RAWLINS MAN CITED

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
CODY - A Rawlins man has received heavy fines for killing a bull elk with a rifle during the September archery season.

Ronald G. Leak was sentenced in Big Horn Circuit Court to pay fines of $780 and was ordered to pay $6,000 restitution to the State of Wyoming. In addition, Leak was placed on six months supervised probation and lost his hunting privileges for three years.

According to Wyoming Game and Fish Department investigating officers Tom DeSomber (Ten Sleep) and Jim Seeman (Buffalo), Leak poached the bull in elk hunt area 45 on Sept. 12 in the East Ten Sleep Creek drainage.

"When we interviewed Leak about the incident his story did not match the evidence and he eventually admitted his guilt," DeSomber said. "He said he was frustrated because he was unable to get close enough to the bull with his archery equipment, so he chose to harvest the elk with his rifle. The rifle season was closed."

Both DeSomber and Seeman feel strongly that poaching is a serious crime. "Hunting lawfully and ethically will help to ensure future hunting opportunity; intentionally breaking the law will not," DeSomber said.

Seeman added, "Poaching is mutiny on everyone*s bounty. People that poach deprive legitimate hunters from harvesting many game animals each year and we will continue to do what we can to catch them."

According to DeSomber the department and many county attorneys and judges also take wildlife violations seriously. "An individual who loses their privileges to hunt in Wyoming actually loses them in 31 states, all of which are members of the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact," DeSomber said.

The compact includes a reciprocal recognition of license suspension. Any person whose license privileges are suspended in Wyoming would also be suspended in the member states of Alaska, Nevada, Oregon, Colorado, Washington, Idaho, Arizona, Utah, Montana, Missouri, Maryland, Minnesota, North Dakota, New Mexico, Iowa, Indiana, California, Georgia, South Dakota, Michigan, Kansas, New York, Florida, Tennessee, Illinois, Mississippi, Ohio, Wisconsin, Kentucky and Louisiana.

Anyone witnessing a wildlife violation can call the Stop Poaching hotline at 1-877-WGFD-TIP. Tips are most helpful with specific information such as the date, time, location and specific details about the suspected violation.

It is also important to include a physical description of the suspected violator as well as a license plate number and description of any vehicles involved in the incident.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I like the penalty, $6,780 and 3 years without a license in any state for one elk! All because he couldn't get close enough! What a moron! Thanks for posting Tony.

Evem though I still don't think they are stiff enough wyoming does seem to lead the charge with the stiffest poaching penalties

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

I think those penalties seem pretty good; stiff enough to get one's attention.......a large bull elk is certainly worth much more (economic impact to a states economy) than that but GOOD FOR WYOMING!

Thanks for the information.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Good deal. Too bad the State of Wyoming can't fine the wolf lovers $6780 everytime a wolf poaches an elk.

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

Of course if he'd have bought the tag at auction it would probably be 8 grand and here in Utah it's a five year waiting period. Maybe he's onto something. Cheaper and can hunt more often.

Not stiff enough! Should loose hunting privileges for life! As someone who has spent tons of time in central Wyoming this is not uncommon at all in fact its more uncommon that he was caught. It makes me fairly angry as you can tell. Personally I think poaching is one of the major factors contributing to the decline of the deer and elk herds in Wyoming. With all of the developing oil and gas rigs bringing more people into these very remote (winter ranges) I think a lot of the true trophy class animals are getting taken in deep winter. I have family that currently works on the rigs and has in the past. Some of the people that these jobs attract would not think twice about poaching a big animal it does happen.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom