Research Meeting In Richfield

2lumpy

Long Time Member
Sevier County sportsmen have asked the Utah Div. of Wildlife Resources to provide an update on the:

Coyote Reduction/Fawn Survival Study that is going into it's third year on the Monroe Mule Deer Unit.

Also, for an update in the lengthy Cougar Study that has been going on for nearly a decade (as I understand it.)

The following is a notification I have just sent to our local sportsmen. However, this meeting is open to anyone interested in attending, so I'll share it with anyone else interested in the research data that has been gather to this point. I hope, in the future we'll be able to update folks in the same manner we've been updated on the Mule Deer Transplant Study on the Pahvant.

Here's the info:

Details and Information Regarding the Meeting on February 25, 2014

A number of sportsman have asked what has been happening with the Coyote Reduction and Fawn/Doe Survival Rates studies that the UDWR and our State's Universities have been conducting on the Monroe Unit.

There has also been an on going Monroe Cougar Study in the Monroe.

A lot of concern over the Studies has been expressed in the community and not a lot of regular information has been released on these Studies, as compared to the Deer Transplant Study that is being done on the Pahvant.

In an effort to update local sportsmen on current status of the Monroe Studies I have asked the UDWR and their partners (Universities) to provide us a comprehensive update. They have agreed to do that.

February 25, 2014 the various State Agencies and University Researchers will come to Richfield to present their data and discuss their observations regarding the cougars, coyotes reduction and fawn survival studies.

This will be an evening meeting, I will let you know the exact time and location tomorrow.

Here is what I need from you, prior to the meeting, in order for the Agency/Research folks to provide the most current information:

WHAT, IF ANY QUESTIONS DO YOU HAVE FOR THE STUDY GROUP?

IF YOUR HAVE CONCERNS OR WANT CLARIFICATIONS ON ANY THING YOU KNOW OR HAVE HEARD, THIS WILL BE AN IDEAL TIME TO ASK THE PEOPLE THAT ARE CONDUCTING THEIR RESEARCH.

PLEASE SEND ME ANY QUESTIONS BY THIS FRIDAY BY 12:00 SO I CAN FORWARD YOUR QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS TO JUSTIN SHANNON (UDWR BIG GAME BIOLOGIST), SO HE CAN FORWARD THEM TO THE APPROPRIATE RESEARCH GROUP.

SOME OF YOUR QUESTIONS MAY REQUIRE DATA THEY HAVEN'T PLANNED TO PROVIDE, SO IF WE SEND THEM OUR QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS BEFORE THE MEETING, THEY WILL BE BETTER PREPARED TO PROVIDE RESEARCHED ANSWERS.

A great deal of time and money is being expended on these studies, in our behalf. We wanted answers to predator control, low fawn survival rates, cougar and coyote reductions, etc. The UDWR has responded by conducting these research studies. I hope you would join us, especially if you have questions, to discuss the progress they are making in the research on Feb. 25.

Please tell any and all sportsmen in the area that may have an interest in these mule recovery efforts and invite them to participate.

Thanks guys, please take a minute and let me know any questions or concerns that you have.

DC

Maybe someone could copy and paste this information over to the Utah Wildlife Forum so some the Utah sportsmen over on the Forum could get this information as well.

Thanks
DC

DeLoss-

Thanks for the information. I posted it to the Utah Wildlife Forum.

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Bowtech Destroyer
Winchester Apex .50 Cal

DC

Thanks for making mule deer a priority. I would love to attend this meeting. Unfortunately as you know I will be stuck in the "happiest place on earth" on the 25th. Would you please post the notes or send me a copy of your meeting notes?

Lumpy,
I can't make the meeting as I am getting my "wheel" "recapped" Monday, but would love an email or message from you with some of the high points of the meeting. I appreciate your dedication to our mule deer and our beloved Monroe Mountain.
Thanks..
a*r

DC,

I don't always agree with your opinions, but I really appreciate you doing this and thank you for your efforts.

Something seems to be improving on Monroe considering the success rate last year.

Seems like when SFW did its PR meeting the winter after opt 2 passed, there was quite a bit of discussion regarding fawn survival. The numbers at that time showed the herd could not recover if fawn numbers didn't improve.

My questions are simple and probably addressed, but let's not leave it to chance.

1) Fawns/Coyotes
So now what are the birth/survival trends of fawns? Is it better because of coyote reduction or something else like less winter kill? Does the research link coyote population to fawn survival?

2) Cougars
What are we learning from the cougar study? How many are there? Is the population growing or shrinking? How frequently does a cougar kill? What age of deer do cougars target?

Thanks again DC.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-14 AT 04:26PM (MST)[p]Thank you Hawkeye, I appreciate your doing that.

SmellyBuck,

"I don't always agree with your opinions, but I really appreciate you doing this and thank you for your efforts."

Well........I'll wager your wife and I have a lot in common! You still love her, so there you go........we can disagree and still make it work.

Thank you for your input. I will forward your questions, exactly as you've written them. Both questions are thoughtful and relative to the subject to be discussed. I hope you're able to make the trip down to hear they response.

BigJohn,
Sorry, I have no means to board-cast the meeting however I'll do my best to have someone take good notes and share the information, here on MM and else where, as interest is expressed. My hope is we can come out of the meeting with a simple way for the researchers to share their data with all of us on a routine bases, much like the group has done on the Pahvant Deer Transplant project/study. Regular updates seems to help prevent counter productive rumors from over powering the research.

To anyone else that's interested:
Please don't hesitate to send me addition questions, the results of these research projects have lingering effects and could, and most likely will, someday, have influence on the deer herd units next door to you, no matter what part of the State you live in.

DC

This time and location from the UDWR folks:

The Southern Region has reserved a big room in the basement of the Sevier County Building, at 250 North Main Street in Richfield, from 6-9pm on February 25.

DC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom