Region G Special

RoadlessHunter

LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-12 AT 08:33PM (MST)[p]I hunted Region G twice in the last two years. I was wondering due to winter kill and lack of deer who will still put in for the special draw. I think I will just because I love the greys river country. I questions is do you think less people will put in next year.

Between 2010 and 2011 deer hunt we seen 70% less bucks in the area we hunt. I passed on a 30 incher second day in 2011 and regreted it the rest of the hunt. He has short point but was tall. His points were 8 inches give or take. Then on the last trip to the high country I was hesitant on a 180inch 27 inch wide four point. I found him in the open at 100 yards by the time i relized it was the buck I had seen the night befor at 35 yards it was to late to shoot. When I seen him at 35 yards he was running in the pines and I couldn't get a shot.

Well I hope me or my dad can draw this year so we can go get him. He has a unick hidding spot. We first found him in 2010 he was tall and about 24" wide. We let him go and this year he was impressive. Can't wait to see what he looks like this year.

Sounds like you've got a good picture of the situation. Thus far, it has been a mild winter. Both significantly less moisture and much warmer than average temperatures. As such the deer are probably doing better than average for mid February.

We are likely to have some big storms in March and I believe a lot of winter kill is the result of the early spring storms in late March and early April. Time will tell. If the rest of the winter continues mild, then we should see a few more maturing bucks this fall.

I live in G and there is something to be said to just hunt in this kind of country! Resident or non-resident, it is a privilege.

With all of the doom and gloom stories of late, I would guess that less people will apply for a tag. We hunted it last year and did see less bucks. But still had an awesome time. We try to hunt it every other year. I hope to be there again in 2013. It's a special place to hunt. Beautiful, tough country!

Don P

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom