending the money may be worth your while. Cornhusker and Dr_hunter have good points about the satisfaction of training one yourself.

Time, time and more time is the key, as well as consistency. It drives me nuts when I see guys that expect their dogs to be perfect when they neglect to spend the time with them. Then you see them yelling at their dog, as if it is the dogs fault?
Even if it is only 15-20min. a day. It will make a huge difference.

"Half of being smart, is knowing what you're dumb about."

nv_mulies, Looks like you are off to a great start. He will be a great companion in the field and will make the hunts that much more rewarding. Just be prepared for a few frustrating trips while he is young- don't worry though, each trip gets better and they grow out of it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom