Region D- 3 point or better?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
We applied tonight for our tags in WY and noticed region D deer tags are good for only 3 point or better bucks (mule deer). Did they do this so less deer are harvested or to try to improve the age of the deer in D? What was their main objective. We've been hunting D for 23 years and this is the first time this regulation has come into play. Thanks.

M'Balz Es Hari

I think all of the above. The deer are in rough shape, so they're implementing point restrictions in addtion to adding more limited quota areas and shortening seasons.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-13 AT 08:54AM (MST)[p]In case you didn't look closely at the season dates for the entire state, most of the units in Region E and a number of other units here and there this year also have that restiction.

I noticed that TOPGUN.....I think it is a good idea as the quality of deer, at least in the area we hunt, if not good. Over the past 4 years, we see less and less deer. Last year, my Dad shot the first buck he saw because some friends had been scouting 2 days prior to my Dads arrival and they hadn't seen one buck....in 2 days! This will be my sons first time going with us that he'll be behind the rifle (he's 12 now). It'll be a good lesson for him to really take a good look at the buck in his scope. Making sure he is legal and having patience prior to just pulling the trigger will be good for him. Lookin' forward to it.

I might spend some time looking for a whitetail.

M'Balz Es Hari

The rule is just going to protect the 2 points. Little bucks will still be hitting the ground. I understand the pressure to kill a buck if you're a nonresident, but region D is not the place to go right now for a mature buck.

I hear ya HiMtnHntr and have to agree that it seems that the bulk of NRs just have to shoot something. I see that all the time in the RV Park where we take a shower every few days. You hardly ever see a buck worth looking at that's hanging on the buck poles. It's all fawns, small does, and bucks that would take ten of to total 200".

> It's all fawns, small
>does, and bucks that would
>take ten of to total
>200".

That's some funny (and true) stuff right there!

Zeke

they use to do it up in the bighorns. one side of the road was any deer while the other was 3 points or better on one side. tell you what that area had some nice deer running around when it was in effect

I hear your gripe about NR's shooting smaller, juvenile bucks. I do and the reason is so that I have meat in my freezer. I am not a trophy hunter, however, if on the second to last day of my hunt, I haven't seen anything that peaked my interest, I'll fill my tag. I hope that the 3 point or better regulation helps things out. I like to shoot bigger deer as much as the next guy but I eat the meat and I don't like to come home without food.

M'Balz Es Hari

Six areas in D are now limited quota. Not sure about the rest. But the reasons listed are correct. I'm hoping it helps the hunting.

And Steve, I can't really argue with you, but when I want meat, I shoot vermin. By vermin, I mean cow elk and whitetail does. We can shoot those cows till the end of January, as I'm sure you know. Got mine Jan 27th this year and it made for a fun, long seasoln and lots of getting out. You can also shoot several antelope does, but not late like that. I'm in favor of saving as many mule deer as possible. Kill as many elk, whitetails and lions as possible. All are detrimental to muleys.

ICM- point well taken. Maybe I should think about shooting a whitetail doe if I don't see any mule deer worth taking. I need to check to see if the tag is good for any whitetail. I don't think it is good for a doe mule deer, is it? As far as goats go, we've been buying the doe/fawn tags because I've shot my share of buck antelope and I don't need any more 12-13" horns hung up in my garage. :) The last couple of years we've noticed a huge drop off in goat numbers as well. Good luck in the draw to you guys.

M'Balz Es Hari

Wiszard---Yes, your region D tag will be good for any whitetail deer if you don't see a buck with 3 or better on at least one side. Like ICM stated, there are 6 LQ units in D this year. Your region tag will be good for 66, 70, 74, 75, 76, and 77. There are two different opening dates for those various units, so guys will need to make sure they know what the dates are for each unit they hunt or they could get nailed for hunting out of season or poaching even if they shot a 3 pointer on one side if the unit isn't open. If I were you, I 'd shoot a whitetail doe or buck if you can't find a decent mulie. The meat is as good or better IMHO than mulies in case you've never shot one before, especially the does.

>I hear your gripe about NR's
>shooting smaller, juvenile bucks. I
>do and the reason is
>so that I have meat
>in my freezer. I am
>not a trophy hunter, however,
>if on the second to
>last day of my hunt,
>I haven't seen anything that
>peaked my interest, I'll fill
>my tag. I hope that
>the 3 point or better
>regulation helps things out. I
>like to shoot bigger deer
>as much as the next
>guy but I eat the
>meat and I don't like
>to come home without food.
>
>
> LOOK INTO EXTRA DOE TAGS. I TROPHY HUNT FOR BIG WHITETAILS AND LET THE LITTLE ONES GROW AND I GET 4 EXTRA DOE TAGS FOR MEAT AND TO BALANCE THE DEER HERD OUT.

The area we hunt is in area 70 so our season is only like a week long. We made the mistake two years ago and decided to go out several days later than normal without knowing area 70 was only a week or so. We really limited our hunt as we only had 2 days to hunt for deer.
It's a fine line between buying a $320 buck tag and not seeing one to shoot compared to only spending $60 for the doe tags. My luck would be if I only had a doe tag, I'd see lot of BIG deer!

M'Balz Es Hari

ICMDEER IS 100% CORRECT ....

IF WE COULD PASS ON THE ANTLERLESS AND THE YEARLING MULE DEER BUCKS FOR A FEW YEARS, WE MIGHT GET THE POPULATION OF MULE DEER BACK UP TO A MORE HEALTHY NUMBER AND INCREASE THE AGE OF THE BUCKS ...

WE NEED EVERY BREEDING FEMALE WE CAN GET IN MOST UNITS .

I THINK IDAHO MIGHT NEED THEM IN EVERY UNIT.....

KEEP BEATING THE DRUM

Hopefully it will help the muleys get their numbers up. I went last in 2008 on a DIY hunt and saw few deer but did bag a nice 4x5. Plan on taking my kids up in a year or two now that they are old enough for a combo hunt. The buck I killed had Great genetics.

From what I saw the last trip to Wyoming,they should not issue any mule deer doe tags in any unit.Public land or private.
If you want meat shoot whitetail does.
I am far from being a biologist,but I do know if you want to rebuild a herd,you can't shoot the breeding does.

I agree about not shooting mule deer does.

Landownwers have pretty good sway with the G&F. The G&F primarily issues tags in many areas based on what landowners desire since they own lots of the land in the areas and in many cases most of the land. If the deer aren't part of their economic gain then they're just a thorn in their side and the G&F listens to their complaints.

We have the same thing here in Michigan with the whitetails and some farmers. One deer on there farm is one to many.Makes it diffacult to manage a herd .

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom