Real Problem with DWR

W

Wildman

With the conservation expo coming up and all the talk about what's wrong with the wildlife system in Utah, I thought it might be an appropriate time to address what I think may be one the biggest problems with the Department of Natural Resources.

Although there are many problems, one that is very seldom, if ever, mentioned is the amount of money that the DNR diverts to "scientific research". This "research" is almost always done in the name of conservation, but very seldom provides useful information. And in many cases, the "research" is used to promote extreme environmental philosophies which are contrary to the traditional outdoor lifestyle.

If you are out on the roads and pass a DNR vehicle, it is most likely some kind of administrator/researcher- not a game warden. If the DNR would use the funds it squanders on no good research for some common sense wildlife management, it would go along way to helping improve hunting in Utah.

So do you think the UDWR should only be in the business of "game" management, or is wildlife management acceptable?

FYI, the only funds earmarked for non game management is what comes from the state general fund, which makes up only 8-9% of the UDWR annual budget.

What would constitute "common sense wildlife management" in your opinion?

Do you have examples of "no good research"?

http://unitedwildlifecooperative.org

The more I read on MM about peoples opinions of the Utah DWR the more I am convinced that the only way a Utahn would be pleased with the performance of the DWR was if everyone in the state was allowed to hunt wherever, whenever and however they wanted. As long as all bucks were over 30" with strong front forks. This group cannot win in Utah.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom