Recent Issue of Trophy Hunter Magazine

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Was reading through the most recent issue of Trophy Hunter Magazine and now I want to hunt grizzly bears!!! I actually wanted to before, but now even more so.

It's a good magazine. Some awesome bucks in it. That buck on the cover (below) is really cool. I also like that buck that Bobby Macias took. Can you say mass & droptines!!!

Anyway, how many of you guys have hunted grizzly bear? Was it all that I'm thinking it would be???

5936summer_2010.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

LAST EDITED ON Jun-21-10 AT 06:54PM (MST)[p]I have received help from numerous Monster Muley members over the years and am truly thankful..
Don't want a beef with either Stinky or you.
If I could ever help out either one of you guys I would in a minute.

Since these are guided hunts by law I'm not revealing any honey holes, so here are some of my choices.
My info might be a tad dated, since it's been a while since the bear fever cooled.

I hunted interior Grizzly in 1996 out of the Alaskan town of Gakona.
It was a long 17 day hunt, we saw some extremely large bears with one that the guide estimated at over 9 foot.
We had very difficult snow conditions.
In the end final stalks on those giants were blown due to crunchy snow and swirling wind conditions.
I'm still haunted by the memories of two of those monster interior bears.

This is the den that that monster 9 footer spent the winter.

scan0002wr.jpg

After we blew the stalk, we packed up went back to the plane and followed his tracks in the snow.
Here he is from the air.

scan0002ya.jpg

Another bear that winded us on that hunt...

scan0001se.jpg

I ended up taking a smaller bear that squared 7ft 9 on the last evening of the last day of the hunt.

3-1.jpg

I came home with a real empty feeling knowing I was so close to a couple of huge bears and could not seal the deal.
I decided the only way to get one of those giants that I had dreamed of since my boyhood was to go where the real big ones live.
I scrimped, saved, and even sold my truck, but I finally booked a 15 day back pack bear hunt on Kodiak island.

I killed my giant bear on Kodiak Island April 24th of 2001

mee1kk8.jpg

scan0005ao.jpg

They used to take some huge interior bears out of McGrath Alaska, but I think they have thinned them out in recent years.

If you opt for a truly large brownie, I strongly feel that you should hunt the first SPRING hunt available.
The biggest boars are the first to come out of their dens if you go later, you will see more bears, but you will see smaller ones and might be tempted to shoot
one.
Also if you go later, you will see rubbed bears that you will truly regret shooting.

Hunt Kodiak Island or the south
western most part of the Alaskan peninsula.
Forget about southeast Alaska, they just
don't produce giant bears.
I took my 10 footer with

Brian Peterson (907) 783-1886 Girdwood, AK

http://www.ugakbay.com/

He is a very honest, hard working guide with a real
honey hole on Kodiak.
He was very reasonably priced at the time.
He offers a 14 day hunt!
($10,500 in 2001)
He was on the board of
directors of the Alaska Professional hunter's Assn.
He has MANY years of guiding under his belt considering he
is still in his 40's.

Other great Kodiak choices would be:

http://www.huntalaska.com/
Choice #1 is Scott Mileur Truly a legendary guide on Kodiak,
Most honest, tough, hard working guy you will ever meet
PERIOD.
LOTS of GIANT bears under his belt.
He hunts the legendary area of Olga Bay where Pinnell &
Talifson trained him. He too offers a 14 day
hunt for the price. (VERY
IMPORTANT!)
I would go with him if my life depended on killing
a giant bear.
HOLD OUT FOR A BIG ONE,
YOU WILL GET IT.
Friend of mine killed a 9'6
bear with Scott.
I know him and have talked to him for many years
at the different conventions.
HE IS SUPERB.
I would have gone with him but I just couldn't afford
it at the time.

Dennis Harms is a stand up guy with lots of big bears under his belt.

http://www.alaskakodiakbearhuntingsafaris.com/

D.i.c.k Rohrer is a Kodiak legend.

http://www.kodiakbearcamp.com/hunting.html

Alaska Peninsula...

http://www.wildmanlodge.com/prod02.htm
Has taken TONS of monster bears, but his hunts are short and he runs a lot of hunters through his area,
but he does really well.

R&R guide servise does a bang up job on Unimak Island as well.

http://www.rrhunting.com/unimak-brown-bear/

Tim Booch has taken bears up to 11 foot square.
http://www.aleutianislandsguideservice.com/index.html

I hope you can attain one
of these hunts.
They are adventures of a lifetime, you will never regret it.

Take Care.
HH

Founder,
Both my son and I have Grizz draws this year. We are planning a GOS caribou and moose hunt in the northern end of the province and figure having grizz tags in our pockets is a good idea. 0.5:1 draw odds. A give me draw but we will have a good opportunity to kill a grizz in the unit we're hunting. I think it would be a blast to see my 14 year old son kill his first grizz at that age.
I had a fall grizz tag a few years back in the central part of the province. Only saw one grizz while the season was on and he was a long ways away feeding on blueberries in the alpine. Too far to even think about trying for him. I hunted long and hard that year looking for a particular bear that I had several encounters with in previous years. Never did see him the year I had the draw though.

Those are some incredible bears you have taken! What fun!!!

BCBOY - Ya, I'll bet your son would be excited to get a grizz at 14. What a story to tell the girls at school.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

NICE PICS HARRY......I NEVER TIRE OF SEEING THOSE BEAR PICS. I SHOULD HAVE JUST GOT BACK FROM UNIT 13 IN ALASKA FOR BROWNS (KNEE). MY 2 PARTNERS DID NOT POP A CAP ON A BROWN......95 DEGREE WEATHER ON A SPRING HUNT. I WILL BOOK AGAIN IN 2-3 YEARS, AROUND OTHER HUNTS. GOOD LUCK BRIAN ON YOUR GRIZZ........YD.

Thanks for making us aware of this issue Founder. It makes me want to go get it.

Harry, wow! thanks for sharing the bear photos, experience, and knowledge. Very cool.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-22-10 AT 01:31PM (MST)[p]I've never hunted them, but I've REALLY wanted to ever since spending time at a Bear Lodge (we were there to fish....) in the Spring 1996!

My father and I arrived to chill-out and fish for a week right after the end of the Spring bear season. They had this one hung-up outside the barn from a couple of days prior. I think it's in the top 100 SCI. Amazing animals!!!!

We were out on the Penninsula toward's Cold Bay. Since then I've always wanted to go back to hunt those bears. I will someday!! ;)

S.

:)

DadStan_BigBear.jpg

Yea, I think they said it was just under 12' squared..... I was (and still am) a bear novice and didn't really know anything about scoring. All I knew was that it was a HUGE bear!! It was amazing to be standing right next to that skin and to try to imagine what it would be like to meet that critter on the hoof!

S.

:)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom