Region B Deer

B

Bodhi

I posted last year about region B deer hunting. a few post indicated numbers were down. It was our first trip out and unguided. We hunted a private ranch and saw some deer. It was 90 degrees the entire week and we still took two 4x4's and four antelope so it was a good trip. Just wanted to see how others faired hunting easter (region B)wyoming.

B

We hunted a couple Walk In Areas two years ago and found plenty of deer and antelope to hunt,no monsters but respectble animals.A friend of mine went to the same units this last fall and never saw an animal.

It was so dry and hot last year, I'm sure the animals were concentrated on water sources. The ranch we hunted, we only say deer towards the creek that ran through the property.

I heard it's been a dry fall and winter out there this year too.

Don't be so sure of that because deer don't need to water daily like antelope and elk do. It is normal for them to be closer to water sources if there are any though because there is also usally better cover for them in those areas.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-12 AT 01:08PM (MST)[p]I am looking into a whitetail hunt in region B. I have heard the muledeer are down but the whitetails are doing fine.Most of the whitetail are on private but tresspass fees are very reasonable there.

It's really too bad that mulies aren't as adaptable to living almost anywhere like whitetails are. It seems like the only thing that knocks whitetails for a loop is EHD and they really took a hit up in Montana and the Dakotas last year from it.

Yeah, we did see some whitetails on our trip. Not that many though. Most of the ranchers we talked to wanted them out of there. We did see two decent bucks (120" or so). For me, It's hard to pull the trigger on a whitetail when you have muleys running around.

BuzzH made an interesting point in another thread and that is that the whitetails aren't being hunted nearly as much as they should be compared to mulies. His thought was that if you don't see a good mulie and your tag allows either species that it would be best to take a WT toward the end of the season, rather than just fill the tag with an immature mulie. I think that's a very good viewpoint and would agree 100% with that if you're hunting an area that holds both.

That's exactly what we thought too. The last two days of our trip we were actually looking for those whitetails. We saw them on the first day and never saw them again. I love the meat so I would have taken one towards the end of the trip without a doubt.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom