Rank these rangefinders

W

WEKILLDEER

On a scale of 1-10 tell me what you think about these rangefinders. They are all in my price range of $300-$400 although the Leica 1200 is a bit of a stretch.

Bushnell elite 1500arc
Nikon Monarch gold 1200
Leica LRF 900
Leica LRF1200

I have only owned two range finders. A bushnell Yardage Pro Scout, and A leica CRF 1200. The Leica is absolutely awesome. I was very nervous about spending that kind of money for a range finder, but after trying it out it is worth every penny. I would definately go with the Leica.

"Easy now, keep the croshairs right behind his shoulder & squeeze the trigger"

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-08 AT 09:09AM (MST)[p]I currently have and use the Bushnell Elite 1500 ARC and like it. It is bigger and thicker than I prefer, but does a great job ranging at long distances. I don't know that I will use it archery hunting or muzz hunting, just to bulky. The ARC functionality only works up to 500 yards, however the ranging ability goes much further than that (1000 +). I carry it in my back pack rather than on my belt.

CS

"Helping turn good tags, into great ones." - VIP Optics

Have the 900 Leica...will never buy another one..rangefinder that is, because the Leica 900 will last and does everything I want it too and is awesome to look through.

I will vote for the 1200 Nikon Monarch. I think you can find them for around $350-270 and mine works great. It fit's in my shirt pocket, snug, but it fits. I didn't like the box in the center of the bullseye on the Leica, plus the LRF 1200 is much bigger than the newer CRF. If you had the money I would recommend the newer, smaller CRF, but for this money the Nikon is very solid and is reliable on the readings, 900 yards on sunny days and 1100 yds on overcast. Bushnell won't match the accuracy, and Leica won't beat it(not the LRF).

I My self have a pair of Nikon Monarch 800, I also have a buddy who has a pair of leica. I would say that the single most important feature that the leica has over the nikon is that it gives it's yardage display in a red lettering that can be seen at night, my nikon displays it's yardage readings in black numbers which can be tough to read in low light situations. No questions my next rangefinder will be a leica.

I might add I have had 2 Bushnells before I purchaed the Leica CRF 1200 from Doug. The diffrence between being able to read the Black numbers of the Bushnell or the Red numbers of the Leica are UNREAL. Trying to read the black numbers If you are in low light conditions or anything with a dark background(Timber)forget it. When I had a Bushnell I use to range something and tip the range find up to the sky to read the numbers.

one more for the leica CRF 1200 or 900, I own a LRF 900 and its a great piece of equipment the only complaint I have is its design isn't very stable for one handed operation. the CRF solves this problem.

Guys, I've spent $$$ on the best optics BUT I went cheap with the rangefinder (Bushnell yardage pro 800?) Is there that much difference?? I can get reading on trees, rocks, hillsides, etc to 700+ yards and unless I'm trying to hit a wounded animal, 500 is my max range. How accurate does it have to be?? off 10 yards @ 500 wouldn't make a difference to me. I do recognize that the yardage is harder to read but WTH???

Leica LRF1200 - 8
Leica LRF 900 - 7
Nikon Monarch gold 1200 - 7
Bushnell elite 1500arc - 5

I like the 1200 for the increased range and ability to get a good reading. The Leica's are the best available, but the ones you are looking at are not the compact models.

WEKILLDEER,

Do you primarily hunt archery, muzzleloader, or rifle? I have the Leica LRF 900, the Bushnell Elite 1500arc, and the Opti-Logic which also has angle compensation like the Bushnell. The Leica would be my choice if I was strictly a rifle hunter. Great unit as stated by all. The 1200 will give you longer range readings than the 900 but how far do you plan on shooting? Remember, that you will not necessarily get 1200 yards out the 1200 or 900 out of the 900 depending on lighting, target reflectivity, and atmospheric conditions. If I was a bowhunter, the Bushnell with ARC would get the not because of the ability of the unit to calculate the horizontal distance to the target regardless of your position above or below the animial. The Opti-Logic model I have doesn't have a thru the lens read out and it's hard plastic case reminds me of the old Ranging rangefinders where you got the images to converge by turning the wheel.

All the rangefinders you list are good quailty rangefinders and it comes down to personal preference and budget. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them though if I was a bowhunter I would definately want the Bushnell with ARC. If I didn't shoot a bow I would go with the Leica.

Horniac

First of all thanks to all for the replys! HORNIAC, Here is my situation, I am a 60/40 archery/rifle hunter. I hunt out in Eastern MT where there is alot of open rolling country. I do most of my archery hunting using the spot and stalk method using the lay of the land as cover so I shoot a variety of angles. The ARC feature of the Bushnell would be nice but that wont be enough to sell me on the Bushy alone. Size is also something I am willing to deal with as the CRFs are the only compacts that I would want and I wont spend $500+ on a rangefinder. Also when I rifle hunt I use my rangefinder alot to guage stalking distance. This is why I really want a rangefinder that will consistanly read 600+ yds. My Nikon 440 just doesn't cut it over 250yds. Hope this helps.

>Have the 900 Leica...will never buy
>another one..rangefinder that is, because
>the Leica 900 will last
>and does everything I want
>it too and is awesome
>to look through.

Dont think I can say it better than that.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom