reloading ?

KNOTFERSAIL

i loaded a box of 257 wtby today,i went out shoot'n and 5 out of the 20 casing were a little tight we i closed the bolt.

the brass has 3 loads on them,64 grains of imr 4831 close to max,

i load 7 other belted mags and never had this problem,should i scrap the brass and use new?? is the belt seperating from the case??

any ideer's on what h3ll is going on???

no i'm not look'n for any honeyholes,

thanks for you'r advice,

I've had that same problem and it was that the bullet wasn't seated in the case far enough. It did it on brand new cases too. I would have to pull them apart and redo them.

the c.l. and the o.a.l ain't the issue,there both .0004 under max.

iv'e loaded for a long time and this is the first time iv'e seen this issue.i'm kinda think'n i have some bogus brass

Could be one of several things. Since it is the third reloading of that brass and you load it near max, you could be getting brass flow into the neck portion and the cartidge neck is too large in Dia. when you seat the bullet, for your chamber.
You also may have failed to set the shoulder back far enough, but without being able to examine your brass and rifle it is just a guessing game.

As for case seperation, check for a bright ring around the case up from the web of the case. You can also use a 90 degree bent wire, with a sharp point, to insert into the bottom of the case and drag the sharp point up the inside case wall and see if you detect it hanging up on a depression. If you do you have the start of case seperation and need to throw the cases away and get new.

RELH

I don't believe bullet manufacturers have a tolerance of .004". Even though you are that far under max (which isn't very much), I would maybe set them back a couple more thousands just to be sure. Another test would be to load some dummy rounds at that length, and maybe to .003 from max and chamber them. See if there are any scratches on the marker when you pull them out. I am betting the chamber is just a bit shorter than what the specified max is, or the bullets tolerances make up the difference, or both. I can't think of any other reason a bolt would be hard to close on a reloaded cartridge.

Marcial

Heed RELH's advice...All of it..

I bet the shoulders need to be bumped.

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom