RE: OR Applications

M

Mister_Hawk

Hey guy's, brand new to the site I hope I am doing this right but none the less. I am have lived in Oregon my whole life. I hate to see the App fee's go up just as much as the next guy. However, Oregon is still One of the cheapest states to hunt for res and nr. I have been out of state several times, MT is just under $1000 for a Deer/Elk combo tag. Last time I went to ID it was $356 for a Deer tag. It cost's me $210 just to apply In NV...I drew a Antelope tag in NV last year the tag was $300. If I ever get lucky enough to Draw a NV Elk tag that will set back $1200 on top of the $210 a year for how ever many years it takes me to draw. And the list goes for every other state. The bottom line is I love the sport enough to pay what ever each state ask's me to pay. I hunt everthing Birds to Big game and the sport is turning into a "Pay to Play" sport all the way around. I have seen things that say they want to start charging us a fee to enter our Nation forest land. So I guess we can either get used to paying out the A$$ to go hunt or sit on the couch and dream about it. Hawk

So, I did not do what I was trying to, sorry. How do I reply to the post without replying to the individual reply??

Click on the reply button. :)

----------------------------------------
Measure wealth by the things you have,, for which you would not take money.

The problem I see with Oregon and the NR hunter is the low chance of drawing and the hunt sucks even if you do. quality for your dollar is the lowest in any state I've ever hunted.

It could be said if you don't like it don't apply but I have two problems with that, first most of the land the NR hunts is public and he owns it as much as I do so 3% of the tags is a kick in the face. second doubling the fee after the game starts seems unfair considering the quality has dropped since he started playing. Wyoming and a few other states have done it as well to me so Oregon isn't the first, the difference is they give out a reasonable amount of tags to the NR and once you draw you have something.

DITTO SIXPACK! GOING UP IN PRICE INCREMENTALY WOULD BE UNDERSTOOD BUT THIS IS TO MUCH. I FORSEE THIS HURTING EASTERN OREGON COMMUNITIES THAT GET A LARGE PART OF THEIR INCOME FROM NR DOLLARS. MANY ARE GOING TO CHOOSE TO GO WHERE THE OPPORTUNITIES ARE BETTER. A NEVADA ELK TAG AND A OREGON ELK TAG ARE APPLES AND ORANGES. ACTUALLY ANY STATES ELK TAGS ARE COMPARED TO OREGONS.

A
>NEVADA ELK TAG AND A
>OREGON ELK TAG ARE APPLES
>AND ORANGES. ACTUALLY ANY STATES
>ELK TAGS ARE COMPARED TO
>OREGONS.

Maybe, except for Washington's.

I'm not sure of the message, but it kind of sounds like ODFW paid you. You hunt out of state because the quality is better and therefore, you and others don't mind paying more.

Pirogue,

I think you hit the nail on the head, an ODF&W employee.

I pay to play in nearly all western states, maybe points only this year.It boils down to quality for me.Oregon compared to just about every other state is dead last. You throw wolves,cougars, and coyotes into the mix with higher fees and NR's want to burn their points ASAP. I don't blame them one bit. JB

You may end up paying 1,200 for that elk tag in Nevada, the difference will be you will see multiple branch bulls with little huting pressure. Comparing Oregon's quality with other western states is a complete and utter joke.

Rich

No, I don't work for ODFW. And I don't dispute the fact that Oregon has allot of problems, quality, herd numbers, predators and a piss poor way of going about game mgmt...the list goes on. If I was a NR I would put in for Antelope and Sheep in Oregon and that would be it. I guess my point was that Oregon is One of the cheapest western states to hunt for Res. and NR. So, if what you guy's is saying is that the quality of tag should match the price? Then Oregon is right on track with the rest of the west...poorest tags and lowest price. I am not saying that I agree with what they did to the prices because I think it is going to hurt allot of folks in the long run. Hawk

Hawk,
I understand and respect your opinion. No matter what the fee as an Oregon resident I will always pay the fee and go to bat for wildlife in Oregon, as I believe everyone on this site would.Unfortunately I think the only other state worse off than Oregon is Washington State, Idaho has been in a slide as well.Check out the other post regarding Oregon applications, there are some very informative posts and opinions there. JB

LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-10 AT 09:53PM (MST)[p]>
>It could be said if you
>don't like it don't apply
>but I have two problems
>with that, first most of
>the land the NR hunts
>is public and he owns
>it as much as I
>do so 3% of the
>tags is a kick in
>the face.

I'm with you on the other points except this one....yes, it's public land, you can come camp all you want, but the game belongs to the State of Oregon, there's nothing you can do about that. That being said, from a selfish standpoint, I feel 3% is WAY too low, we should be receiving more tag $$ from non-residents, we're cheating ourselves at this point. Jack it up to at least 10%.

> then Oregon
>is right on track with
>the rest of the west...poorest
>tags and lowest price.

What you say used to be true. The new nr cost of $147.00 just for the licence just to apply and then $500.00 for the elk tag if you can draw after 7-15 years. makes oregon one of the more expensive states with the poorest tags.

Well, it's official. The new $147 NR fee makes this state a complete bust for NR's. First it was cut NR tags in half. Then it was give 1/2 those to guides. What's left?......often zero tags at all in the decent units. Now even quality went from bad to worst. Yikes. I regret getting started here, but now the only question remaining is what to do with these 12 elk/deer/lope points before bailing.

Back
Top Bottom