Redwood won't Die

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I have about 75 Redwood trees on my property. A few are about 6' diameter, maybe 150' tall. There is one small group below the house that kind of got away from me the past few years. I didn't want to fell them because of the mess to clean up. I'm getting old, you know.:)

I decided to just kill them and let them turn into snags for the woodpeckers. About a year ago I took the bark off all the way around each tree (I think there is 4 of them). Then I took the chainsaw and ringed each tree all the way around about 1/2 to 1" deep. See photo.

6286wontdie_002.jpg

I've been keeping an eye on them for almost a year waiting for them to turn brown and die. NOTHING!

I took this photo the other day. They look pretty happy to me. They gained about 5' in height over last summer. I'm at a loss and I'm not real happy about it. x( I guess I'll have to cut them down.

1635wontdie_001.jpg

I'll be glad to trade you for my oak tree, it's good for sap on my vehicles and my house and I get to pick up all the leaves for three months, it's being chopped down next month.

DW before the building boom went bust, it was easy to get small logging outfits to come in and cut down your trees and you get to put a little cash in your pocket.

Since the bust, you play hell giving away redwood, pine, cedar, or douglas fir trees. Most of those small logging outfits went under also.

RELH

Don't tell me they Ain't Valuable!

I had to buy some Redwood Heart from Mature Redwood Trees for a USFS Job!

Two things I don't like about Redwood Heart!

The Price!

And the FRICKEN Weight!

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

EEL...where you did that "ring job" drive some COPPER RODS" in that grove and leave them there. In due time the tree will die.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Bess, look at the positive side. That redwood heart will last almost forever. The ranch house at the farm is a older Victorian home completely made out of redwood. Even the rain gutters are solid redwood and still in great shape and working after 120 years.

The septic tank is redwood heart and still working after 120 years.

Now you know why it is so damn expensive.

RELH

264mag, all those trees too close to the house are no good.

Yeah elkassassin, the heartwood is all water and very heavy. Green chain pullers hate to see it. That could be why these trees are hanging on so long, they have a lot of reserve.

They have to die. Don't they? What tree can live with no bark?

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Steve, in my experience to make them die, all you needed to do was work the ground, tend to any weeds around the tree a bit and then water it when you figure it could use a drink. Won't last 6 months! :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>EEL...where you did that "ring job"
>drive some COPPER RODS" in
>that grove and leave them
>there. In due time
>the tree will die.
>
>Brian
>http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Negative. Tweakers would just steal the copper.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>What kind of thread is this???
>MM is about sex abuse
>and degradation of those weaker.
>Just sayin...
>
>
>
>
>
2311idiot.jpg

Let me see if I can help. Eel, how many wooden packers do you suppose you could make out of a tree that size?

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Doesn't seem like to many years back(25 or so!:D)Redwood Lumber was Red in color!

Now the Redwood we see is Mostly a White in Color & cut out of New Growth/PISSCUTTER Trees!

Total F'N JUNK!

I told Our Local Hardware Store He didn't have a Redwood 2X6 in the place I'd Haul off even if He gave them to me,they're that bad!

Another deal is this:

If they see you Hi-Grading/Picking Lumber You'll surely get your Ass Chewed for that!:D

Most modern day people never Herd of or are too young to know what Kiln Dried was/is!

This new modern day Lumber is JUNK!

And RELH!

I've seen some 'Old' Redwood Septic Tanks!

Never seen any of them around here I figured was a 120 years old though!

That Good Old Redwood sure will last forever though

We dug up an Old Cistern that was probably 70-80 ears old & that wood was even heaver than Heart & Blacker than Obama!

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

Back in the early 1960's my father-in-law did some logging for a guy who owned a big chunk of land in the Redwoods. It had been logged before so most of the old growth was gone. There was one tree that the old timers left because it was in a bad spot and had a dead top. My father-in-law fell it and the entire tree was curly grain. The owner had it hauled down to the sawmill, had it all cut up into lumber, and then hauled the lumber up to an old barn to air dry. About 1970 my father-in-law talked him out of a few boards and I built him a gun cabinet. One of his relatives got it when he died. To this day I wonder whatever happened to all that curly old growth lumber. It would be worth a mint.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

>Steve, in my experience to make
>them die, all you needed
>to do was work the
>ground, tend to any weeds
>around the tree a bit
>and then water it when
>you figure it could use
>a drink. Won't last 6
>months! :)
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

Joey, LOL! I may have to give that a try, as you may be onto something!

Eel

Paint thinner will kill them.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Gator, paint thinner doesn't work. I tried it:)

Roundup sets them back but doesn't kill them.

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Jan-11-15 AT 04:20PM (MST)[p]Spike 80DF. I'm thinkin you won't find it on the shelf at a California home depot!

Eel...go out and find a pole with a copper ground rod and pull it up like the "dopers" do and cut it in pieces and drive them into the trees....they will die for sure.

Another way is dig a small trench around the trees and pour in ROCK SALT and then water it some. Roots don't like the Rock Salt.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

>Eel...go out and find a pole
>with a copper ground rod
>and pull it up like
>the "dopers" do and cut
>it in pieces and drive
>them into the trees....they will
>die for sure.
>
>Another way is dig a small
>trench around the trees and
>pour in ROCK SALT and
>then water it some.
>Roots don't like the Rock
>Salt.
>
>Brian
>http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

I have found, If you want it to live it dies, and if you want it to die if lives forever !!!!

fireball77, I find that especially true with big buck deer. I want one to die, but I guess it will live forever.:)

Eel

I know a guy got caught cutting rings around trees that weren't his. He actually was over on the other side of the hi-way. Neighbor guy who caught him chainsaw handed was pissed because he'd already had discussing about his trees and was of a mind to leave them be, but he didn't file charges. The guy i know said the trees had to go cause they were blocking his lake view!

I stopped going to visit the guy not too long after he told me that one. With him, it was always something like that or worse, always trying to get over on somebody.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Jimmy, please don't be sad, as I have this under complete control:)

Joey, I fell a bunch of trees years ago and afterward my neighbor came over and thanked me for improving his view of the Elk River Valley. I was glad to be a nice neighbor:) They've all pretty much grown back now though.

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom