Redwood Poachers

eelgrass

Long Time Member
Redwood park closes road to deter burl poachers

http://news.yahoo.com/redwood-park-closes-road-deter-burl-poachers-004532497.html

Authorities say unemployment and drug addiction have spurred an increase in the destructive practice of cutting off the knobby growths at the base of ancient redwood trees to make decorative pieces like lacey-grained coffee tables and wall clocks.

The practice ? known as burl poaching ? has become so prevalent along the Northern California coast that Redwood National and State Parks on Saturday started closing the popular Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway at night in a desperate attempt to deter thieves.

Her husband, park district interpretation supervisor Jeff Denny, said it is comparable to poor people poaching rare rhinos in Africa to sell their horns. Jobs are hard to come by since the timber and commercial fishing industries went into decline.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I think you have to kill the Rhino to get the horn. Cutting a burl off a tree generally does little harm unless some idiot does it, which they do. I worked for the company that owned the land before it was confiscated for the park and they let us go in and cut burl. I've cut many truck loads.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"A redwood tree can survive the practice, but the legacy of the organism that could be 1,000 years old is threatened, because the burl is where it sprouts a clone before dying. Sprouting from burls is the prevalent method of redwood propagation,..."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

BS! Only about 1 tree in several hundred has burl worth anything. Redwoods have seed cones like other conifers. I picked Redwood cones to supply nurseries. The only way to kill a Redwood tree is to dig or blow the stump out of the ground. They always sprout from stumps or roots also.

I doubt many drug addicts are doing it. It's too hard of work. That might be what they say when they get caught to get a reduced sentence. They would hock their chainsaws first.

I'm against poaching in the park, but they really don't need to be so melodramatic or tell outright lies. People who don't know believe it.

I don't know Ell, I think I'd rather knock off a 7-11 or pimp myself out at Kate Uptons house.

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

Darn it Eel, I better hurry and get to my redwood burl supplier in Ft. Bragg and buy up his lace burl for my knives since it will be considered a endangered species now. Only in CA.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom