Remote Starters

never_catch

Long Time Member
Weird question but do any of you guys have experience with remote start systems for vehicles?? Might be a good idea for some of you on here to get your wife one for xmas too?? I had one on an F150 I had and liked it a lot but can't remember what brand it was. Any suggestions on good brands would be great...my younger bro wants one for xmas and I'm all about getting people exactly what they want vs going shopping and trying to surprise them. I've been trying to search for reviews but not coming up with much luck as there's about a billion different brands out there on these things. Wanna spend around $100-150...

~Z~

I asked my mechanic the other day about installing one. He said they only last about six months and they are not worth the hassle.

Have a cobra remote start in my gmc, and love it. The only problem is that after the install, my cab lights quit working. Have had it for four years now, and no problems. Other than the cab light that is.

Have had one on a Toyota Tundra for about four years, had it installed at the place I purchased it, about $250 installed. My check engine light has been on ever since. I have started my truck accidentally a few times, have run the battery down a couple of times doing this, on the Toyota if you leave the lights on they turn off when you open the door so I leave them on all the time. If it starts inadvertently it runs for 15 minutes and shuts off but the lights are still on.

There isn't any way to shut it off either, it still starts the truck but I don't think I want another one like the one I have, don't know what brand it is.

I have had one on my 2005 Chevy and have LOVED it like crazy. It was installed by the dealer when I bought the truck so I am not sure of the brand. I have not had ONE issue with it and it has worked flawlessly for almost 5 years.
I just bought my wife a 2009 Buick Enclave that came with it from the factory and it is so far working like a charm also. She loves it on these cold days to be able to start from the house. We have loved them both, so it is weird to see the problems you guys have experienced with yours. I think the one I installed in my Truck was about $600 though, and maybe that is why....you buy cheap ($100) and you get cheap!!! If you are going to do it, spend the money and get the good stuff!!!!!! Just my opinion.

FLEH, yea I don't know why they're all having problems either?? The one I had on my F150 was around $150 installed up in Seattle and that thing was freakin awesome for 2 or 3 years but I think you might be right and we get what we pay for too...might just have to give my bro the $150 cash and tell him to go buy however nice of one he wants...

~Z~

Can you guys tell me how new a vehicle need to be to install one in. I have an old car I drive to work so I can leave my truck in the garage. It is a 1993 Chevy Lumina.

Never_catch, I don't know how to copy and email a wmv file, so PM me your email addrss and I'll forward it to you. TRUST ME, this is the ultimate auto related gift you can give your wife. As for any of you others on here, same goes for you if you want a great laught at GM's latest offering.

Have had one in a 99 4runner since 2000 and never a single problem with it. Still works great, probly jinxed myself now. It is a Viper brand.

My father in law has one on an 01 F350 deisel and has never had a problem. sister in law has one on 05 F150 also with no problems.

Also installed one on my wife's 07 VW beetle and never any problems with it. Not sure what brand it is but for both of them I stayed away from the big box stores and went with the local sound system store.

My friend has a 2007 GMC crew cab and it is loaded with extra's. That remote start is great and never had a problem with it yet that I know of. The vehicle restarts in the same mode as it was when turned off. If the heater was on, the seat warmer too and radio playing along with defroster on......that is the way it restarts the next morning.
It even has the sensors for backing up and warns you by a LED strip light inside back edge of door panel as to when to stop before hitting something.
Couple that all together with Onstar and his own GPS, he find roads, creeks or trails in the dark, he showed me that in 2008 in CO.

Brian

Most people arent having problems with the brand. Most of the problems come with the person installing it. Make sure you have someone who knows what their doing hook it up. There are a lot of wires involved and if you get one of them hooked up wrong you might experience the same problems others are having.

I think you're right shedfinder. If you get one that's factory installed or installed by the auto dealer you shouldn't have any problems. But if you buy one from the guy that sells bedliners or camper tops then you pay your money and take your chances.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom