Red Light Camera Tickets

Roy

LAST EDITED ON May-21-13 AT 09:58PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-21-13 AT 09:30?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON May-21-13 AT 09:29?PM (MST)

Attention LEO's - I need your help here. Recently I got a ticket in the mail for allegedly running a red light. I specifically remember the day and consciously making the decision to go through the yellow light as I felt it would be safer to proceed, given my speed (40 MPH - posted speed limit here is exactly that, 40 MPH)and distance to the light than to stop. I thought that in order to stop behind the pedestrian line at the light I would have had to lock my brakes. The camera shows me slightly behind the pedestrian line at 0.29 seconds of red and clearly in the middle of the intersection at around 1.07 seconds of red.

The following video shows the actual light that I have been accused of running. Here is what I am asking you to do, using a stopwatch or other manual timing device to simulate normal reaction time, time the length of this yellow light and tell me your opinion (or just do the math) on this question: Would I have had time to safely stop my vehicle (a 2008 Kia Rio - approximately 2,562 lbs, plus another 350 lbs of me, books, survival supplies etc. - figure a total of 2,900 lbs) behind the pedestrian line if on the day in question I were travelling at the posted speed limit of 40 MPH? (Dry roads and light traffic).

Do I have a valid argument for getting this ticket waived? If so, how should I structure the argument in order to successfully do so?

So far, I have compiled the video, some of the statistics and national recommendations for yellow light timing, and have done the math that supports my argument. I am calling the city tomorrow to inquire about the yellow light timing records for the day in question (if they exist). Is there anything else I might want to include that I can obtain free of charge?

Anyone else have experience or success in getting one of these tickets waived?

Advice?

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

sweet jeezus Roy.....just pay the ticket....you ran it........but check in to government aid if you need to....

LAST EDITED ON May-21-13 AT 09:52PM (MST)[p]That's not the point! The point is I feel it is a trap and unless I start braking on the green light, if I am going the posted speed limit, there is no way I can stop safely before it turns red! My contention is that I deemed it better to proceed through the yellow (legal) and that I wouldn't have had enough time to react anyway.

Plus, I am now "pot committed" to the hearing since I missed the date to pay the ticket at the original fine amount and if I lose they are going to tack another $25 bucks to the original $75 ticket anyway, which is the same as the late fee so making an argument can't hurt anything at this point. That's why I am not spending anything. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

Roy, you are lucky if the fine is only 75 bucks. Here a red light violation is aroud 300 bucks plus court cost. total of about 325 bucks.
Your only hope is a judge that will buy your story about being to close when you noticed the yellow light and did not want to lock up your brakes. Outside of that, you would have to prove that the camera was malfunctioning.

RELH

So RELH - the video shows that the light is only yellow for 4 seconds. My best reaction time, when I am anticipating the yellow is 3.84 seconds, when I am not anticipating it, it is 3.72 seconds. At 40 MPH is that enough time to bring a 2900 lb vehicle to a complete stop? Safely?

HOOK 'EM!

Well dryboot - being that I have already "rendered unto Ceasar" this year, and "cleansing the temple of the money changers" might get me arrested, I guess I will just have to face Pilate in his court and hope he finds me as he did Barrabas!

HOOK 'EM!

3.72 reaction time???? You never win any drag races, right?

Explain to the judge that you have a PhD, break out the flash cards, and ask him the exact questions as you presented them to us.

Eel

Not sure how it works in your state, but here in AZ when camera's catch you, they send a notice in the mail with how much it is going to cost, the picture, and the violation. What many people don't realize before they send payment is the person has to be physically served the actual ticket by a process server. I think they have 90 to 120 days to serve the ticket. If they fail to do so in that amount of time the violation is automatically dismissed. Maybe look into that before heading to court.

Roy I hate to tell you. Those cameras and lights are set up with the min. amount of time allowed to catch more light runners. Also in most places, the company that installs and maintains the cameras get a good size cut of the fine money or a high flat rate. That means the cameras must bring enough revenue for both the installing company and the city coffers. At lease they do here in CA. with a contract with the city.
We had them here in our city that is the county seat for about five years before the city decided not to renew the contract with the installing company due to excessive complaints to the city fathers.

RELH

JUDAS Roy!

Mud on the License Plates was Pioneered here in the Basin,You got a Short Memory or what?

Box Em Up a Fresh Bakers Dozen with a Note saying:payment in Full!:D

And Remember!

They're always watching for PUNKS Driving Kia's with Loud PUNK Pipes & Fins on the Trunk!

I'll bet you've got the Loudest Kia in Texas?

For You have Sinned Roy!

If You're gonna Play,You're gonna Pay!

I'll bet you've even got a Tony Stewart Bumper Sticker on the Kia?

Does Ms Roy know about it yet?

She'll cut you off Roy!

That coulda been Dinner/Party Money for the Family!

The Dew I had for Breakfast wasn't Bad so I had one more for Dessert!:D

Here is my take. Those cameras or more to do with revenue than safety. Would your argument garner beating the ticket? Maybe...maybe not. Just like your calculations they have also calculated that most people wont fight it and those who do wont win. If you get a judge who will play on it you have a chance maybe. If they go off strict interpretation of the law you are wasting your time.

You have two choices here. Buy a tundra cause everyone knows they can do anything including invisibility around traffic cameras, or tell them you sold the car to Dirty Sanchez and forgot to remove the plate. Dump the car on a cash deal real quick and get the tundra

If you are fighting it on principle go for it. If you are doing otherwise a quick cost loss evaluation will show your folley. Such is the problem with robo cops. Takes the human element out of it and is a disservice to the public. Of course the city council did not have the public in mind o utting it up unless you count your wallet.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

One more thing. You got off lucky. Think of all the poor fellers. That had a lady friend in the front seat when their wife opened the envelope.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Advice, pay the ticket. I dont know what your time is worth, but you have already spent a good amount of time on this thing. If you fight it you will spend even more time on it. Then if you loose you'll fume and steam over it for a while. I for one never seem to have enough time for the things I Love , let alone time for things I dont like. Fighting "The Man" on real ( BIG ) issues is one thing. But over a stupid little ticket, naw my time is worth more to me than that. Even if you think it's a principal thing,remember the judge wont care about your feelings, He will just look at the pic and info. Say why aren't we getting 30 of these a day from other people..... And then you can start fuming.... more time.

So Roy?

Are the Tickets/Ass Chewins Bigger in TEXAS?

I Think with a little Repentage You're gonna be OK!

Ya,I know Tickets SUCK!

I'm a Pro at them!

Things have Quickly changed here in the Basin Roy,You ought to see all these Cops I have to Wade through day in & day out now!

Won't be long & I'll need a Fresh 3 Dozen with me at all times!

It's mostly just a Money Game!

You chose to keep going instead of stopping and ran a red light. A red light is a red light is a red light. At 40 mph I can easily stop my full size truck in plenty of time, unless I'm texting or checking out the hot chick running down the road in spandex. If it were me I would pay the ticket for a few reasons. 1- yes I ran a Red light. Even if you don't agree with how it's set up, you still ran it. 2- I have better things to do than fight a losing battle over princible. In the amount of time it takes to fight it I can make 10 times the amount of the ticket.
I don't see how you can win if it shows you running a red light. But good luck

LAST EDITED ON May-22-13 AT 01:46PM (MST)[p]An angle not discussed is that the camera company and the city may have been messing with the length of the yellow light before it changes to red. In my city, it was discovered that the camera company and the city shortened the time between yellow and red to specifically increase the number of violations to raise more revenue. Once that underhanded move was made public, the cameras disappeared.

If you choose to fight the pic tic, you may want to research how long the yellow light is on before changing to red and then find out when the timing was last adjusted and why. Could work in your favor.

Another defence may be that there was someone right on you rear bumper and you knew you would have been rear ended if you hit your breaks hard. Just sayin'.

Who knows, the judge may not like the cameras either and dismiss the revenue raising ticket on those grounds especially if you come into court with valid research.

Good luck on the bs ticket.
\

I paid mine it was over $350 plus had to do traffic school too.
Hope like hell you beat it.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

That Red Light Ticket Ain't Nuttin!

Aftyer Speeding my Whole Fricken Life!!!

A Few years ago I had Family Members all over my Ass about Slowing down!

So's I get's to Thinkin:::

Gonna Try Slowin My Ass Down!

Can't be all that Hard Right?

Well!

Let me tell You!

I've been in way more Trouble since I decided to slow down & start Driving Slower in the last few years than I'd been in my whole entire life!

Hadn't had a Ticket in Years and then SOB!

Did I pick a Dewsey!

A little Badge Shinning SOB downtown Orem got me 57 in a 20 in a School Zone while I was following the Drivers Ed Car!

Special Zoning/Ticket Fee's by Orem City!

I figured WTH,I ain't had a Ticket in Years!

JUDAS!

F'N!

PRIEST!

I shoulda Fought that one!

They made me take Driving School!

I asked them how many times they'd ever Drove a Rig theirselves over 140MPH?

That didn't go over too Well!

An Instructor Teaching me how to Drive that Claims She'd never been in a Vehicle over 75MPH!

GEEZUS!!!

A Real ROOKIE Driving Instructor!

Kinda like GATOR only worse!

When that Deal was Done I felt like I'd been Bent Over Kinda like Jodi Arias,Only I wasn't Liking it!

Tell them you are a sovereign citizen or pay the fine in pennies and throw them over the counter in a fit of rage.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

JUDAS Sticks Boy!

Roy is Runnin a True Hot Rod!

Kia!

PUNK Pipe for TEXAS sized Exhaust Sound!

A Racing Fin on the Trunk!

A Tony "SMOKE" NASCAR Sticker on the Bumper!

But I think that: "TICKET = NO DONUT" Sticker is what got him in Trouble!:D

I'll bet the distance to Slow Roy down is Twice the Distances you Posted!

He's got all them High Performance Mods on the Kia but hasn't Enhanced the Braking system on it!

So, they got the cameras and now each city in AZ can adjust the timing on yellow lights to maximize revenue. I got one a couple of years ago when Scottsdale did just that. I refused to answer the door for the server. They are not allowed to serve you after 8pm here and are allowed three attempts. First one knocked and rang then left. Second one knocked and rang then left. Third one came at 9:30pm and knocked and pounded on the door for over ten minutes. I grabbed the old 870 and racked a shell right next to the front door and he ran like a wabbit. No ticket.

Tell Ya What!

I'd rather hear about the 'Peepin Roy' Story/Charges!:D

RAZZIN Ya Roy!

I still laugh about that one!

Remember Roy!

Everything in TEXAS is Bigger!

Even the Badges!:D

Even miles and years deep into the heart of Texas, a Rocky Mountain Rabbi and his money are not easily parted.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON May-25-13 AT 05:49PM (MST)[p]Just starting and stopping the video you provided shows a time of only about 4 seconds from the time the light goes from green to yellow to red. At the 40mph limit you stated is in effect on that road and if you are in what I would call the "twilight zone" where the length of road required to stop is about where you are when the light changes, that is a very short time to come to a proper safe stop. About all you can do is tell that to the judge and hope some common sense is used in the judgement. Good luck!

Some of you guys are just FUNNY!

Eel - dryboob is right - that guy is only half the man I am, the small half! But no - I haven't been taken into custody - yet. The hearing is tomorrow with the Killeen, TX PD. It is even in front of a judge. I will let you know how it turns out.

I am just going to show the video of the light at 4 seconds. Show that with a normal reaction time of about .37 seconds, that only gives me about 3.67 seconds - at best - to bring a 2900 lb. vehicle travelling at 40 mph to and complete stop, a feat that I can do in approximately 4.18 seconds if I slam on the brakes. If I gradually slow down using the brakes and stop gently, it takes around 6 seconds. That is my contention; that in my judgement the 4 seconds of yellow light is not enough time to safely bring my vehicle to a complete stop behind the yellow pedestrian line (not the cross walk). In Texas, according to the Texas Driver's Handbook "A steady yellow light warns drivers to use caution and to alert them a red light is coming up. You must STOP before entering the nearest crosswalk at the intersection if you can do so safely. If a stop cannot be made safely, then you may proceed cautiously through the intersection before the light changes to red." Given the 40 MPH posted speed limit, my reaction time, and the subsequent stopping time, in my judgement, I did not feel I could safely stop so I continued to proceed cautiously through the intersection and thought I would do so before the light turned red.

I really am not going to say much beyond that. At this point, since I exercised my right to a hearing, I have passed the date that I could just pay the original fine of $75 and now a late fee of $25 has been added on. So, if I wanted to pay it off and forego the hearing, it would cost $100. If I lose, it will cost the $75 for the ticket and $25 in court fees, for a total of $100 - so at this point, unless I win, it is $100. If I win however, the ticket is dismissed and I pay nothing. That is worth the risk to me and I really haven't spent any money or lost any time researching or getting my arguments ready.

And yes, this Rocky Mt. Rabbi is a little tight with money, because my wife wields a very heavy rolling pin! Stuff like this makes her bring it out and get to swinging! So, I may indeed need some help paying this thing off. If so, I will open up a website where you can donate to my cause. It may also help me start up my own turtle guiding business!

Stay tuned tomorrow for my follow-up!

HOOK 'EM!

Before you fight it, does the picture show you as the driver? Can they prove that YOU were the driver? I can't be held liable for lending my truck to a speeding friend.

The commonly accepted reaction time is 1.5 seconds. That includes observing, making a decision and then beginning an action.

That means at 40mph you are traveling about 58fps. it would take you 87ft to even begin to slow your vehicle. What you need to determine is if the yellow light doesn't allow enough time (length of yellow light+. + reaction time) to come to a full and complete stop BEFORE the stop line.

That seemed like a short yellow light for 40mph traffic.

Just remember, the burden of proof lies in the hands of the prosecution.

Good luck to you.

"And now We Present Mormon Bishop Roy Driving a Tortisemobile,Running a Red Light at a High Rate of Speed Versus the Electronic Eye State Troopers of TEXAS"

He's been Convicted of alot of Crimes since He's been in TEXAS,lol!

Guilty He claims of none of them,lol!

Mistake # 1 was taking his Bino's to TEXAS with him,LMAO!

Mistake # ? was going through a Stop Light like He used to back in the Basin!:D

I'm Warnin ya Roy,Them 3rd Gear Stops don't cut it in TEXAS!

RAZZIN Ya Bud!

LAST EDITED ON May-30-13 AT 12:08PM (MST)[p]

Well, see feddoc - I wasn't in a hurry - and that actually has nothing to do with it. The incident occurred at 7:06AM and was about 2 miles from my work, which starts at 7:30AM, I was actually sitting in the parking lot at 7:12. Haste is totally irrelevant to this argument. Speeding is totally irrelevant to my argument. I was traveling the posted speed limit and proceeding as normally and as SAFELY as I could to maintain the flow of traffic.

So, the point is that SAFETY is actually the heart of my argument. The question is this: Is 3.67 seconds enough time to SAFELY stop a 2900lb vehicle travelling at 40MPH under light traffic and dry conditions? Is 4 seconds? I will prove through video and photographic evidence, physics, manuals and statistics for industry and nationwide standards concerning yellow light timing, and expert witness testimony if need be, that it is not and that my judgement to proceed through the intersection was, in fact, sound and correct and at the very least, given the speed, conditions, and reaction time, it was MY decision to make!

Well, today was just a hearing with the Killeen PD Hearing Officer. He told me up front that he was just looking at the black and white facts and that if I felt there were other cricumstances that affected the incident such as speed, traffic, or safety concerns, that I could take those up on the appeal of his decision. It was clearly evident that he had no power to dismiss the ticket or review any defendant evidence so, of course, he found me liable and I immediately went and filed the appeal with the City Justice Court, just a block over. The ticket has been bound over for appeal and I have an appointment with the PA for a Pre-trial Special Hearing next Thursday.

From everything I have read, I stand a good chance of winning the appeal, not only from the evidence I have collected but because there is no eyewitness accuser, it could be a violation of my 4th Ammendment rights. I am not going to mention that in my arguments unless it becomes necessary, hopefully the prosecutor will see this though at the hearing next week and dismiss it. Right now, it is still not costing me more than the ticket and administrative fees and I am able to be flexible with my lunch breaks for the hearings so I am not missing any time from work. City Hall doesn't want me to fight them on this one but I am not going down without at least getting a few punches in!

HOOK 'EM!

Roy if you can just half way convince the judge the time span from yellow to red is too short for safe stopping, you have a better then 50-50 chance of the judge deciding in your favor.

It has been my experience that the majority of judges do not like even the hint of unfairness in cities or police agencies generating excessive tickets for the sake of pulling in more revenue though fines.

A 4 second time element is too short for a posted speed limit of 40 MPH.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON May-30-13 AT 01:15PM (MST)[p]Well, if you weren't in such a hurry, then why did you end up running the light? Hmmmmm?

Aw I'm just messing with you. Do you know if standards have been set..either state or otherwise which identify expected reaction times v. Yellow light timing v. posted speed limits (as RELH mentioned). Also, in our state if the red light is on when the vehicle ENTERS the intersection, that results in a ticket.

LAST EDITED ON May-30-13 AT 01:53PM (MST)[p]I think if you stay with your video and explanation showing that the light change gives no more than a total of 4 seconds for reaction and stopping time before hitting the pedestrian crosswalk line at 40 mph that your ticket should be dismissed. At 40mph I believe that light change should be set to at least 6 to 6.5 seconds for traffic to stop safely unless a vehicle is a long distance away when it changes. Keep your presentation as short and polite as possible and you should win. The prosecution may even dismiss it when they see what evidence you have so they can continue with it set at 4 seconds if it is indeed being used to make money for the city. With it being a military town, they probably figure that military personnel won't have the time to fight a ticket and will just cough up the fine!

Don't forget to tell the Judge you learned how to drive in TARDville!

Where all TARDS Run the Lights because the other direction of Traffic Run the Lights first/also!

You gotta remember Roy!

They're watchin for them PUNK cars with Loud Pipes & Racing Fins on the Trunk!:D

Yeah, well, the Killeen PD must have it in for my Kia Rio! In the last year, 2 speeding tickets (65 in a 55 and 79 in a 70 - and yes Feddoc and Nickman, I took care of those and have slowed down! And no I wasn't really in a hurry either, just not paying attention).

I drive almost 35K miles per year, it is a risk I take. It had been nearly 3 1/2 years since my last ticket, so I guess I was due.

HOOK 'EM!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-13 AT 06:38AM (MST)[p]>Yeah, well, the Killeen PD must
>have it in for my
>Kia Rio! In the last
>year, 2 speeding tickets (65
>in a 55 and 79
>in a 70 - and
>yes Feddoc and Nickman, I
>took care of those and
>have slowed down! And no
>I wasn't really in a
>hurry either, just not paying
>attention).
>
>I drive almost 35K miles per
>year, it is a risk
>I take. It had been
>nearly 3 1/2 years since
>my last ticket, so I
>guess I was due.
>
>HOOK 'EM!

***IMHO a couple of these comments weren't the best to put out on a public website, especially now saying that you weren't paying attention when you got those tickets! I'd make sure and not make that comment at your next court appearance! Sounds to me like maybe you have a lead foot if you've had those other speeding tickets recently and then a statement that it's been nearly 3 1/2 years since your others! Hells bells, I got two minor tickets back in 72 (speed trap) and 75 (when the Feds forced freeway speeds down to 55) and haven't had one since. That includes at least as many miles per year on my job of 30 years as you said you drive per year! I take it that KIA doesn't have cruise control if you were that far over the limit on those other tickets you mentioned.

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-13
>AT 06:38?AM (MST)

>
>>Yeah, well, the Killeen PD must
>>have it in for my
>>Kia Rio! In the last
>>year, 2 speeding tickets (65
>>in a 55 and 79
>>in a 70 - and
>>yes Feddoc and Nickman, I
>>took care of those and
>>have slowed down! And no
>>I wasn't really in a
>>hurry either, just not paying
>>attention).
>>
>>I drive almost 35K miles per
>>year, it is a risk
>>I take. It had been
>>nearly 3 1/2 years since
>>my last ticket, so I
>>guess I was due.
>>
>>HOOK 'EM!
>
>***IMHO a couple of these comments
>weren't the best to put
>out on a public website,
>especially now saying that you
>weren't paying attention when you
>got those tickets! I'd
>make sure and not make
>that comment at your next
>court appearance! Sounds to
>me like maybe you have
>a lead foot if you've
>had those other speeding tickets
>recently and then a statement
>that it's been nearly 3
>1/2 years since your others!
> Hells bells, I got
>two minor tickets back in
>72 (speed trap) and 75
>(when the Feds forced freeway
>speeds down to 55) and
>haven't had one since.
> That includes at least
>as many miles per year
>on my job of 30
>years as you said you
>drive per year! I
>take it that KIA doesn't
>have cruise control if you
>were that far over the
>limit on those other tickets
>you mentioned.

Damn Straight that KIA has Cruise Control!

Kinda like My PISSCUTTIN Rig!

WOT & FITFF!

The Sad part is Roy:

Even things in the Basin have changed!

There's 3 Cops working the Ioka Lane every Morning now!

I've been in more trouble since I've tried to Stop Speeding than I ever was before comitting the Crime of Speeding!

JFP!

I can't Drive Seventy-f'n-five!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-13 AT 04:37PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-13 AT 04:34?PM (MST)

No - it doesn't have cruise control.

As far as this information being out there in a public forum, I am not too worried about it. The red light tickets here in Texas are administrative, not criminal. If it were criminal, I never would have posted anything about it - period. Even if I am found "liable" (note the word "liable" - not "guilty" that the State of Texas uses in the citation) then the worst they can do is issue the fine and administrative fees. Even if I don't pay it, they cannot swear out a warrant against me or arrest me. The worst they can do is turn it over to a collection agency who can pester me until I pay or ignore them forever. It can't even affect my credit. I could just ignore it altogether.

That is not what I am trying to do though. I just want a hearing in front of an objective 3rd party. If that happens, I am confident the ticket will be dismissed. If not, I will pay it just like I did the other red light ticket and the two parking tickets I got this last year. (The other red light ticket was a different city - pretty evident that I did turn right on the red without coming to a complete stop so I didn't argue it, though if there ever is a next time I will certainly request a hearing and the parking tickets were both at the University of Texas campus - cheaper than buying the annual parking pass and didn't have time to walk two miles from street or garage parking - took my chances parking in a restricted lot and got tickets 2 out of the 200 times I parked there).

This year has been much better. This red light ticket is the only incident I have had and I am trying to do much better. I am not perfect though and I am sure I won't obey the law perfectly 100% of the time like I am sure some of those who are reading this and judging me do. I am just hoping I am not in the presence of a Killeen Police Officer in a Kia Rio when it happens because they seem to have me in their sights! Kia Rios must be considered one of the target cars for law enforcement on the road right now!

I'll bet if I were driving a bored out dually diesel doing 90 in a school zone smoking out the crossing guard and the principal's wife then I would be just fine!

HOOK 'EM!

Well Roy, it's pretty obvious you turtle hunt the same way you drive. Screw the rules and regulations. Why not take a chance? If you get caught poaching the fine is cheaper than the tag, right?

I thought I knew you. Or maybe I do.

Eel

So Roy?

You tell the Judge You're a Habitual Speeder like me?

Did you tell the Judge about the Peepin Roy Scene?

Ok!

Ok!

Enough of my BS!

Did you get out of the Ticket or not?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom