Re: Combo hunts

joesikora

Long Time Member
Re: Combo hunts

Has any one ever went on a guided combo hunt with any success of harvesting multiply animals (other than Safaris) such as elk moose, moose bear, etc. if so please give all the details and the name of the Outfitters. As I would like to look into this type of hunt

Thanks for your time
Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

Haven't done one yet but have looked at a canadian hunt offering a 2 week caribou, moose, bear, ptarmigan, and goobobs of fishing type safari. Safari Nordik is one I have reviewed but do some digging and more oufitters/guide services will develop.

However after doing a quick run down for their website I came up with some recent awful reviews from hunters about Safari Nordik. There are others offering the same services. Seems I will need to do some new searching as well.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

LAST EDITED ON Jul-21-15 AT 06:34AM (MST)[p]Hi tail chasers, I to looked at Safari Nordik I was impressed by their site etc.
Although their hunt is mostly a 2 Caribou hunt.I sent them an email a week ago, I still haven't gotten a response. Maybe their vacationing now though, because I sent a couple other emails to other outfitters with no response either.
I'll let you know if I find a good one, please do the same.

Thanks for your time
Joe

-Joe E Sikora

I'm not a fan of mixed bag hunts.

I went on a Northern BC moose, wolf, mountain goat hunt. These were the tags I had. You could have had these tags and elk, grizzly, caribou and stone sheep.

The six hunters in camp were probably carrying a total of about 15 tags and three animals were harvested. Two moose and one elk and no one killed two animals, some of the hunters never saw a legal animal.

The hunt had a base cost for one animal and additional animals were on a trophy fee basis so if didn't kill an additional animal you didn't have to pay anything but you did have to buy the license before you flew in. But all mixed bag hunts aren't like this, you pay up front for some of them whether you harvest anything or not.

Ten days probably isn't enough days for a multiple species hunt. Probably should start at 14 days or more and you need to be in good enough physical condition to hunt hard for 14 days.

There is a thread in the sheep section about Dall sheep hunting. I had considered going on a sheep/moose combo hunt in Alaska but chose to just do sheep and after ten days and I hadn't seen a legal ram or legal moose I was glad I had only paid for a sheep hunt.

Safari Nordik is the place that used to have a great reputation. Then several years ago they screwed over 100 people out of thousands of dollars each and they never even made their hunts and are out their money. The Quebec Government has done nothing to take care of it and there is quite a thread on Bowsite about it. Jack Hume Adventures would be the one to go with up there, as they have a 5 star rating and have been in business a long time.

Some of the good possibilities are a whitetail, mule deer combo in Canada. A caribou/grizzly hunt in northern Alaska or a brown bear/moose combo on the Alaskan Peninsula. I'm doing an elk and antelope combo this year in Wyoming that I'm looking forward to. As some have stated, best to focus on one animal with all your effort, then if you have time pickup the second...good luck, keep us posted!

It's posted on Bowsite that Safari Nordik has lost their Outfitters License. That happened a couple of months ago.

On the research I've done Jack Hume would be one of the best Quebec Caribou Outfitters.

I agree that combo hunts are a crap shoot. Typically you go into an area that may have multiple animals, but sometimes they are not the best area for any species.
My son and I went to the NWT (Arctic Red River Outfitters) specifically for a dall sheep, but we had caribou, wolf and wolverine tags as well. We concentrated on sheep first but both of us ended up taking book mountain caribou as well for an added trophy fee. That is relatively common with ARRO because they have a great area for sheep and caribou. But no northern combo hunt is cheap if you start taking multiple animals.
Best of luck

Joe,
I've killed Dall sheep plus caribou a couple times and a Stone sheep plus a Canadian moose once.
I also agree with others who say a combo hunt can be a crap shoot. I've never had much interest in whack-n-stack, but that's just me.
You'd almost have to pick a primary critter and see if you can add on with one or two after you score on your #1.
Zeke

Wow! how cool it had to be to harvest the extra game on your hunts.

I know it's a good thing to purchase extra tags when your hunting in an area with different animals when hunting another, but what I was getting at has anyone went on a multi game hunt and was successful. Not just paying the trophy fee, if you harvest another animal.
I see these ads all the time and like you all agree just harvesting your main animal can be hard enough, much less multiply.

Thanks again for your time
Joe

-Joe E Sikora

I've done several deer/elk combo hunts and was mulling one this year if I didn't draw an elk tag. I've had great success. With deer and elk, you're usually glassing the same country. I'd research outfitters and ask for references for people who were successful and unsuccessful.

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-21-15
>AT 06:34?AM (MST)

>
>Hi tail chasers, I to looked
>at Safari Nordik I was
>impressed by their site etc.
>
>Although their hunt is mostly a
>2 Caribou hunt.I sent them
>an email a week ago,
>I still haven't gotten a
>response. Maybe their vacationing now
>though, because I sent a
>couple other emails to other
>outfitters with no response either.
>
>I'll let you know if I
>find a good one, please
>do the same.
>
>Thanks for your time
>Joe
>
>"Sometimes you do things wrong for
>so long you
>think their right" - 2001
>"I can't argue with honesty" -
>2005
>-Joe E Sikora

DO NOT go anywhere near safari nordik!! Go to bowsite and read up what is going on there...

As far as a combo hunt, my mind set is you have the primary species that you concentrate on and only that one. If you succeed then go after #2, or if you are simply lucky and stumble into #2 or #3 then take it. You just don't want to get into the mind set of switching between species A, B and C multiple times throughout the hunt or even day cause you will not be maximizing your chance for success then.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I have been lucky enough to harvest more than one animal a couple of times in British Columbia. Could have had 3 one time but I passed on a small bear after taking an elk and a mule deer.

I had almost forgot about this one. I did an Area 7 Wyoming elk hunt and was told I could do mule deer or antelope on a trophy fee basis if I got the license.
I got a mule deer license but I didn't kill an elk until the last day of a seven day hunt and never saw a mule deer buck. So I just wasted the license fee and preference points. One guy in camp did kill an elk and an antelope.

It looks like the other guys posting on here do a better job of choosing hunts than I do.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom