Rangefinding Bino Opinions....

BPKHunter

Very Active Member
I am looking to take the next step in rangefinding past my reliable but limited Nikon 1200. Reliable only to about 600-750 yards. Now before anyone makes some, you don't need to shoot over XXX yards comments, there is many times where it is usefule to know a deer is 1200 or 1500 yards away so you know where you need to get to, terrain wise, to be within range. That said...

I have good 8x and 15x bino's, but have been considering new 10x42's. So given that, I though I would at least consider the usefullness of say the new Swaro Rangefinding Bino, or the equiv Leica or Zeiss to say the Zeiss 1600. I do like the angle adjustment that the Swaro Bino and the Zeiss 1600 have.

Clearly at ~ $3k, cost is a BIG consideration.

Thanks.

Thoughts/Opinions?

I have the swarovski rangefinder and it is truly amazing. I like the leicas too though and they are much smaller and more convenient to use and carry.

I like my binoculars too much to upgrade to the bino's with a rangefinder, but man that would be so nice to have!

I would not buy a current rangefinder that does not compensate for angle. (mine does not and I really miss that feature at times) Now its one more step to figure it out and calculate.

LAST EDITED ON May-09-12 AT 08:52PM (MST)[p]I've had four different rangefinding binos over the last five years. I started with the original Leupolds. Absolute junk. I replaced them with the next generation Leupolds. Also junk. I then purchased the Leica 10x42 (non-HD). The glass was awesome, and the rangefinder was acceptable, but didn't work so well in some conditions (direct sunlight or fog/rain). About a month ago, I received the Swaro EL Range 10x42 binos that I ordered back in December, and they are worth every penny. The glass is exceptional, the rangefinder works much more consistently than the Leicas, and the angle measurement is a feature I've been waiting for. I have yet to hunt with them, but I'm pretty happy with them! The only downside with the new Swaros is that they are impossible to find in stock anywhere. Mine were on backorder for about four months, and I only got them when I called Leica USA and complained.

Scott

"
Here is my $.02.?

When I am putting a stalk on an animal,?most of the time I already know where the animal is for the most part, and the majority of the time I have my bow in my left hand.? When I get within range I use the rangefinder to re-located the animal because the terrain changes and I want to find the animal to make sure where he is and how far away he is.? Field judging is a non-issue at this point because I have already committed to the animal that I want.? So, in close quarters I want very limited hand movement.? That is why I am going to get a little Lieca rangefinder when I can afford it.?

When I am stalking a bedded mule deer or in the trees with moving elk, I do not want to have to deal with binos because they are too big.? They cover both eyes, and they have much more objective glass surface to reflect the sun and glare light beams toward my quarry.

I want a little tiny rangefinder that I can have in my hand(one hand) and let go of quickly so I can shoot my bow.? I have thought about this a lot, and when you are 60 yards out and moving it, you just don't want to deal with a pair of binos as a means to range-find.? I realize that they have come a long way and work great, but I just think that a rangefinder that is separate from the binos is the best for people who bow hunt.

At long ranges this is not an issue, but having both does not limit you then, either.? Give me a Lieca 1600 and a pair of new Swaro 10x42 SLC's and I am a happy camper.?

That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

Currently, I have a set of 10x42 Leica Geovids. They work great for the majority of mu hunting, but I were to do it again, I would go with a decent set of 10x42 binos and get the Terrapin Pocket Laser Range Finder that is good to 2400 meters. It's a very nice setup.

>The only downside with the new Swaros is
>that they are impossible to find in stock anywhere.
>Mine were on backorder for about four months, and I
>only got them when I called Leica USA and complained.

I meant Swaro USA, not Leica USA.

Scott

I have not heard a complaint about the EL Range bino/LRF, except for min distance from bowhunters. I am not a bowhunter, so I am ok with that.

Now, how do I get $3k in new swarovski purchases past my lovely wife....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom