Reloading for a 300 Winchester

Striker

I was fortunate enough to buy a 300 Winchester Mag a few days ago. I have a few slugs in mind for reloading. 165 grain Nosler Accubond, 180 grain Nosler Accubond or 180 grain Sierra Gameking. I will mostly hunt deer and elk with this rifle out to possibly 600 yards. Do you guys have any suggestions? All of these slugs offer good BC's. Has anyone used the 165 Accubond in a 300? If so how was its performance on deer and elk?

In 30 caliber, there is no reason to even consider a 165 grn (unless you already have an excellent load in place).

A 165 grn. bullet will leave the muzzle faster but, because of the lower coefficient (compared to a 180 grn.), it will have less downrange energy, less accuracy and a less-flat trajectory.

I use 180 Accubonds and have had excellent performance on deer, elk and bear (mine is a Weatherby but the physics remain the same).

Within the shadows, go quietly.

LAST EDITED ON May-16-10 AT 01:15PM (MST)[p]For the money, the Game Kings are an impressive bullet. I've used the 165's and 180's with great results. Matched up with IMR 4350, they have performed well. I've also had good groups on paper with the Hornady SST 165's. Haven't used them in the field just yet. Very comparable to the Game King but, with the poly tip.

For what it's worth...my rifle also shoots the 180 grain tighter than the 165's.

I like features of both the Gamekings and the Accubonds. Sounds like the 180 grainers are the choice weight for this caliber.

Check out the spec's and ballistic coeficient(?) on Hornady's 190 gn boattail. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

I love the Sierra gameking bullets, but I limit them to deer and antelope. I prefer Nosler Partitions for my 300 Win. mag as a elk bullet and the 180 gr. weight.

For the two bullets you mentioned, I would use the 180 gr. Nosler Accubond over the Sierra Gameking as it seems to be a little tougher bullet if you have to punch though a shoulder.

The Sierra Gamekings will do the job on a broadside chest shot, but will expand more rapid on a shoulder shot that may limit it's penatration into the vitals.

The Gamekings are noted for outstanding accuracy, but they are light construction compared to many other bullets for big game like elk or moose.

RELH

some good advice already. I would only add, try several different bullets and powders to find the load for your particular gun. I shoot a .300 Win Mag and found that 180 gr. Sirroco's fly the best for me. Good luck. Great gun that I'm sure you will be satisfied with.

It's always an adventure!!!

I loaded up 180 accubonds that are shooting around a 5/8 group out of a factory remington 700. I have also found them to be very lethal on BIG game.

Cabinfever, Do you have any idea how fast you're reloads are? I think that I am leaning in favor of the 180gr. Accubonds. Everyone that I have talked to about them seems to be impressed with their performance.

I wont shoot anything but 180gr bullets in my 300. I have had good luck with Accubonds. IMR 4350 was accurate but not at max load. I cant find my chrono record but my best load was RL22 at around 3100 fps for my gun.

If you want to check out a really high BC bullet in a the 165g class, check out the new Barnes tipped triple shock(TTSX). It is above 500BC and I can shoot it out to 800yds in my 300WSM with surprising accuracy. Certainly the 180 in the TTSX could also be a good choice.

I tell ya. I have had amazing success with the Barnes TSX Bullets. If you are right about the High BC's and I am sure you are. Then I will ceratinly look into them.

Check out the spec's and ballistic coeficient on the Berger 190 gn VLD. H-1000 Powder and CCI mag primers. I think this bullet will have the best BC in the 180-190 range. This is what I shoot out of my win mag. Half inch moa at 100.

I recommend the 165 Nosler ballistic tip and the 4350 powder! I use this and havd excellent results and plenty of knock down power for mule deer and elk! Good luck!

>If you want to check out
>a really high BC bullet
>in a the 165g class,
>check out the new Barnes
>tipped triple shock(TTSX). It
>is above 500BC and I
>can shoot it out to
>800yds in my 300WSM with
>surprising accuracy. Certainly the 180
>in the TTSX could also
>be a good choice.

30 Caliber
168 Grain T-TSX BC is .470

Striker

Average velocity with the 180 accubonds was 3060 fps. I also highly reccomend RL22 powder. Don't be afraid to try the berger 190 VLD's with retumbo powder as well. They are tack drivers.

180g bullet with RE22, or 4350 if your barrel is shorter.
My best load is RE22 and the original 180XBT at about 3050 fps. Shoots little bitty groups in my rifle, and never had to shoot anything twice.
I bought about 4 boxes of 180XBT's when they discontinued them, and it made load developement for that rifle really boring.

LAST EDITED ON May-20-10 AT 03:30PM (MST)[p]I reload for two 300 WM's, a Remington 700 and a Browning X Bolt.

The Remington has a 24" barrel and performs well with 180gr Barnes TSX and TTSX. Dropped a CO elk with the TSX in 2008 and an AZ elk with the TTSX last year. Each performed very well and there was NO track job on either elk. Both bullets are very accurate at 200yds (the farthest distance on the range) and top out about 2,900fps loaded with 73gr of RL-19. It does about the same with 75.0gr of RL-22. No noticable difference with RL-19 or RL-22 with the Remington.

The Browning X Bolt has a 26" barrel and I am still trying to find the load and bullet it likes. Have shot Nosler Partition Protected Points loaded at 3.35 OAL with RL 19 and RL 22 and found the it likes the RL 22 best. The chrony registered 2,900 - 3,000 fps with the Partitions.

Tried 180gr Nosler Accubonds loaded with 75.0gr of RL-22 at 3.41 OAL and reached speeds near 3,200fps. Accuracy was great at 100yds, but pretty inconsistent at 200yds. I may try to slow them down a bit to see if I can get better accuracy at 200yds, but the Partitions seem to work the best for now.

For elk, I'd stay with the Noslers and leave the Game Kings for deer if you wish. Anyway you look at it you have a great round for anything you want to hunt.

My $0.02.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom