Reload or Not Reload????

Founder

Founder Since 1999
So I was reading the most recent issue of Christensen's Hunting Illustrated yesterday. The Dueling Duo was talking about reloading....."Reload or Not to Reload". I got to wondering, how many people on the site here reload their own ammo.?

Years ago I used to load my own, but then just as the article in CHI read, I gave it up because I just didn't have the time to do it. Every now and then I think about pulling all the stuff out from the top of the garage and getting back into it, but still....time is the issue.

Anyway, how many of you reload your own ammo??

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I reload all my own rifle ammo. Still just buy shotgun shells. I find it doesnt take that much time once everything is setup. It does take up some time to fine tune a load for a rifle but I think the trade off is more practice behind the rifle. I like being able to custom tune the load to my rifle and load whatever grain and bullet I want.

I still load/reload for rifle, pistol and some shotgun.
Time is sometimes an issue but I enjoy it when I do it.
Time to shoot is harder to find than loading time.
Get your son involved, he might really enjoy it too.

I do. But yes, time is the limiting factor. It cant be
just any time - I have to be "in the zone". No distractions.

I reload all mine. Well that's not exactly true, I have a friend that is way into loading bullets so he usually loads them all for me!

I load all mine. I enjoy doing it so I don't look at it as wasting time. I've found I shoot a lot more now so I'm probably not saving money, but it sure is fun making some super accurate loads.

Load my own. 300RUM are very expensive otherwise. So are 222. 10mm. Why I get these guns that have expensive shelf ammo - I dont know - reloading makes it a little better.

Outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man.

I reload my. I find it to be a nice relaxing day in my Man-Cave :)
Better accuracy and spend less $$

I load all mine it is time consuming espicially when you get down to tinkering with different powders seat deapths and every thing but i get alot of satisfaction of working up the most accurate load i can and then shooting stuff with them and i think i can load more accurate loads for any of my guns than i can buy

Do you really think it saves you money? Like someone else said...I think you shoot more so I am thinking it will not save money?

I have really been giving this a lot of thought lately. I think I would shoot more and try to "tweak" loads more and have more fun..if I got into reloading.

My problem is I would be starting from scratch.....so how much money would I have to invest in the beginning?

also...thanks for starting this thread!

Accuracy is a very good reason to reload but not the only reason. One of the best ways to get tack driving accuracy is to get your bullet seated in the "sweat spot" in relation to your lands.You can't acheive this with factory loads. Another reason is, I never have to worry about wether one of the local stores has my ammo.And yes, I think it is cheaper to reload.The price of factory ammo has gone through the roof in recent years.

I have been reloading for over 30 years. Very rarely do I ever use factory ammo. I even cast lead bullets for several 45/70s, 44 Spec. and 44 mag. 45 acp, and plinking loads for 38 spec.
I am retired and have more time then most to do this and I enjoy putting together loads that out do factory in accuracy. Do not let anyone tell you that cast bullets are not accurate, I have 25 yard targets for pistol reloads that are 1 to 1-1/2 inch in group size, and rifle target at 100 yards that go 1 inch or less in size and they are hot hunting loads.
Yes you will shoot more by reloading because your dollar buys a lot more ammo. Ask my son, who has started reloading after paying almost 70 bucks for a 20 round box of 300 Weatherby ammo. He was really P.O.ed when he found out I had over 200 cases and 300 Nosler partitions bullets for that caliber and the 7 mm Weatherby he got from his grandfather.

RELH

>Do you really think it saves
>you money? Like someone else
>said...I think you shoot more
>so I am thinking it
>will not save money?
>
>I have really been giving this
>a lot of thought lately.
>I think I would shoot
>more and try to "tweak"
>loads more and have more
>fun..if I got into reloading.
>
>
>My problem is I would be
>starting from scratch.....so how much
>money would I have to
>invest in the beginning?
>
>also...thanks for starting this thread!

If you wanted to start reloading I would search the classifieds such as 24hr campfire, LRH, or others. You can usually pick up a used press, scale and some other basics for very cheap. The intial cost will be offset once you start shooting though. Yes you probably will shoot more rounds but they are much cheaper than factory box. Also with more shooting you become more comfortable with your gun and how the trigger breaks and feels. I think this makes you a much better shot. For me practice makes perfect so I have no problem loading 20 rounds and going out to practice different ranges to get used to shooting that far and from different positions.

I reload all my rifle cartridges and some pistol and shotgun. Most of my guns have never had a factory load in them. Like RELH I've been reloading for over 40 years and not only can you save money but you can get extremely accurate loads for your rifle or pistol.
Pick up the RCBS Rockchucker combo at a sporting goods store near you or order online to get started for about 270 bucks. You'll need dies for the caliber of cartridge you want to reload also and they run about 25 bucks each.

It's kinda like shooting a RUGER 100-22!

I never could load them as quick as I could un-load them!:D

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

I Love to reload wouldn't do it any other way! Gets me to the range often to try new loads!

There is only so much time.

For me I would "rather fish than cut bait".

I know some people enjoy it and if I did I guess I would find time to do it.

I reload all of my target ammo for competition guns because I will generally shoot 400-500 rounds at a week long competition and the I am shooting for 2" groups at 600 yards and 6" groups at 1000. I also reload my 300 winmag that I hunt with, but I buy factory ammo for my .243, 22.250, 17HMR, .308, etc.

FLEH hit the nail on the head. If you are one of those guys that are satisfied with a 6 inch group at 500 yards, buy factory ammo. In fact, for some people I would reccomend using the time it would have taken to reload to get to know your equipment a little better and learn to shoot a little better.:D It's more of a hobby than it is an economical way of shooting. Kind of like putting a lift on a truck; sure looks cool but it doesn't really serve an economical purpose.

It's always an adventure!!!

I have done it for years now, it allows me to get the exact load I want every time. After all the load testing and plinking around I spend way more than I ever would if I only bought ammo, but I am also a gun nut and love to shoot. There are good factory loads but I am a control freak when it comes to what I shoot so I plan on keeping it up.

Been doing it a few years. Lots of fun and relaxing, saves money, and allows me to shoot more. If you have an "odd" caliber its the only way to go. I love my 257 Roberts but try buying ammo and the selection is poor at best....if you can even find it.

i have been reloading for a few years.i have a son who shoots lots thats why i reload so many lol.i enjoy it when its cold in winter go to garage get doing it. have a progressive it go fast last winter i finally got caught with all reloading.but my son an frends made sure i didnt stay caught they shot a lot this summer so at it again.

Here's what I don't get?

My 7 mag is a 7 Mag,alot of people like to up-load bullets to make their 7 Mag shoot like a 300 Mag!

Not me!

I'll just get my 300 Mag out & shoot it!

Ya,I know my 300 Mag ain't near as good as the next guys,I'm shooting Factory Ammo & the other guy has jacked his Re-loads up till He's shooting nearly with a 300 RUM!

For the shooting I do the critter will never know that my gun shoots 300 FPS slower than the guy that reloads!

I know some guys don't load them hotter than recommended but I know alot of guys that like to TAMP THE POWDER with the slug!

I get enough reloading with my SmokePole!:D

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

Bessy I don't understand why you shoot them catch and release guns! Get a real gun like Stinkbug has! 1 shot and it changes the rotation of the world. .50 BMG.
Back in the day when reloading components were affordable I loaded up. I picked up a progressive loader boxes and boxes of components. I will never use them all. I already had the loads worked up so now time is no factor. I have so much ammo now I could supply a small army like Bessy or better yet BAM BAM Stinky Stomper who has to fire 92 shots sighting in his gun just to find out it don't shoot straight then do it all over again.
I don't load so much now but when I sit down for an evening I might load up 200 hundred. My trouble is finding time to shoot them. Or something to shoot at.
Now Founder if you learn to shoot straight you wouldn't have to reload. I mean how many freaking tags do you have? 1 Shot 1 Kill.
I don't do Steel Shot it is a pain. But then I only killed one goose in 92 trips to the field. It had a heart attack when it seen me. NO shots fired.
Rutnbuck

I reload primarily because of the versatility it gives me. Even now when there are more bullet choices availible in factory loads, you are confined to the powder charge the factory gives you for a certain bullet......kind of a one size fits all. I personally like to custom fit a bullet/powder combination to whatever situation I intend to use it for......Whether I'm souping up a load for big game, or taming it down for varmints or plinking.

Most of the guns I own have never seen a factory load.

I reload my own rifle ammo. I will eventually start reloading pistol ammo for the 44 and 357. It does take a lot of time to work up loads and find the best combination of powder and slug for your gun. For me it is well worth the accuracy I gain. Especially when I can put 3 shots touching with something like my 325 WSM at a 100 yards.

I started reloading rifle ammo 50 yrs ago.My grandpa bought his reloader and all his components from Herters.So far,my son and both my daughters have spent many hours with me reloading.Now my grandson and grandaughters help and enjoy reloading with us.Its more to me than trying to save money.Its a time to relive and talk about past hunts and times that we have had.We are still useing the same press,dies,trimmer,and scales that my grandpa had.(ROD)

I've been reloading for nearly 40 years. I have tried to quit a couple of times but factory ammo does not give me the accuracy that I get from my reloads.

I don't reload a have no real interest in reloading. I hear a lot about accuracy so at 100, 200, and 300 yard how much of a difference do you see between factory and handloads?

Al

I can't sit still long enough to reload much and don't feel confident enough to do rifle bullets. Shotgun I can do though!

I have a really good friend that can't get enough of reloading. We worked up a load for my 300 mag that is sweet! I need bullets I call him and pick them up for what materials cost. $19vs$70 for barnes triple shocks is a great deal for me!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

It depends on the application tailchaser. For hunting purposes, most of the upper end factory loads will do the job. If you are competing and trying to beat the guy next to you that is shooting a 2" group at 600 yards, it's critical enough to reload your own. You won't get pinpoint accuracy like that with factory ammo. So if you are just hunting, you will be fine with factory ammo. Some of the things you can do to your gun will help accuray as well like glass bedding, lapping the barrel, good optics, etc. It's really a combination of things.

It's always an adventure!!!

FLEH, Do a search on the gun forum. I started from scratch and I'm glad I jumped into it. Buy a RCBS Rock Chuck kit. I don't think you would regret it. It should come with a Sierra book. Read it from cover to cover before you get started. Then if you have any questions ask away.

Cabelas has it for $269.00. Plus if you spend $300.00 total in RCBS products you get a $50.00 rebate.

Tailchasers;

Do not sweat the accuracy difference between reloading and high end factory ammo.

Federal supreme ammo is a good example, there is others also. using the Federal Supreme loading in .300 Win. Mag, 180 gr. Nosler Partition factory ammo, I have to work at it very hard to match or beat their accuracy in several rifles I have shot that paticular factory load.

There is very good factory ammo out there that will shoot 1 inch or better at 100 yards and some of it is with very good hunting bullets that will preform well in the game you are after.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom