Rem. Mod. 700..Question..

Paul_Crawford

Long Time Member
I was talking guns with my brother-in-law the other day, and this came up. He told me that this model has a history of firing when you close the bolt. I had never heard of this. Have any of you? He went as far to say that Remington knows about it, but won't fix it. Paul

I know of a few poeple who have had that problem. There was a special on t.v. the other night about the problems. Not sure what Remmington has done about it.

Having worked with triggers on several brand guns, I can tell you it can happen with about any of them.

The 700 is one of my favorite actions and trigger (especially for a light rifle) but they can fire on closing if clogged with debris or the sear engagement is too light.

Remington knows of the problem but the "problem" is a matter of operator error or lack of maintenance (usually).

There have been isolated instances where harm or death have occured. If the gun goes off while pointed in a safe direction we will never hear about it on the news, But..... people make mistakes all too often.

If you own a 700, keep it, shoot it, enjoy it and have it checked periodically my a professional.

Zeke

My son bought a used 700 Rem in a 30-06 it had this problem but we cleaned up the trigger and never had the problem again!

+ 1 zeke, back in my pinfeather days i decided i was just as mechanicaly profeciant as a gunsmith and adjusted the trigers on a 700 and a savage 110. and they would both go off when i closed the bolt or took the safety off. one went off when i closed the bolt the other when i took the safety off. needless to say i took them to a gunsmith and he charged me double for my trouble....

Well, I'll be. I've owned 700 Classics, BDLs, and ADLs, but never encountered any problems. Then again, I never monkey with the triggers, either. pc

My brother has an interarms that would go off when you took it off safety, bought the gun used and found the problem before a round was ever chambered. Got it fixed and haven't had a problem since.

I have a 700 bdl that I love! Never had a problem with, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Infact I'm looking at buying one in a 22-250. I think its an operator problem, bad trigger adjustments or lack of care more than anything.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Paul;

there is a easy to test your 700's to see if it may have a marginal trigger that can fire on closing the bolt or taking off the safety.

Make sure the rifle is empty of all ammo, rack the bolt as if you loading a round, put safety on, pull trigger with about 10 pounds of pressure. then take safety off. Hit bolt handle lightly with soft mallet several taps.

If the gun did not fire when you took safety off or hit the bolt handle with a soft mallet, you should be ok. If the firing pin did go off, get it to a gunsmith.

RELH

Maybe let off the trigger before you slide the safety off when you do you TEST!

Any gun will fire if the trigger is held in the pressed position as the safety is flipped off!

Guys, there is more to this Remington deal than you evidently are aware of. A guy by the name of Walker designed the trigger assembly in the Remington rifles a long time ago and not too long after they were put into production he found a flaw in the design. The flaw causes exactly what you guys are talking about and sometimes the gun will go off even when you are not working the bolt if it has been cocked with a shell in the chamber. Walker asked Remington to change to a design he came up with to correct the flaw and the bosses decided that they would stay with the existing trigger assembly and take their chances that it would not happen very often and they would settle with anybody, rather than issue an expensive recall. Remington is going to be in Court over this and when they are found guilty of what I mentioned there is a big chance they will end up filing for bankruptcy because of the huge damages that might be assessed. From what I have read on the net it appears that this has happened to more than one knowledgeable gun person and it wasn't due to poor cleaning or attempting to do any work on the guns like reducing the trigger pull, etc. From what they say, the problem can't be reproduced, even in guns where the problem has occurred and that is the scary part of this whole thing. You just never know when it will happen! The only way to cure the possibility of having it happen is to have an aftermarket trigger (Timney, etc.)installed to replace the existing trigger assembly. I don't have any Remingtons, but if I did I would spend the money and do exactly that and not worry about the problem happening.

Remington wil be found guilty and file for bankruptcy? I seriously doubt it. There have been lawsuits over this before, it's hardly a new thing. mtmuley

Here's Remington's response to CNBC's 60 Minutes "Remington Under Fire" piece...

A lot of the recent hoopla started with CNBC. You know, the left-leaning, anti-gun media types. In fairness, Remington's response is biased too.

One thing that's true enough, if a finger is on the trigger and the safe is off, the weapon will fire when you close the bolt pretty much 100% of the time.

I have 3 of them and have never had this happen to me. My uncle has ahd his for a over 30 years and has never had it happen to him. But im sure if someone who doesn't take the time to clean it or maybe just got a bad bolt has had this happen to them.

It is more then just a cleaning problem and owner trying to adjust trigger for lighter pull. I have seen 5 of them that would fire when the safety was pushed off, no finger on the trigger, or if the bolt was slammed down hard or jarred.

Three of the guns involved the owner trying to adjust the triggers, but the other two did not involve any tampering with the trigger. In fact the factory sealant was still intack on the adjustment screws.

One was a fairly new gun, at the time it was brought to me, the other was about five years old. I think the gun that was 5 years old had a marginal trigger to began with and the added wear of using it for 5 years was enough to wear the sear down to the point it became unsafe. The new one was a case of Rem. letting a unsafe trigger out the door due to poor quality control.

I replaced all five triggers with factory aftermarket triggers to insure a safe firearm for the customer and no worries on me about letting a unsafe rifle out the door.

You loyal Rem. 700 fans can believe what you want, but I lost faith in the Rem. 700 trigger a long time ago.

RELH

Zeke, after pulling trigger with about 10 pounds of pressure, I did take my finger off the trigger before sliding the safety off. I should have made that clear for the test.

RELH

Thanks RELH! At least there is one person besides myself that knows what's going on with Remington hiding their guilt with their faulty equipment!

Last year my friend bought a brand new Remington CDL, I watched as he took it out of the box and was working the action. It would fire at least once out of every ten times he locked the bolt down, needless to say he replaced the trigger in it before he ever loaded the gun.

>It is more then just a
>cleaning problem and owner trying
>to adjust trigger for lighter
>pull. I have seen 5
>of them that would fire
>when the safety was pushed
>off, no finger on the
>trigger, or if the bolt
>was slammed down hard or
>jarred.
>
> Three of
>the guns involved the owner
>trying to adjust the triggers,
>but the other two did
>not involve any tampering with
>the trigger. In fact the
>factory sealant was still intack
>on the adjustment screws.
>
> One was a
>fairly new gun, at the
>time it was brought to
>me, the other was about
>five years old. I think
>the gun that was 5
>years old had a marginal
>trigger to began with and
>the added wear of using
>it for 5 years was
>enough to wear the sear
>down to the point it
>became unsafe. The new one
>was a case of Rem.
>letting a unsafe trigger out
>the door due to poor
>quality control.
>
> I replaced all
>five triggers with factory aftermarket
>triggers to insure a safe
>firearm for the customer and
>no worries on me about
>letting a unsafe rifle out
>the door.
>
> You
>loyal Rem. 700 fans can
>believe what you want, but
>I lost faith in the
>Rem. 700 trigger a long
>time ago.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>RELH
>
>

I love my 700, but, while I have never had a problem (knock on wood), I have personally witnessed 3 "accidents" with 2 different rifles.

These were both original owner guns, fairly new in great condition and had not been altered in any way.

If it weren't so serious, it would almost be comical when you consider that while Remington has always maintained there is no problem with the trigger, over the years they have issued about three different recalls over it.

Mike Walker who invented it has known and alerted Remington about it since the late forties but Remington chose not to do anything about it.

TAB

- Treat every gun as if it were loaded.

- ALWAYS point the muzzle in a safe diretion. (especially important here, I suppose.....)

- Be sure of your target, and beyond.

I own a 7MM. BDL that my father passed on to me. Never had this problem, but we're not frequent 'shooters'..... I'll definitely give mine an extra good cleaning for now on, and heed the information/warnings above.

Thanks for the info all!

S.

:)

stanley---A "good cleaning" isn't going to get it! If you did not read all of the posts closely, it is not cleaning or lack of maintenance that is the problem. There is an inherent design flaw in the trigger assembly that can make the gun go off at ANY time when a round is in the chamber and it is cocked. The only way to correct the problem is to replace the trigger mechanism for less than $100 and why anyone wouldn't do that for that small cost when we are talking life and death situations has me shaking my head!!!

This is an interesting topic as this has happened to my dad twice with his 30-06. He's never had the trigger worked on and always has taken care of it. The first time happened about ten years back and then again this year. Obviously hasn't happened a lot but it only takes that one time. Didn't know that this was a problem with the gun. It puzzled us on to why it happened, guess now we have a possible explanation.

This has been talked about so much lately. The main problem is that the trigger has 2 pieces that make up the sear. The connector can get either worn or dirty causing it to malfunction. Also there have been cases with almost every rifle company such as ruger, winchester and others that triggers have gone off unexpectedly.

It happened to a brother-in-law with a Ruger while we were out coyote hunting. We got out of the truck and he chambered a round and it went off. Luckily the gun was pointed in a safe direction but it pretty much shut down the hunting for us the rest of the day.

A few years ago I adjusted my dad's trigger on his Remington 700 and it started doing what's been said. We ended up taking it to a gunsmith and he got it working correctly.

Workman Predator Calls Field Staff
http://www.workmanpredatorcalls.com

"stanley---A "good cleaning" isn't going to get it! If you did not read all of the posts closely, it is not cleaning or lack of maintenance that is the problem. There is an inherent design flaw in the trigger assembly that can make the gun go off at ANY time when a round is in the chamber and it is cocked. The only way to correct the problem is to replace the trigger mechanism for less than $100 and why anyone wouldn't do that for that small cost when we are talking life and death situations has me shaking my head!!! "

You're right TOPGUN, I guess I didn't read it all the way through. Now that I have though, it appears as though it's a matter of opinion. Some, such as yourself, are saying it needs the trigger mech replaced, and some (such as Cahunter805 & others....) are saying it's wear/dirt....

I'm a complete novice!!! That's a fact. I'm wondering, not as a gun expert, but as a 'consumer', why if there is difinitive evidence of a design flaw, that there has not been a re-call or something like that. If it is a confirmed design flaw (as opposed to just an opinion...), then wouldn't Remington pay to fix them all? Not trying to be flipp, but asking a sincere question.

Also, could the design flaw (or what ever it is....) cause the gun to go off 'anytime' there is a round chambered & the rifle is cocked, or does having the safety engaged circumvent/override the design flaw? I know that the safety cannot be engaged when chambering a round, but I'm still wondering if once a round is in the chamber, and the safety is engaged, will that keep this flaw from showing its self?

Thanks!
S.

A couple years ago Remington did a recall because you had to take off safety to work the bolt and they converted them so that you could leave on safe and load/unload the gun.Check on this as it also helps.It's free and a whole lot safer

>A couple years ago Remington did
>a recall because you had
>to take off safety to
>work the bolt and they
>converted them so that you
>could leave on safe and
>load/unload the gun.Check on this
>as it also helps.It's free
>and a whole lot safer
>

Thanks for the tip habitat. Maybe I'll check that out. Always thought it was a little strange that it had to be on 'fire' to cycle a round through.

S.

I like the newer saftey except the bolt will accidently lift up while I'm riding around in my truck with live ammo in the chamber. It's hard to hold the spotlight and push the darn bolt back down while I'm trying to shoot out of the window.(from the highway)JK

Actually it will help with safety some. Always practice firearm saftey (point the gun AWAY from EVERYTHING)and when in doubt use a Timney.

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-11 AT 04:12PM (MST)[p]Sounds like you need to junk it. Then pick up a bow so you don't accidentally blow your head off.:D

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

The harder you work the luckier you get!!

stanley---The rifles will go off when a round is chambered and I believe it has happened with the safety on and off. Remington has issued three different minor recalls over the years and IMO it was to try and cover their butts to some extent, but they have never issued a major recall like they should have to admit and correct the problem once and for all because of the major costs involved. There have been thousands of their products going off like we are talking about and the only time you hear about it is when a person gets shot because the rifle was pointed at someone when it happened. They have memos and paperwork where company brass discussed this flaw and it is in the open that Mr. Walker himself told them more than once that the trigger assembly needed to be changed. They chose not to and are paying people off (settlements) when bad things happen because it's cheaper than doing the major recall they should have done years ago. I'm sure there will be a major class action lawsuit one of these days and I would bet that when all this comes out that they are going to lose big time. Remington claims that the accidents are just from people's failure to take care of them properly or tried to make adjustments. Also, they know the situation can't be duplicated even on a gun where it has happened and that's why they aren't recalling them. Incidentally,the Feds cannot force them to recall the rifles like they can defective baby cribs, toys, etc. because they are exempt from that Bureau's jurisdiction! Meanwhile Remington continues to produce these defective products knowing that they are jeopardizing people's lives. That to me is unconscionable and I hope they lose their butts when it finally goes into a courtroom.

Don't spose the internet fuels the problem any, do you TOPGUN? If guns aren't pointed at people, it's hard for a gun to kill someone. Pretty simple. Just for the record, I'll take any Remington from anyone that is disturbed by this. But at a drastically reduced price because, after all, they are defective. I'll even pay shipping. mtmuley

The internet isn't fueling the problem one bit, but Remington is every day they put more of those rifles out of their plant. You are one of many who obviously will not read all the data and come up with an INFORMED opinion on a subject! I hope you aren't the next one to learn the hard way when one "God forbid" goes off for no reason. When thousands of these rifles go off for no reason other than they are a defective product it amazes me that people like yourself trivialize it!!!

My friends brother died last year because of this trigger. If you have a 700.... make sure you check it out.

So sorry to hear that! Please everyone, if this has happened to a number of people reading this thread imagine how many times it has happened worldwide!!! The previous post is testimony of what I have been saying and I hope there is a lawsuit pending on it!!!

I'm not trying to say there is or isn't a trigger problem, but how many thousands have gone off out of how many millions made? I'm pretty sure the ratio is very small which is another reason Remington wont do anything about it.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-11 AT 08:56AM (MST)[p]Here is a short piece about this trigger with an actual quote from Mike Miller, the designer of the flawed trigger assembly:

Even if Remington wasn't aware of the alleged flaw from the beginning, however, evidence exists which indicates that they have known about this problem since the mid-1970s at the latest. Here's what Miller has to say on this:

"They [Remington] started analyzing the problem in '75 because they were getting some additional returns from the field. They realized the Walker fire control system with this trigger connector [sic] and on January 2nd, 1979, there was a meeting with the product safety subcommittee and a decision was made. The 700 at that time was the world's best selling bolt action rifle, may still be today. They knew they'd made 2 million of them at that time ? they were doing about 100,000 a year ? and they had studied that gun over the last 3 or 4 years and deciding what to do. And their estimates[sic] of the 700 problem was only 1% can go off.

"And so they decided on the 700, 'we're not going to recall'. 2 million guns is too many guns if you have only 20,000 bad ones. And that was the decision ? it was an economic decision.

"Now the key thing to understand here is this: every single 700 has the Walker fire control system with a trigger connector in it. If you own a 700, you've got it. And that is the problem ? all of these guns have this design defect in it.

"And such things as age, wear, contaminates [sic] lubricant, things like that will enhance over time, so that the older guns will tend to have more problems than the newer ones."

***Now if that doesn't get everyone's attention who is reading this and has a Remington to replace the trigger assembly before they use their rifle again, I guess I can at least say that I tried to warn you!!! One defective gun out of a factory is too many and for Remington to know that everything they are producing has a 1% chance of killing somebody is unreal! I wish I knew I had a 1% chance of winning the lottery as I'd start buying tickets right away!!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-11 AT 09:24AM (MST)[p]Yes, no doubt about it, Remington Arms is one of the dumbest companies on the planet.

They WANT to go to court and lose everything.

Their stockholders WANT to see the company fail and become non-existant.

They have the dumbest legal staff in the world and their lawyers are WILLINGLY ignoring all this, because huge court cases, that you lose, look good on your resume.

Really?

Apparently, the case, up to this point is not as crystal clear as some of you would like to believe. I seriously doubt that all the informatoin on THIS site is valid.

Please provide one tangible piece of information that can hold Remington Arms negligent.

I have 4, 700's, two of which have triggers set below 2#, for bench shooting. Maybe I could duplicate the issue, shoot my wife in the azz and collect a ton!

If they don't feel they can POSSIBLY lose in court, their position must be solid. In todays world, you can sue anybody for anything, so my bet is, that Remington has their " ducks all in a row".......and some of you are in WAY over your heads!

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid TOPGUN. If people listened to everything we see on the TV or read on the net we'd all need to live under a rock some where and never step foot outdoors. I believe everything you see on the CNBC story and a majority of what you read online is extremely one sided.

I was standing right next to someone when a 700 went off without warning. It was due to a extremely light trigger job and never getting cleaned. I'm not worried, I'll keep shooting my 700s.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-11 AT 10:49AM (MST)[p]I haven't watched a dang thing that any media has put out to be biased on this! Everything I've done has been researched just like a lawyer would for a trial. The internal memos and what Mr. Walker has stated are all out there regarding this flaw. Go ahead and keep your friggin heads buried in the sand and while you're at it you had better pray that you aren't one of the 1% holding one when it goes off unintenionally!!! If you guys would do a little research you would know that Remington has paid out millions of dollars in lawsuit settlements because of this problem to ones who have filed against them. It is much cheaper for them to have people like you naysayers take a chance, have it happen, and then settle on individual claims. That's why they have lawyers and insurance!!! The bottom line is that they want to make a profit like all companies and they are risking lives because a major recall would cost a lot more than just paying out settlements. If the engineer that designed the friggin assembly has told them from the getgo in the early 70s that it has a fatal flaw that needs correction, I guess you all know more than he does, LOL!!! That was his quote that was in my last post, which apparently went right by some!!! What did you not understand when the guy that designed it keeps saying that he F***ed up and many people are at risk?

I know there are a lot of 700 lovers out there, glad I don't own one and will not own one in the future unless I have an aftermarket trigger installed.

No doubt some rumors are false or overhyped, but I am not willing to take the chance if they are true. Just my $0.02

It wouldn't be the first time a corporation covered up the truth for as long as they could. Ford Pinto anyone?

How can anyone NOT own a Rem 700????? It's un-American not to own at least one of everything! haha

With that said, it sounds like we'd all better do some thinking about what we want to do. (I'm buying Timney stock right now, it'll be worth a fortune)

It really is a cheap fix if you're concerned about your trigger. Timney make an excellent product. Several others do as well.

Thanks to everyone for sharing good info along with a little dash of "the sky is falling".

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-11 AT 02:12PM (MST)[p]Zeke---Owning some stock in aftermarket triggers might not be a bad idea, LOL! Seriously though, I was an Investigator with the State of Michigan in Consumer Protection for over 30 years before I retired in 2002 and I have a lot of Courtroom experience. That is why I get "just a little pissed" when people say things they have not done any research on like the research I did before I said one word on this subject here on this thread! I have not seen or read anything out in the media on this so I'm not biased like they are. I also do not and have never owned a Remington product, so I have no bias one way or another there either. I was made aware of this trigger situation on another BB and did my own investigation to come up with everything I posted, so it really wasn't anything near a little dash of "the sky is falling", LOL! I just hope that a lot of people read this thread and make the logical deduction that they should replace the friggin trigger assembly ASAP if they have a Big Green Machine and I ain't talking John Deere!!!

I appreciate your civility.

You've done your research and sharing your findings with us is appreciated. I also respect a guy who does his research and has passion. (You really should own a Rem rifle though)

The "sky is falling" comment came in response to other's comments like "you'll feel bad someday when you blow your friends freakin' head off with one of them there shhitttty Rem triggers".

We can agree on this I'm sure....... "DON'T POINT ANY GUN AT YOUR BUDDIES HEAD!"

Triggers (all of them) are mechanical. They are prone to failure for any number of reasons whether a design issue or otherwise. We shouldn't blame a mechanical device EVERY time WE cause a problem. We have SOME responsibility for the outcome of our actions too.

Zeke

PS: I still say it's ALMOST un-American not to own at least one (1) Rem 700! haha

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-11 AT 03:54PM (MST)[p]Since the gun went into production in 1964 one would think there would be THOUSANDS OF CLAIMS against the company..... Simply not true or they'd be out of business... think some creative greedy little legal mind would have figured out that a class action suit against the company could retire them? Millions upon millions of guns sold and they're still in production! Hmm maybe it's not as big an issue as some would like you to think!

Yes they had some issues and will resolve them and they shouldn't have left the factory but but it's happened to every single manufacturer. If you don't feel safe have a Remington service center look at your gun to be absolutely safe or have a gunsmith put in a new trigger it will be the cheapest peace of mind you ever got.

Topgun without the show how much research would you have honestly done? I suspect you wouldn't have been aware of the issue so how bad is it? Think the antigun lobby may have funded the production costs for that program to hype the hysteria? Still think that the swat teams and police departments would be purchasing an unsafe weapon to use around the public? The Remington 700 is the single largest sniper weapon in usage by all segments of law enforcement. In fact it was the base action for the US ARMY'S new sniper system and we don't want a gun going off undetected in any military operation.... since we will lose the element of surprise and concealment? Think guys don't get a little excited in action especially when being fired upon, and message that trigger a bit? Come on you're smarter than that... look at the big picture.. want to make a splash why not say the largest production rifle of all times is unsafe when you have an agenda!!!

Every guns a target for them and they just want a little more fuel to fan the flames of deception. They want every gun and don't give a damn who made it because every single one of them is unsafe. Safety is the utmost concern of every member on this forum but let's keep things in perspective because some of the so called experts changed their stories when they were in a deposition....Hmmm why would they do that... maybe freedom may have made their memory a bit more clear than the editorial slant portrayed....

This will be my last post on this subject because some of you obviously have not done anything but form a conclusion without doing any research into this and are not reading EVERYTHING that I and several others have posted. The man who designed the trigger assembly, Mike Walker, has stated time and again that Remington has known since the early 70s about the problem and the needed fix because he kept telling them about the flaw. Doesn't that ring an alarm that this is not just antigun people raising a rucus over some falsehood? I DID NOT and still have not watched that CNBC program and did not know of any problems until I read of it on another BB, as I stated earlier. The reason there haven't been thousands of claims against Remington is because there have not been thousands of people killed and the main reason is because when most of the rifles malfunctioned they were pointed in a safe direction. When they weren't and it happened people died and those were the lawsuits that Remington settled out of court to keep the situation as quiet as possible. I am very surprised that there hasn't been a class action lawsuit on this problem and if there is one in the future I would think the testimony of Mike Walker alone would seal the coffin with all the Remington brass inside!!! Nuff said and I'm outa here!!!

I think you need to watch the CNBC program, then you can see exactly what Mike Walker states. They actually interview the guy and you can hear it right from his mouth. He never once stated that there was a fatal flaw in his trigger, just room for improvement from what I think he noted was a "potential" issue. Check it out some time.

I own several 700's and have since the early 70's. To me, they have been one of two choices in a great economical, dependable, right out of the box accurate and "safe" firearm. I also used to be a weekly if not more, participating member of a large group of competitive shooters at a local gun club. There too was MANY Rem 700's that were owned and cherished. Also, was one of the founding members in what today, is one of the biggest and best "big buck contests" out there and have hunted with many of those guys and their 700's through the years.

Not once have i ever heard of any problems or malfunctions with any of mine or their triggers other than maybe that they need to be adjusted because of being too heavy from the factory. My triggers are just where i like them, nice and crisp @ about 2 1/2-3 pounds. Not saying that there couldn't be a problem with some but until recently, it's always been a non-issue. God help the soul who screws with my 700 triggers!

Joey

I had to think twice before typing this since I know there is die hard Remington fans out there get upset when it appears that you are bashing their favorite rifle.

For you guys that do own a Remington 700, be sure to hope it is not your rifle that goes off one day and someone gets hit by the bullet. If that someone can show you were aware of a possible problem and failed to take steps to correct it. You may find yourself being sued along with Remington for vicarious liability reasons. Just a warning to make you aware of a possible problem.

As for me, I do not own any Remington 700's.

RELH

I don't care if you "bash" my rifles RELH. I don't point them at objects I do not mean to destroy anyway. Ever. And I bet the trigger is never falsely blamed in an unsafe gun handling situation when an accident occurs. I AM NOT AND WOULD NOT EVER trivialize an individual losing their life. (So KMA TOPGUN) If safe gun handling was learned and practiced, ZERO people would be harmed by any style, make or fashion of firearm, PERIOD. Internet banter from some self proclaimed expert that watches TV isn't going to sway my rifle preferences either. If you are worried about the probability of a Remington trigger being unsafe, do not purchase the product. If you already possess said product, dispose of it. mtmuley

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-11 AT 11:21AM (MST)[p]
RELH has a valid point in that anyone feeling any firearm isn't working properly should take it to a good gunsmith to have it looked at. If anybody on here has SELF ADJUSTED their REMINGTON triggers on their firearms they may want to do the same thing because they may not have adjusted the trigger properly for all conditions.

But the fact that many seem to believe that Remington made millions of guns with a defective trigger design shows their ignorance and supports the fact they want to buy into the hype. No company on earth is that stupid and if it was that wide spread why on earth would so many law enforcement agencies and the military continue buying the UNSAFE gun with other alternatives available? Surely hundreds of thousands of fully trained personel who shoot their weapons hundreds of times more than consumers in those agencies would have been able to identify the issue or have an accident in the field, yet they still keep putting them in service.... You can't sweep that type of issue under the carpet when there's so many using the product many of which are trained end users.

Think any government or municiple agency that has purchased hundreds of weapons over decades as a customer may carry a little more weight in getting issues resolved than one little consumer and think that may have come to light and been reported by the little darlings in the media.... If there was an issue as large as some think there was why did they keep buying them... Hmmm.

OR could it be that the issue wasn't as big as some would like you to think.... go figure.... now there's an angle that for all the widespead hysteria seems to make the most sense. Further supported by the fact the people actually in the business that know more about the guns then any consumer, still kept buying them for themselves and their agency's. Otherwise they would have had to knowingly execute a new contract that put each entity in line for a potential liability suit while compromising the safety of their personel and the public that they serve. Well I guess that's one angle.... but one that simply doesn't flush given the magnitude of incompetence that would exist.

All makes have adjustment issues and that's why we have 6+ lb triggers pulls out there and then guys are forced to tinker to get tighter groups by making the pull lighter usually resulting in an unsafe condition with some brands. If you don't like the pull weight have it adjusted by a professional who actually knows what they're doing. You and your family will be safe and you'll probably avoid a dangerous misfire in the process.

I like the un-American statement :) I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure Winchester and Browning are still American companies. Plenty of choices out there beside even these three.

I don't know why you guys keep going on about this. Remington will NEVER go out of business, they have millions and millions of dollars. I'm sure in the safety manual of the Remington 700 it says that a trigger may fail due to mechanical problems. So I don't think that this car would last long. Jmo

One of the funniest JFK theories I have heard is that Oswald missed, but a secret service agent picked up his Remington 700 to return fire, and it accidentally went off when he hit the safety.... :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom