Reloading help please

D

dwayneb

I know this isnt the perfect forum for reloading advice...sorry in advance. Im active duty military soon returning from Afghanistan and wanted to get into reloading my .300 RUM...it costs me over $3 every time i fire the damn thing. So question is with a smaller budget than i hoped for what would be suggestions for the simplest, least expensive gear to reload my rifle without sacrificeing quality in the end product. I understand once i start its up to me to test different loads and types of powder, but what exactly do i need to produce results that improve accuracy over factory ammo. If this makes a difference i have just had a 28" flutted schillen barral put on my gun since ive been deployed. I apprecite any input provided, this is something i have never done, but the cost of ammo (especially for the RUM) is killin me. If you have some used gear i can buy to get started im interested!

Dwayne

You'll get good answers here...not from me:) BUT thank you for your military service!!! Tell those boys over there that MM loves them.

I will do, and thank you guys for the hunting stories and pictures, they keep us clickin over here...its been a long 7 months.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-11 AT 09:49PM (MST)[p]I would take a very good look at buying the RCBS Rock Chucker supreme master reloading kit. Cabela's is selling the kit for $ 320.00 It has everything to get started except for your 300 RUM dies and shell holder.

It has the Rock chucker press, powder scales, powder measure, case sizing lube with lube pad, loading block and Speer #14 loading manual, hand priming tool and case deburring tool.

I started out with the RCBS rock chucker press over 30 years ago and I am still using the same press today for loading rifle ammo. It will load very accurate ammo if you do your part and RCBS has a no B.S. replacement warranty if anything fails. It took me over 30 years to test that warranty as their reloading equitment is top of the line and built to last.

RELH

P.S. This old Army vet. sends his thanks for your service to your country and pass that on to your buddies.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-11 AT 06:47AM (MST)[p]Here's another old Army Vet wishing you the best and stay low good buddy!!! The advice RELH mentioned is about as good as it will probably get if you want good equipment with no hassles in one package, which is wise for a beginner IMO. You should also figure on good calipers to do your measurements and I suggest you go with Forster dies as I think they are as good as you can get for a decent price. However, there are several good manufacturers out there and each person has their own favorites in reloading just like we do in vehicles! You'll also end up with a few other little dodads along the way, but $500 bucks should get you going and most all that stuff will last you a lifetime. The initial outlay will take time to recoup, but after you get going it won't take that long to make up for that $3 a pop factory ammo! Good luck and be safe!!! PS: You'll find reloading is addictive once you get into it. One last thing---if you want to get a start at looking at some good "how to" videos on various techniques involved in the reloading process, take a look at www.ammosmith.com. They have a lot of good stuff in their Video Library, especially for a beginner.

Thanks for your service/sacrifice.The above advice is dead on and if you need any info on .300 loads i have a ton of data that i have generated working up different loads for mine that might save you some time and money just shoot me a PM and ill be happy to share it.

Be Safe

Thanks everyone, your thoughts are appreciated...the advice is well taken in looks like i will plan on going with RCBS, it will hurt in the beginning but pay off in the long run.

Thanks for your service. The above advice is about as good as you can get. They only thing I can add is to look into purchasing a RCBS Precision Micrometer for you 300 RUM. It will help you with headspacing and let you seat any bullet to the same ogive depth. Saves time when loading different bullets.

Phantom Hunter

The rcbs kit is a great buy. You won't regret it. You will need to pick up a few other things also. I would suggest you pick up some Retumbo powder or RL25 for the 300RUM. Also keep an eye out on a few online forums for a used kit. That may save you a few dollars.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-11 AT 11:32AM (MST)[p]Grab that deal quickly if you can, as you won't come close to that price anywhere with that rebate included!!! Cabelas has the kit for $319.99 and has an extra shipping charge besides their normal rate due to the package weight. There are 88 customer reviews on the kit and it gets a 4.9 out of 5. That's as high as I've ever seen for any product review with a decent number of respondents, so they are echoing what we have stated about the package.

I jumped on the BUY IT NOW auction for $319.00. Still got the free shp + the $50 rebate, the other auction i could have been outbid...thanks a million i am eager to get started before this yrs rifle hunt. Ive been researching, think i will lean towards loading the 180gr swift scirocco, holds up nicely and still shoots very flat from my .300 RUM...thanks again for everyones comments.

I too would like to thank you for your service. Good reloading equipment will last you the rest of your life and is a great investment. None of that stuff really wears out. With that 28" barrel you should really get some great performance out of the RUM. 180 or 200 grain bullets should knock the coon dog $hit out of just about anything that walks on planet earth!

Venison and Zinfandel are GOOD!

if you are looking for an improvement over factory accuracy. try the 210g berger over 92g of retumbo. i just finished a velocity matrix. 14 rounds in 1 hole, the size of my thumbnail at 100 yards. with a bc of over .650, im expecting some impressive results at long range.

dw....probably too late now but isn't there isn't some kind of Military PX store where you can get stuff like this at a discount better than the civilians?.....thats what we did when I was in the military..

RELH and the rest of the fellas are spot on. Once you get started, reloading will become an addiction. Take your time and get yourself set up with a well organized and well lit work area. Do some searches on the internet and you will find countless resources, articles and reloading forums. There are many tips and tricks that will effect accuracy, some of them may be unnecessary except for the match shooters, but you can pick and choose which information to follow.

Here is a link to 1 article that I like http://www.24hourcampfire.com/reloading.html

Good luck and enjoy your new hobby.

Nails

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom