Repair Antlers?

Captain_coues

Very Active Member
I have a friend that killed a nice 361" net Bull from a few years ago. It was missing about 9" from one of the fourths that it obviously broke from fighting. He did not get the point repaired and I wouldn't either. I still joke with him about it and tell him he could get a drop tine and maybe a cheater added at the same time. There is one person out there I respect that would do it, not the extra stuff but have the antler repaired.

Do any of you get the broken/busted antlers repaired? Have you ever heard of someone adding extras that weren't there before?

I shot a bull elk several years ago that was missing about 4 inches off his third, so I had that repaired. I think with an elk you can get pretty close to what he had. Their points usually don't have any stickers, splits etc. so the taxi just has to follow the taper of the point. The whitetails I hunt here in Iowa many times have split brows, one side bigger(longer) than the other, stickers, so without a cam pic, it's hard to tell what he had.

Since I mainly crossbow hunt, I try not to shoot one with broken points,(if I can see they don't). Sometimes I don't have time to look.

My friends and I if we shoot one that has something broke, always joke about putting extra stuff on but we've never had any of our whitetails repaired and the few people that I know that have had them repaired have never added anything.

Personally I've repaired quite a few antlers. Mostly sheds with a bit chewed off. And a lot just for practice on large older antlers. I don't add extras though. My best moose set I have gotten, and likely will ever get, I repaired 3 points that a coyote got. Most people can't tell unless you get close. I like using tines off of less meaningful antlers and carving them to my desired size/shape then attaching, fill, and color them. I'm currently working on my bull elk this year that someone put a bullet hole through his horn. If it turns out the way I'm hoping it will be my hardest fix and hopefully my best. Smooth tines are easy. It's the lumps and bumps that make it hard. One whitetail my family found on our land was left out for squirrels to chew. Ended up mounting and fixing the antlers and it's super hard to tell where it's fixed, probably 20 inches of antler. Light coloring makes it easy to blend also imo.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-16 AT 03:37PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-16 AT 03:36?PM (MST)

Here is the moose shed I fixed. 3 points for about 10 inches of antler. All using other older antler pieces. Can you figure out which are the repaired points?
3349620161212152229.jpg

197920161212152017.jpg

This Antler was 2 years old, black from sitting in swamp on back and white on front. After whitening I recolored.

There is no right or wrong answer. My largest buck was missing about 2 inches that broke off. I had him repaired only because with it missing it was not as balanced and looked lop sided... I tell people that I had a point repaired, when I do they try and guess which one it was and can not.

On other mounts, it give character but on this mount it looked a ton better having the little extra replaced.

I've never had a tine repaired before but I think I'm going to have the third fixed on my bull elk I killed this fall on the Wasatch. It is pretty obvious from the shape that it would match the other side pretty close and I think it will look a lot better with those last couple inches intact.

NRA Life Member

www.swanspointoutfitters.com

The critters have to win every time. I only have to win once.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom