RELH, Do you know this gentleman?

Ok I know you asked Bob but he doesn't look like he's from the fueding branch of Hatfields. Lynch Hatfield the feuder was my great granddad.

2311idiot.jpg

Looks like he won a nice Winchester Model 70 for his efforts.

I wish i had a picture of the buck My Uncle killed back in the 60's out of the Spanish Ranch, North Eastern Nevada. IMO, Very High Book Non-typical, won new 30-30, "most points", Stockman's Hotel, Elko Nv.

There was only one copy of that pic that i know of and i don't know where it went after his passing. The Rack burned in a Winter Range Cabin fire he was staying in that year while working cattle.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I doubt if he's related to RELH. There would be a jug of kerosene in the photo if he was. Heck of a great buck though.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

2Lumpy; No I do not know him. There is several branches of the Hatfield family. Some involved in the feud and several branches not involved in the feud. Cuz, Ransom, and I are from the feuding side of the family. Devil Anse Hatfield was my great grandfather. My grandfather was Joe D. Hatfield and he was elected sheriff of Logan County, West Virginia in 1928. He also made some of the best moonshine in thar hills with the recipe from his father, Devil Anse Hatfield.

The Hatfields are now making legal moonshine, that means they are paying the feds their tax, and selling it under the name of the Hatfield & McCoy Moonshine Distillery in West Virginia using Devil Anse Hatfield's original recipe.

Cuz, Ransom told me we should stock up with a few gallons of the original moonshine. He stated what we do not drink, we could use it in place of kerosene to burn out Eel and get his honey hole map.

RELH

True story.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Well, sounds like some Hatfields have done right will, cooking corn and sugar. The other branch apparently produced some pretty fair deer hunters, by the looks of these old pics.

837460sbucklhatfieldutah.jpg

Speaking of shine, there's a little history of that in our family tree as well. Wife's father was raised north of Little Rock Arkansas, in the 30's, during the depression and probation in Oklahoma. He ran corn liquor across the State line, to feed his mother and youngest brother. Avoided a jail sentence in 1941, by agreeing to join the Army and fight in the Philippines. He could keep the kids entertained with his stories, of days gone by.

Oh, we all have some characters in our history, if we look back over our shoulder now and again.

DC

I could tell you some tales of the feuding Hatfields that was not in the movie they made about the feud and family.

Devil Anse's oldest son, Cap Hatfield was the real mean one in the family. He was feared by the McCoys and many others as one person to not piss off.

When my grandfather was the elected sheriff of Logan County, he employed Cap Hatfield as a deputy. Cap had also passed his bar exam as an attorney and provided legal training to the deputies. This was a first in that area in the 20's.

Prior to my grandfather becoming sheriff, Don Chaffin was the sheriff and he also had a moonshine still and the feds tried everything to get him arrested. Tennyson Hatfield was a deputy for Sheriff Don Chaffin and bootleg the moonshine for Chaffin.

Tennyson got caught by the feds with a load of moonshine and was arrested. They offered him a walk if he gave up Don's moonshine still. Tennyson took the offer and Don Chaffin ended up doing 5 years in a federal prison.

After getting out of prison, Don Chaffin ran for sheriff and was re-elected. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT!!! Don put out the word that he was going to get even with Tennyson and Cap Hatfield heard about it.

Cap saddled up his riding mule and took up his 1873 Winchester and rode over to pay Don Chaffin a visit at his home. Cap got to the house and found Don sitting on the front porch. He walked up to Don and stated, I came here to bring you war or peace, what is it going to be. If you harm Tennyson, you will have a war with the Hatfields. Don replied he did not want any war with the Hatfields and Tennyson lived to die a old man of natural causes.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Apr-17-15 AT 01:02AM (MST)[p]Those were different times RELH, men took care of business differently then than we do now. While those were legendary times, I hope we never get back to that kind of problem solving, but I do worry, at times. I suppose there's a fair amount of "1873" solutions in our present day drug trade, maybe a hundred years from now they'll be telling tails about 2015 and front porch arrangements from our time.

I have to say, you've come from a storied past. One of the most intriguing in American history. Thanks for sharing some of the family history R, those little extras are the spice in a salsa! ;-)

DC

I Heard the Hats & McCoys had Smoothed everything out over the years!:D:D:D

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

Cuz, be careful where you thread. You know that a lot of those Hatfield boys crossed the Tug River into Kentucky and married a few of those McCoy girls. Lil Red just might have some Hatfield blood in her also.
On second thought, she is a redhead and the McCoys were more prone to light colored hair of the reddish kind and Hatfields were more prone to dark hair. She might be full blooded McCoy after all. I hope you do not plan to burn her out, I kind of like her even if she is of McCoy blood.

RELH

My Great great Grandma Martha was a McCoy ...I have deep rooted Hatfield blood in me also.....but don't tell anyone, I'm proud to be a McCoy !!!

I know where you two sleep ...Just sayin !!!

Lil Red, I hope 1911 has forbidden you to have any kerosene on hand. Cuz and I do not like the idea of having to look over our shoulders all the time due to a sneaky McCoy.
See Cuz, you stirred that red head up and she is planning on some mischief.

RELH

Holy Crap! I slobbered over that picture the whole time I was growing up in Richfield. It hung in the old Sinclair on the east side of town. If I remember right, it came off the Corn Creek area. My cousin and I would walk the sides of the highway, to collect enough pop bottles to turn in for a candy bar, and another pop. I would stand there and stare at that picture almost every day. That is my dream buck, burned into the depths of my memories, and soul! I have thought about that picture many times, over the years, but didn't think I would ever see it again. Thank You!

Your right bucklover, I saw the same pictures hanging in Pearson's Sinclair, when I made a visit to Richfield in 1975. I made up my mind I wanted to live where I could hunt those kind of deer lived. I moved to Richfield in November of 75, for that very reason. Until January of 2015, when I threw in the towel, I tired for 40 years to preserve and grow those kinds of deer, for future generations to hunt. Sad to say, their gone and gone for ever, on public lands, beyond a rare buck here and there, and we'll never seem them in any numbers, in Utah again.

The Pearson family allowed me to scan the images of all the pictures, they had left, from those big buck contests, about 15 years ago.

Glad you enjoyed seeing them again.

DC

He might be from a different Hatfield branch but he sure did kill a huge Buck. I think Cuz and I would be willing to bestow feuding Hatfield branch to him...

2311idiot.jpg

Cuz, take a close look at the second picture of Hatfield holding that buck. Look closely at the shape of his eyes and compare it to a front face picture of Devil Anse. He might just be from Devil Anse's line. Heck old Devil Anse had 13 kids and my grandfather was the middle child at number 7.

RELH

Hogs, deer, evidently all the same to a Hatfield! It's a talent, not doubt. Apparently you can take a Hatfield out of West Virginia but you can't take WV out of the Hatfield. Hunters all!

I came to this area many years after these deer were taken by Mr. Hatfield but the folks at the tire store remember that he was an excellent hunter and brought many large bucks, over a period of many years, into Pearson's Sinclair, to compete in the big buck contests. He was well regarded by the employees there by the time I showed up in the community.

The gentleman on the left in this pic. knew him well and had nothing but respect for him.

9983westmountainbucks.jpg

DC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom