Refinishing a rifle stock...?

H

highcountry

Hey guys, i am thinking of refinishing the stock on my rifle. It was my grandpa's gun, then passed on to my dad, now to me. Just something way cool to keep and use. (i still hunt with it.) Is there a certain type of stain or finish that anyone has found to work best? put a clear coat on top like laquer finish? Thanks for any tips. I will post some before and after pictures when i acctually get it done.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-09 AT 10:29AM (MST)[p]HC, I refinished a shotgun years ago (read young and dumb), just used any stain I had laying a then polyurethane. It looks good but I wouldn't recommend it. Ithe wood needs to breath, especially a gun that is used out in the environment, wet/dry/cold/hot. The poly prevents this.

A friend of mine refinished an old Mauser and after hours of sanding/wetting/sanding to lift the grain he applied many, many light coats of tongue oil. It looked like a piece of art when he was done.

So that's my non-professional opinion.

Type of finish is a personal preference.

First of all I would make sure I actually want to do it. If the gun has any collector value, you could lower its value by refinishing it.

If you do it, I prefer a dull finish on a stock that is used for hunting as opposed to a high gloss relective type.

Good luck with the project.

I totally agree with edelbrock. Thin light coats of tongue oil is the only way to go. My boss does his that way and they came out beautiful. It takes a little time but is totally worth it.

>Don't do it. You WILL regret
>it some day. Everyone of
>those scratches and dings has
>a story.

+1

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

The dings and scratches only have stories if you KNOW where, when and such. Otherwise, I believe in finishing and agree with the oil finish.

I've finished/refinished guns several times; would not hesitate to do it again. I've no regrets about repairing the dings and scratches in the gun...even though a couple of those scratches match small scars on my shins and a set of antlers on the wall....LOVE pretty rifles.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-09 AT 01:10PM (MST)[p]Since you did not mention what make and model of rifle, I would do some checking to make sure it does not have great collector value such as a pre-64 model 70 Winchester that is all original.

If it's value is just as a shooter, you can refinish it if you want to go that way. As for the finish result, that is going to lie with you and how you go about doing the finish work.

#1 do not get in a hurry. Plan to make it a winter job that will take you a month or more doing it in stages.

#2 Remove all metal, leave the butt pad on so you can sand it flush with the wood for a good finish fit. If it has checkering, you may elect to sand around the checking unless you know how or have someone that can recut the checkering.

#3 Remove the old finish. You may be able to use paint stripper, or you can elect to sand the old finish off with 220 grit. Once the old finish is off, check the wood for any dents, most old stocks will have them from use in the field.

#4 If there is dent, where the wood has been compressed down, not a cut or gouge. heat a screwdriver tip that is wide enought to cover the dent to about 400 degrees. Place a moist cotton cloth on the dent and press the hot screw driver flat to it. this will steam out the dent and cause the wood fibers to raise. You may have to do this several times to level the wood.

#5 Sand the stock with 220 or 320 grit paper using a sanding block and you can sand down any small scratches in the wood. Repeat the sanding using finer grits down to a 400 grit. Pay close attention to curves and recesses that you find around the cheek pad and grip. You can fold your sanding paper and use your fingers to sand these curves. How well you do the sanding job will make all the difference in the world how well the stock turns out. Do not take any shortcuts or go to fast. You can not replace the wood if you sand too much off. Try to follow the original contours of the stock as close as possible.

#6 Straight tung oil or linseed takes to long to dry between coats. Do not use it unless you want to spend the intire winter doing the job. Buy a bottle of Tru-oil or Lin-speed oil. It has the oil in it with drying agents to speed up the drying.

#7. Apply the first 2-3 coats with your fingers and put it on heavy. It will soak into the stock. after it fully drys, may take several days in the winter time. sand it down flush with the wood. do not sand any further, you are only trying to level the surface of the oil finish with the upper surface of the wood. this fills all the wood pores. Use 400 grit wet-dry sanding paper to do this and soak the paper in water prior to sanding. Wipe off the wet sanding mess. Hold the stock up to a strong light. If you see little bright spots, like little diamonds glittering, you have not fully finished filling the wood pores. Put several more coats of tru-oil on and repeat this step again until all pores are filled. This is very light wet sanding to level the surface, you are not trying to remove more wood at this stage.

#8 Now you will put on the finish coats of oil.takes 3-4 coats. Use your fingers to apply very smallamounts of oil and rubbed it in with you finger tips until you feel your fingers dragging with friction. Work small areas of the stock until you have applied the oil to the complete stock. There should be no runs at this stage.
allow each coat to fully dry for 48 hours or more. You can hang the stock near a water heater to aid the drying in the winter months. Leaving it in a unheated garage will take far longer to dry.

#9 After the 3-4 finish coats have been applied, you should have a finished stock with no runs or uneven surface and the intire surface will shine from the dried oil finish. If you have any dull spots, where the wood soaked up the oil, apply more coats to these spots untill it matches the shiny surface of the intire stock.

#10 You can leave the surface shiny or you can use a fine wood rubbing compound to leave a satin finish to the stock. You can purchase the compound from Brownells and it comes in several finish grades. Do not use automotive paint rubbing compound, it is too course. Apply several coats of a good wood paste wax and buff with a soft cotton cloth. When you are apply the heavy coats of oil in step #7, apply several coats to the inside of the barrel channel and receiver area to water proof these areas. and allow it to soak in. Most factory stocks have very poor sealing of these areas. No need to sand those areas.

Now do you really want to tackle this job and do it right?

I have seen first timers do a outstanding job on a rifle stock, and I have seen some that the stock needs to be thown away and burned.

RELH

exellent instuctions!

good topic,
i have done a few with basically the same method,
but i used the birchwood casey finish kit, comes in 3 bottles and you rub till your fingers bleed, but it does a nice old style finish that looks great

you can but it anywhere gun stuff is sold

one question i have for RELH.
how do you value a pre 64 win 70?
my PRIZED possession is my grandfathers pre 64 win 70. it is a .270 SN# is in the very low 400000's
still has iron sights, steel buttplate, and miles of wear from the scabbard on horseback, as far as i can tell it is 99% original the only thing added was a scope, way back who knows how long ago, it is an old burris 2-7.

i know i shouldn't and i have many other rifles , but i find myself packing it every rifle hunt, it shoots 1 " groups still.

sentimental i guess, but i think of him every time i see it.
it is priceless to me. but since you brought it up, i thought i'd ask.

live life one mule deer at a time.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-09 AT 00:56AM (MST)[p]Sounds like you have a pre-64 standard grade model 70. It's value should be $700.00 plus.If it was one of the more rare calibers, price value would jump big time.

Now you know why it was called the "Rifleman's rifle", it was noted for outstanding accuracy over other factory rifles before they got barrel making down to a science with CNC controlled machinery.
I can understand you using it, just as my son uses his Grandfathers Weatherbys. Your Grandfather would want it that way. Just take good care of it.

RELH

RELH, great post. I've been wanting to refinish a wood stock before but couldn't find enough info.

Thanks again.

Joe E Sikora

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-09 AT 09:58AM (MST)[p]after sanding and staining use Tung Oil hand rib it on then use steel wool on it and then hand rub more tounge oil on it... do about 10 to 12 coats...its takes alot of time but it will be a tough finish! let it dry 12 hours between coats.

>one question i have for RELH.
>
>how do you value a pre
>64 win 70?
>my PRIZED possession is my grandfathers
>pre 64 win 70. it
>is a .270 SN# is
>in the very low 400000's
>
>still has iron sights, steel buttplate,
>and miles of wear from
>the scabbard on horseback, as
>far as i can tell
>it is 99% original the
>only thing added was a
>scope, way back who knows
>how long ago, it is
>an old burris 2-7.
>
>i know i shouldn't and i
>have many other rifles ,
>but i find myself packing
>it every rifle hunt, it
>shoots 1 " groups still.
>
>
>sentimental i guess, but i think
>of him every time i
>see it.
>it is priceless to me. but
>since you brought it up,
>i thought i'd ask.

Hard to say exactly what the rifle is worth as there are so many factors but given the serial number range I can tell you that it was built around 1957 - 1958. pm me the exact number and I can tell you specifically what year.
I collect model 70's and I have the same one my dad bought me when I was 12 and it's a .270 also. I have others some I will never shoot that are still in the original boxes unfired, original hang tags, sales receipts, etc.. but as you might have guessed I love model 70's and I will never hunt with anything other than my old reliable .270.
I agree you are correct when you say it's priceless and having the rifle your grandfather hunted makes it a family heirloom. I have my dads model 70 and will pass it along to one of my grandsons along with mine someday.

Jim

I have my dad's Pre-64 Model 70 in a 264 with a serial # that starts with 482XXX. I think I researched it once and found that it was made in 1960, but that may have been the Remington 264 that I purchased used many years ago.

Always though my dad purchased it in the late 50's, but the serial # will tell the truth. My dad did not use it much so it may have a couple hundred rounds through it, but that is probably a high estimate. I think it has an old 4X Weaver scope with a horizontal hair line and a long post as a retical. He killed five deer with it and I took my first with it. Will shoot it sparingly or not at all in the future and will pass it on to my daughter when I am too old to hunt.

It was one of the few things my dad bought for himself and he always prized it. He is too old to join me on my hunts now so he just gave it to me to hang on to.

In its day you could hit a quarter at 100yds. I am sure it could still do it, but it would take some sighting in work.

264X300

>>Don't do it. You WILL regret
>>it some day. Everyone of
>>those scratches and dings has
>>a story.
>
>
>+1
>
>
horsepoop.gif

>
>Disclaimer:
>The poster does not take any
>responsibility for any hurt or
>bad feelings. Reading threads poses
>inherent risks. The poster would
>like to remind readers to
>make sure they have a
>functional sense of humor before
>they visit any discussion board.
>

+1 very true

OK I have my grandfathers 30-30 in my safe. If you want it to be a shooter then go ahead and refinish it. However in my case it is more sentimentale to keep it in it's original state. I would fork out the dooooough for a new one. Ya Roy I missssplelled LOL.

>70
>
>I have my dad's Pre-64 Model
>70 in a 264 with
>a serial # that starts
>with 482XXX. I think
>I researched it once and
>found that it was made
>in 1960, but that may
>have been the Remington 264
>that I purchased used many
>years ago.

That's ironic, My dad's rifle is also a 264. It's the Westerner with the 26" barrel and they really shoot well. I believe the 264's were made from about 1959 - 1963 and it's a heck of a caliber as you know. My dad only had a couple of rifles all his life a Remington model 721 .300 H&H, Win model 70 30-06 and his last rifle (264) he bought new around 1960 that he used till he died and that rifle put a lot of deer in the dirt as well as a few elk.

Jim

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom