region h drawing odds

F

flatlander51

I've been hearing alot about tags being cut in region h. I applied for h with 1 point do you think I should still have a good chance. How substantial I'd this tag cut?

FLAT...look straight up from this forum and see the Draw Odds, well just click on that and fill in the blanks. YOU should according to it, but anything can happen.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

G was cut to 600 nonresidents.

A good start! Hope we limit the residents in the year to come. At least limit them ALL until we get a handle on our plummeting deer numbers and dropping quality+quantity of bucks...

20 years of deer decline... The management of the Game and Fish has no clue why or what to do...

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

The Game and Fish probably figure it's a whole lot easier to listen to several hundred non-residents complaining from afar, than listen to several hundred of their own complaining from within.

That or maybe they're going to raise the resident license fees to make up the difference in monies lost................

The reason nonresident tags were cut is because the bucks are being pounded so hard that the hunt quality is poor in the opinion of many hunters . Nonresident hunters kill nearly as many deer as residents in many areas and their success ratio is twice as high, name another state where that is the case?

Going to a total limited quota system would be great in my opinion, and giving out around 10% of tags to nonresidents would be perfect, but thats not the way the politics of change works in the real world, so a small cut in the generous quota of nonresident deer tags is welcome for this year.

Piper I've seen the success rates, so I agree with you but why are NR killing more bucks? What percentage are guided?

Could it be that the G&F kill numbers aren't correct in that maybe the NRs are sending in their kill coupons and the residents aren't doing a very job of turning them in? Could it be that NRs shoot anything before they quit hunting because the tags cost so much more and they think they have to take something home to justify the money spent? Whatever it is, it's obviously easier to cut NR tags than to mess with resident general season tags.

Robb---I would think that the final rules & reg's should be posted this week on the G&F website, as they were finalized last year on 4/27/11 and were up on the site within a few days.

>I've seen the success rates,
>>but why are NR killing
>more bucks? What percentage are
>guided?

If its anything over there like it is around here, it's because many non residents come up and hunt for a lengthy period of time whereas a lot of residents give it a couple of weekends and quit if they can't find a big one. I've heard it discussed by wardens around here and experienced it first hand that a lot of non rezi's refuse to go home empty. They spent their vacation time, a lot of money on a tag and the hunt and they're going to bust a fork horn towards the end of the hunt if they have to, to fill a tag. Not to hard to figure out...

I think nonresidents kill more immature bucks then residents
simply because most of us are there for one week to hunt and then we're done. For another year or two. so alot of us settle for a lesser Buck or don't come from big Buck country. So a 140" is a trophy to them. Either way most nonresidents find it hard to go home empty handed. So I do believe this is a good start. Now 200 bucks will get a year older.

Why can't hunters have enough self control to not shoot the small bucks?? We could have better hunting all around if we all started filling the freezer with cow elk,,, expensive tag or not. Or better yet, if you feel the need to drop the hammer on a buck, shoot one of those 6 year old 3 by 3's. Hell shoot him from 900 yards if you need too.

Always amazes me seeing all the 2 1/2 year old bucks hanging in the nonresident camps.

LAST EDITED ON May-03-12 AT 10:18PM (MST)[p]wolfhunter---I have to basically agree with you on that NR statement. I've shot three nice bucks in the last 6 seasons (2006, 2008, and 2011). The other three seasons I passed on so many small bucks I couldn;'t count them in hopes they would get bigger. I don't believe I saw one buck as good as the three I shot on poles in the RV campground in all the times I went in there for a shower or ice. It just seems that many guys just shoot whatever they see even on the first day. I don't know whether it's because they hunt whitetails back east where most of the license plates are from and think the mulies they shot are good or what. It really baffles me. I hunt for the fun of it and shooting a nice buck is icing on the cake. If I don't shoot one it's no big deal, and I take home one or two doe antelope for the freezer instead.

I do the same thing as TOPGUN .Only interested in shooting big deer and pass on the little guys.A doe antelope for the freezer is good.
Three years ago I was hunting the area south of Casper.Scouted for a couple days before season and saw these two small fork horns several times.I drove out by a camp on the first afternoon of season and yep,those two small fork horns were hanging on there side of the truck camper.

I've been saying the same thing for years. You'll never have big bucks if u don't let em grow old. But we keep killing em and then b!+#* that there are know big bucks. I don't get it! @ least that's how it is in Maryland.

Maybe instead of relying on the game managers to manage properly all so call mule deer trophy hunters should make a commitment to themselves and to the mule deer resource, "GO BIG OR GO HOME"....

wolfhunter---That would probably be a good philosophy, but I don't think there are that many guys that are truly trophy hunters because many pop a small one on the last day or two of their hunt even when they could take a doe on an either sex tag in an area that can support doe hunting.

270WE---What did I ever do to you for you to keep coming up with your smatazz little ditties? If you can't make any positive comments or try to help people, why the hell not just read or go somewhere else and shut up with the wisecracks!!! If you haven't figured it out yet, and you apparently haven't, nothing you post is going to keep me from posting whatever I feel like and that's whether you like it or not!

Im the same with being selective with size on harvesting an animal. Wish more would be like that. However, I really dont blame resident or nonresident for shooting a legal animal. Trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Dont you think keeping nonresidents out of the wilderness areas has a bigger impact than nonresidents "wanting" to shoot a forkie? Unfortunately there really aren't many, if any, older class bucks out of the wilderness areas in September

How tough would it be to simply make some non-ressy/ressy Type 9 only G/H deer tags?

Cut out some from the rifle season non-ressy tag pool for the non-ressy Type 9 G/H tags.

Anyone have any of the Outfitter input on these cuts or/and idea's?

Robb

WOLFHUNTER IS RIGHT,

IT'S A CHOICE WE AS HUNTERS HAVE TO NOT SHOOT THE YEARLING

BUCK OR THE ANTLERLESS WHEN WE KNOW THAT THE HERD IS IN DECLINE.

WE DO NOT NEED THE REGS CHANGED TO ALTER THIS BEHAVIOR.

THE HARDEST THING TO DO IS GET EVERYONE WHO IS HUNTING, TO GET ON BOARD WITH THE ( NEW PLAN )

STOP HARVESTING THE YEARLING BUCKS AND THE ANTLERLESS

Best thing for H and G would to be to shut them down for a couple of years then re-start with lower number of tags for residents and Non-residents.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Always amazes me seeing all the 2 1/2 year old bucks hanging in the nonresident camps.

and i guess residents only kill 180+ deer,what a crock,how many residents shoot there wifes buck,grandpas buck etc.....

bern,

Residents might not average 180 but the majority would break 170 dam sure....

Enlighten yourself next time you are in region G and spend the day at the check station. You might be shocked how many bucks are killed that are 2 1/2 years old THEY MIGHT BE 180'S TOO!. I am.... The NR usually hunts for Popeye for a day or two then when they get discouraged they hammer a 2 1/2 year old with huge genetics. If they would have let him grow for the next time they drew the tag he would exceed 180 or even 190 OR EVEN 200!!....

IT IS SIMPLE YOU CAN NOT GROW MONSTER BUCKS PLOWING THE YOUNGSTERS!!!

IF YOU WANT PROOF LOOK AT THE PHOTO GALLERIES ON THIS SITE 5 NR HUNTERS GO TO REGION G.... KILL ONE GOOD BUCK AND THE REST FILL THERE TAG ON 2 1/2 YEAR OLD BUCKS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME!!!!!!

I like the idea of having a one year waiting sanction for taking a deer. You want to hunt every year, no problem, just don't shoot a deer. You find one big enough you can't resist, great, but you will have to go somewhere else next year. It would eliminate taking one the last day just because. You could maybe throw in an exception for 18 and under. I know this would be hard to regulate and there would have to be some serious work done at the check stations, but seems simple and easy to me and I would bet you would see a decline in the amount of smaller bucks harvested and the number of people on the mountain. I would give up a year if I found the right buck.

SO IS THAT TRUE FOR EVERY RESIDENT IN ALL STATES. BEER CAN TRAIL TO THE BIG BUCKS. ARE THERE SEVERAL OF THESE TRAILS , BECAUSE I HAVE HUNTED IN DIFF STATES INCLUDING WYOMING AND HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE OF THESE BEER CAN TRAILS. SHOW ME THE TRAIL TO THE BIG BUCKS

If you hunt outside of the campground, you won't see the beer cans.lol

Maybe that is why some think there are no deer. Go where no one is going to want to tote a six pack of anything. I find fire rings in the remotest places, but I don't find much in the way of trash once serious elevation becomes a factor.

MULEY204 and wolfhunter have the right idea.Unfortunately,getting everyone else on board to NOT kill the 2-yr olds would be pretty tough.Most of the hunters I know here in Wyoming won't kill an immature buck;even late in the season.I went on the mortality count in the Cokeville area Saturday(near Nugget Canyon).Those deer come from many different areas.Some from the Wyoming Range,some from Salt River Range,some from other areas.They had one collared doe that came all the way from the north end of Grey's River road.Why she just didn't winter there is one of the great mysteries of mule deer.On a good note,though,winter mortality seems to be very low this year.Our group only found 2 dead from this winter.Next mortality count is this Saturday near Leroy.Volunteers are welcome to participate.Bring your family and your dog!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom