Re: Expo Tags

joesikora

Long Time Member
Re: Expo Tags

I put this in another posting because I'm wanting to keep the discussions separate. I know there has been lots of complaints on MM about the MDF&SFW and the monies that are generated for the 200 tags.

It seems that the only way to make a difference with big business is to hit them where it hurts. That being $. If you look at the rules for almost all drawings including this one everyone is entitled to a free ticket, now I don't know if that's for each drawing or just one (I know there are a whole lot of smarter people on here then I maybe someone has the answer if so please enlighten us) but if everyone takes the free ticket that's $5 they're losing.

Some food for thought

As always thanks for your time
Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

You lost me on this one Joe. How does a person get a free ticket you're talking about? Also, the way the rule works for those 200 tags is that you actually have to show up and validate each $5 application in person. That is one reason that there aren't that many people outside Utah that go to the Expo.

>That rule goes with the tags.
> It is not a
>mdf, sfw rule. It
>will be the same whoever
>gets the expo tags.

With the million of dollars taken in over the years just from the $5 per application fee it doesn't sound like many people are taking that "free" way out even if they are made aware of it!

Looking at the drawing odds posted...I would guess at lest 1080 nonresident attended (the number of NR who applied for Desert BHS).

That is a fair number of people and denying that the expo draws people is not supported by the facts. I am not a fan of the expo and have never been. I fought like hell to stop it and continue to say the public welfare given via conservation and convention tags needs to stop. That being said, the expo draws a lot of people. I think they could generate 100 times the money for wildlife if they removed the stupid in person validation requirement (JMO).

If nothing else comes from the RMEF bid, I think MDF and SFW have had their eyes opened. I think they will be more attentive to the public outcry. I am not arguing that the process has been fair but I do think they are now doing everything they can to try and turn things back to their favor.

I sincerely hope RMEF wins the convention tags, opens the draw to everybody and remove the mandatory attendance, tons of money is generated for Utah (both habitat and tourism) and the monopoly that has a strangle hold on Utah is broken...but I also hope Santa visits me this year and brings me another AZ unit 9 archery elk tag since the rules have changed:)

Sorry TOPGUN, I assumed everyone seen this, my bad.
Here is what I'm referring too. And you still have to be present to win as stated earlier. It's for all people not just for NR's

Applying for the 200 additional Utah Big game drawings is easy. There are no bonus points and no waiting period for these limited entry permits. You must validate in person at the WHCE February 11-14, 2016 at the Salt Palace Convention Center. No purchase is required. If you have questions or need help applying, please call ( 801) 971-1310.

* No purchase needed to be entered to win.

This is from the email I received on The Hunt Expo
Thanks Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-15 AT 12:08PM (MST)[p]>Sorry TOPGUN, I assumed everyone seen
>this, my bad.
>Here is what I'm referring too.
>And you still have to
>be present to win as
>stated earlier. It's for all
>people not just for NR's
>
>
>Applying for the 200 additional Utah
>Big game drawings is easy.
>There are no bonus points
>and no waiting period for
>these limited entry permits. You
>must validate in person at
>the WHCE February 11-14, 2016
>at the Salt Palace Convention
>Center. No purchase is required.
>If you have questions or
>need help applying, please call
>( 801) 971-1310.
>
>* No purchase needed to be
>entered to win.
>
>This is from the email I
>received on The Hunt Expo
>
> Thanks Joe
>
>"Sometimes you do things wrong for
>so long you
>think their right" - 2001
>"I can't argue with honesty" -
>2005
>-Joe E Sikora

I guess they don't think a $5.00 application fee per hunt is a "purchase". It's as misleading as the common statement they use that you can get a permit for "only $5.00".

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-15 AT 03:58PM (MST)[p]>>Sorry TOPGUN, I assumed everyone seen
>>this, my bad.
>>Here is what I'm referring too.
>>And you still have to
>>be present to win as
>>stated earlier. It's for all
>>people not just for NR's
>>
>>
>>Applying for the 200 additional Utah
>>Big game drawings is easy.
>>There are no bonus points
>>and no waiting period for
>>these limited entry permits. You
>>must validate in person at
>>the WHCE February 11-14, 2016
>>at the Salt Palace Convention
>>Center. No purchase is required.
>>If you have questions or
>>need help applying, please call
>>( 801) 971-1310.
>>
>>* No purchase needed to be
>>entered to win.
>>
>>This is from the email I
>>received on The Hunt Expo
>>
>> Thanks Joe
>>
>>"Sometimes you do things wrong for
>>so long you
>>think their right" - 2001
>>"I can't argue with honesty" -
>>2005
>>-Joe E Sikora
>
>I guess they don't think a
>$5.00 application fee per hunt
>is a "purchase". It's as
>misleading as the common statement
>they use that you can
>get a permit for "only
>$5.00".

Ah, so we're not talking about "free" tickets after all. As far as the number of NR attendees based on the number of those that applied for sheep, that number would be dwarfed if the RMEF national convention was moved to SLC. The NR numbers would be where the real big money for motel rooms, etc. would be a benefit to SLC and Utah in addition to the entire $5 application fee for each one sold going back on the ground like RMEF has bid. If the attendance requirement was dropped, and I have no idea if that's in the contract or is just the way MDF chose to do it, the money would really roll in for Utah wildlife and God knows how much it would total.

EDIT: I just found out that being there in person to validate the $5 application is in the convention rules and another stipulation in the rules is that a person must have a Utah hunting license in order to apply for those tags along with the $5 application fee.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom