Refinishing rifle stock question.

2lumpy

Long Time Member
ÏI picked up an old Remington 550-P .22 rifle at a pawn shop back in February. I spent April, May and June searching out and purchasing numerous missing parts for it. I actually had to buy the pep sight from 4 different people. All together, I had to buy from 7 different individuals, to get all the missing bits and pieces. So with the exception of one more screw for the front sight, I have all the parts. Now it's time to clean up the stock. I’m not worried about ruining the original finish because I will never sell it. It will go to a grand child someday, so I just want to clean it up……. It’s a gooey mess, as you can see.

I used a good citric paint remover to removed the sticky varnish. Washed it down with paint remove cleaner and followed that with a light wash of acetone. Sanded most of the dings and scratches out with 180 grit sandpaper. It cleaned up fairly well, with a few deep dings that I will sweat out with a steam iron and a wet wash cloth. It will end up having the grain raised with a damp cloth, dried and lightly sanded with a 1500 sandpaper.

Here’s my question, In did the original sanding with 180 grit, then when over with 220 grit. Came clean and looked pretty good. I set it on my table saw bed, in my uninsulated shop, it’s get well over a 100 degrees in there during the day. I got busy and it set there for an about a week…… I got back to today. As you can see, old oil that has soaked into the walnut over the last 75-80 years, has leached to the surface of the walnut around where the previous owner most likely used oil to lubricate the action parts of the rifle.

I want to pull as much of that old oil back out of the stock before I put a new finish on it. I’m expecting it will take numerous treatments to draw all of it out.

I’ve watch numerous YouTube videos on various different methods and chemicals to apply to accomplish the task but I’m a simple guy, certainly not a chemist nor a proficient gun refinisher. I’m pretty much simplistic and I’m hoping someone here on the Campfire has a reasonably simple solution you would be willing to share.

Thank you for any suggestions.

IMG_6265.jpeg
IMG_6264.jpeg
IMG_6297.jpeg
IMG_6296.jpeg
IMG_6295.jpeg
IMG_6317.jpeg
IMG_6319.jpeg
IMG_6318.jpeg

A pretty interesting project you've tackled 2Lumpy. It seems to me you have a couple of options going forward. It looks like the original finish had a semi gloss or gloss finish. Is that what you're aiming for? You could put a shade of walnut stain on the bare wood to help blend the bleeding oil from standing out. Then a coat of sealer, then a couple coats of gloss or semi gloss finish.
Or you could put a hand rubbed oil finish (like linseed oil) on the bare wood. (the more coats you put on the "deeper" it looks.) That might blend in well with the oil stains you mentioned.

If you want the glossy look, you need to either spray lacquer or use a brushing lacquer like Deft and lightly sand between coats, (like 320 grit.)

I'm not up on all the latest products out there so you might run across something better. It's hard to keep up with all that since I got out of the cabinet making.

I hope it's a good shooter and worth all the effort you're putting into it. Good grandpa!

I did a 550 I have with just linseed oil.......heated and rubbed it in several times with a clothe

I prefer the matt finish....

Thanks eel. I am going to use either linseed oil or tru oil, for a finish.

I think I’ll try mixing calcium carbonate (whiting compound) with acetone, coat the walnut with it and see if that will pull the oil out, after a few applications. I hope.

In the long run…….. I’ll always be a rank
amature, with regards to these kinds of projects, so if I screw it up, it’s not going to be a big deal. I have seen many of these old Remington 550 stocks for sale on eBay and else where. They are a heck of a lot cheaper than I had to spend piecing together that funky little peep sight.

I do appreciate your suggestions, for sure. I’ll send you a picture…….. if I ever get it put back together.

Nice Jeff. Actually, quite similar grain pattern on my stock as well. I circled that little place in red. Mine has a spot like that too but it looked like a little piece of wood of right there.

I actually really like this little old timer, it comes up to my shoulder really nice and holds steady. Shoots very accurately as well. I’m really glad I found it and hope I can bring it back to life soon.

Thanks for sharing

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom