Recomend a book.

ChubbyTuna

Let's hear some suggestions for some good hunting adventure books. Helps me pass the time while sitting on a wallow all day.

If you haven't already read them, "Hunting Trips of a Ranchman & The Wilderness Hunter" by Teddy Roosevelt. This is a two book set in one book that can be bought at Amazon.com. Pretty good read, and made up of a bunch of his hunting adventures.

"success Is Reason Enough!"

Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia. Different kind of hunting, but if you are a gun nut, you will love it!

Nocked N Loaded

Chubby.....I realize you have not been here long......but you been here long enough, to know better than to ask for a book recommendation from this bunch.

The most popular answer will be;

"something with Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny in it......I never read the book, but the movie was real good!"

I read Ruark's "Horn of the Hunter" recently and really enjoyed it. It is about old time safari hunting in Africa, but I enjoyed it.

I have also liked the Joe Pickett novels by Wyoming writer C.J. Box about a WY game warden. I think the first book is called "Open Season". Sometimes the plots are a little far fetched, but it is all set in the kind of country western hunters can appreciate.

Dax

"Hell I Was There" by Elmer Keith. A very entertaining book about a cowboy who was a hunter.

Dang, NORBY you beat me to it! was going to recomend that book too-
So I"m going with THE LOST CLASSICS OF JACK O CONNOR -
A great read of some of the good ol' times with one of the best story tellers of all time.

How to Find Monster Bucks by Kirk Darner. Also Deer Quest by Lance Stapleton is ok. And I really like hunting High Country Mule Deer by Mike Eastman.

Dillon

"death in the longgrass by Peter Capstick or "Unrepentant Sinner" by Col. Charles Askins.

Several of the Capstick books on hunting Africa are great. The Unrepentant Sinner is a bio of Askins from his days with the border patrol, service in WW11 and his hunting adverntures in S. East Asia. Out of print but if you find it, you will not want to set it down. involved in many gunfights with smugglers on the Mexican border during his border patrol days.

RELH

?Bows on the Little Delta? by Glen St. Charles, a founder of the P&Y club; especially if you are a bow hunter.

"They Call Me Hunter". Stories of Arizona hunting guide Hunter Wells. The mule deer chapter about hunting giants on the Strip and the stories about chasing jaguar down in Central America are really good stuff.

I used to have Alaskan fever real bad and these books are classics...

coversmallsize.jpg

http://alaskabearstories.com/Purchase_Online.html

Book summary...

We all understand, appreciate and talk about the contributions of hunters, but seldom recognize the outfitters and guides, "the unsung heroes" who play a vital role in our hunting heritage - the men and women who dedicate their lives to making the hunting experience possible for untold numbers. These folks scout for game, set up camps, take responsibility for our very lives, provide food and shelter and make sure that our hunts are so enjoyable that we can't wait to return. They are the reason why, despite declining hunter numbers in North America, big game hunting and money for wildlife conservation are on the rise. These heroes have made the hunting adventure into such a memorable experience that sportsmen and women from every walk of life want to participate.

One of those unsung heroes is Keith N. Johnson, the author of Unpredictable Giants, a volume of firsthand accounts about hunting the great Brown Bears of Alaska. Keith is a guide, outfitter, fisherman, father and businessman and has spent his entire adult life in our greatest outdoor state -Alaska.

Keith's book contains over 50 stories with accompanying full color photos of his favorite bear stories which cover 40 years of Brown Bear hunting. Also included are stories by Keith's most trusted friends, his guides. The stories reflect on Keith's successful career as a guide and outfitter and covers the Togiak and Dillingham areas, the Wrangell Mountains and the Lower Alaskan Peninsula. The stories are written as if you are sitting in hunting camp with an old friend telling you his funniest, saddest, and most hair raising adventures. You will be able to sit back, read and feel - in the pit of your stomach- the fury and fear of the great Alaskan Brown Bear.

claw.jpg

You will not be able to put the book down as Keith takes you on adventure after adventure spanning his 40 years of guiding and hunting in the Alaskan wilderness.
Unpredictable Giants is a must have for any avid hunter, and a perfect gift for those dreaming of big game hunting adventures in Alaska!

Both Pinnell & Talifson's books
The golden age of Kodiak Bear hunting

lastofbrownbearhunters_225.jpg

kodiak_front_225.jpg

kodiak_inside_p43.jpg

More good Alaskan reads...

akwhunter225.jpg

(From the book's foreword by Charles J. Keim) Thankfully, Harold Schetzle is one of millions of Americans taught by their fathers to use a firearm properly, then share hunts. As son and father, I can testify that this is a prideful experience, and important to the nation.

I have a somewhat similar, but dual, feeling about Harold. First, there's the sense of pride over this Vietnam Veteran's accomplishments as a widely published writer since he first arrived at the University of Alaska, where I became his professor/friend. Second, while I was serving as a registered big game guide on the Alaska Guide Licensing and Control Board, I watched Harold develop from assistant to highly respected fair chase guide. Later, I could assure him from afar, "you have the know-how; don't worry about your passing the examinations for Master Guide."

Today he holds that honorable professional position - hard earned, but auguring well for hunters who increasingly seek this highly experienced outdoorsman's expert services. They are a diversity of hunters, from the United States, New Zealand, France, Germany, Norway, and our good friend and neighbor, Canada. And they can "book" to hunt for a diversity of big game with modern firearms, muzzle loaders, archery and camera.

There are many persons, of course, who for a number of reasons cannot actively participate in such Alaskan wilderness hunts with Harold, or swap stories, maybe even a few "tall tales" with him around the campfire. Vicariously, they'll be able to participate by reading this, his first book, ALASKA WILDERNESS HUNTER. When they complete reading, they'll want to call Harold by the same name as do his other warm friends: "Zeke." Read the book, and do it. You're going to get to know this writer/guide better

Hunt_Alaska_Now_Cover.jpg

http://www.bucktrack.com/Hunt_Alaska_Now.html

Hunt Alaska Now is the single best book on unguided hunting for caribou and moose. It is loaded with practical advice on planning your hunt, choosing an area, keeping costs down, hunting tactics, trophy judging, gear selection, meat and trophy care, getting your meat and antlers home, and much, much more.

This book will pay for itself easily in hunt cost savings. You will not be disappointed! Softcover, 368 pages, lots of great hunting photos!

Chapter Content:

Planning and Organizing
Selecting Your Hunting Area
Costs and Economizing
Travel and Transport
Hunting Techniques and Tips
Trophy Judgment
Meat and Trophy Handling
Camp Equipment and Setup, and Rafts
Guns, Ammo and Optics
Food and Clothing
Packing and Shipping
Laws and Regulations
Bears, Safety and Stories
Memories-Hunting Stories
About the Author
Index

Boomtown by Jack O'connor. Tough to find but worth it. Unless you want to pay between 100 and 400 dollars for the book get it from a library. I have two copies. Ron

It kinda depends what you like to read about. If you're into reading about African hunting, then Ruark's books are about as good as it can get. I particularly like 'Horn of the Hunter', though 'Use Enough Gun' is also good. Capstick's books are good, though highly embellished, and most African PHs who knew him will tell you that. They are entertaining, though. Some of the anthologies by National Sporting Fraternity are excellent, and you can pick up trade editions for reasonable prices. You'd never want to take any of their limited, first editions into the field, as they are far too valuable to collectors.

If you want to read some good books about North American hunting, Ruark is again very good, and 'The Old Man and the Boy' is one of my all-time favorites. You can purchase a soft cover that combines 'The Old Man and the Boy' with 'The Old Man's Boy Grows Older' and read it for an entire hunt. It's not big game hunting, but anyone who can't appreciate those books is really missing out, IMO. Donnell Thomas is also an excellent writer, and his 'Longbows in the Far North' is a very good read.

Personally, I find the older books written by people such as Jack O'Conner, Russell Annabel, Elmer Keith, Robert Ruark, and many of the old time African PHs to be my favorites, though I do enjoy Craig Boddington's books.

Most of all, I wish Harry Selby would write an autobiography.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom