Region R archery mule deer

• Thread starter TeamBackcountry
  • Start date
T

TeamBackcountry

I recently sent in my non-res WY deer application. I've got 2 pref points and I put region R as my second choice. I was told that if you draw your second/third choice you will still gain a bonus point. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I've been looking around the forum for information on Region R for mule deer in the Big Horns and haven't seen much. Was I misinformed that this is a decent unit for an archery mule deer hunt? I'm just looking for a chance at a good buck 160"+ range. I am looking for a backpack type archery hunt. Anyone have experience archery hunting in Region R? Thanks guy

That's correct. You only lose your PPs when you draw your first choice tag. As far as Region R is concerned, it has decent deer that would probably meet your criteria if you can find them. The best area is probably up toward the Montana border. It's really not know as that great an area for deer, but more for good elk hunting.

Well maybe I won't draw with only 2 PP as a non-res. And if I do, oh well, I still gain a 3rd point. Can't complain about a deer tag in my pocket. I put region H as my 3rd choice. Do you think region H would be better for archery mule deer?

unless things change you will not draw r or h second choice unless you put up the big bucks for the special draw.

I just did the regular draw. Any decent units a non-res could draw second choice with 2 PP? Probably not huh?

He is correct in that unless things change you would have to put in for R as a first choice to get a tag. Did you put in for a unit where you know you can't draw it as a first choice and are hoping to draw your second or third choice? If you want to change things around if you aren't aware of it, you have until the close of business on June 3 to modify or withdraw your application.

from what i understand and i may be wrong your points have nothing to do with your second choice . you could easily get a y or m tag as a 2nd choice. same region and from what i have seen same type of deer. i have hunted both north and south ends of r a couple times and was disapointed.not worth the price of a special tag to me.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-12 AT 06:53AM (MST)[p]36moose---You understand correctly. After all the first choice tags are taken and you don't draw one, then the computer will allow you to draw for your second choice along with everyone else that had it as their second. Then if you are still not drawn it does the same with your third choice. I am hearing more and more negative comments on Region R like yours and have decided to skip hunting up there for the time being. He should be able to draw Region Y or M as a second choice and, although I hunt M, I would suggest that he go into Y because there is much more public land for a first timer along the whole west side of the Region with NF in the north and lots of BLM down to the west and southwest of Kaycee. With all that said, if the OP just plans on an early season archery hunt for a decent buck, I would go in and modify my application making Region H my first choice and forget the others. 2 PPs in the regular PP draw will get a Region H tag and should provide a great high country archery hunt even though the deer got hit with that bad winter a year ago. I assume you are aware that if you want to hunt the special archery season that a NR has to pay $30 for the permit to do that, as well as the $12.50 Conservation Stamp that everyone must have besides the tag itself.

This is all very good advice. I really appreciate all the help. After realizing that I don't have a chance to draw my second choice, I ended up pulling my application and I'll just buy points in the summer. I am not wanting to burn my 2 points yet so i'm gonna hold out. thanks again for the advice guys! huge help.

In case you change your mind and want to hunt this Fall, I hope you're aware that you can buy any leftover tag that becomes available in July, as well as buy your 3rd PP between 7/1-9/30! Good luck on whatever you decide.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom