Rangefinder

never_catch

Long Time Member
Hey guys, once again I'd like to get your opinions on rangefinders. Last year I asked about them and ended up buying the Nikon Riflehunter550 because a lot of you had great things to say about it. I REALLY liked the accuracy of this rangefinder with my Alphamax32 and Sure-Loc 1 pin sight...my only complaint was when using it in low light I could barely see through it because the glass was so dark. I could barely pick out a critter let alone read the display. During the day I had no problems or complaints whatsoever...first or last light it was horrible to look through.

I sold it and am now looking to replace it. Anyone gone through this before?? Which rangefinders with the incline/decline technology have the clearest glass at low light?? I originally ordered the Nikon Archers Choice with the red LED display but there was a long wait so I changed my order and went with the Riflehunter...does anyone know if the Riflehunter and Archers Choice have the exact same glass in them??

~Z~

The TBR 1000 is good for the optics, but the ranging ability leaves a little to be desired.

Since you shoot a single pin I assume to shoot past 60 yards at times. The TBR 1000 stops calculating the angle compensation after 60 yards in the bow mode. So if you have a 62 yard shot on a 45 degree angle on a bedded buck, this rangefinder will tell you to shoot it for 62. If that buck was 58 it would tell you the true ballistic range (48ish?), stupid huh?

Also there are 3 bow modes for different speed bows. I think they are over thinking it. We all already adjust our sights based on speed/arrow drop and we don't need our rangefinder to calc that as well. We just need it to tell us what affect gravity will have on our shot based on the angle of the shot.

That's what great about the nikon riflehunter. It just tells you what distance to shoot if for and thats it. Brillant. Its just too bad the optics suck or it would be my first choice rangefinder.

I was recently in your exact situation, looking for the best glass with angle compensation. Here is my story.

I own a leica 1200 and love it but it doesn't calculate the angle for you. Looking to replace the Leica I ended up with the Leupold TBR 1000. Opitcally, its the closest I've found to the Leica. I didn't discover the issues with the ranging until after the 60 day return policy had expired.

I still own both rangefinders and I think this fall I'll use the Leupold with a calculation chart taped to the side for those 60+yard shots. The Leupold does tell you the angle in the display so that will help with the calcutaion.

I also learned that the reason your Nikon Riflehunter is so dark is because you are looking through an LCD screen. The red LED displays are projected onto your glass so they don't affect the optics.

So based on your description of the Nikon Archers Choice LED display, I would guess that the optics will be better than the LCD display in the rifle hunter. But I think the archers choice only ranges up to 100 yards. I can't tell you how many times I've used my Leica 1200 as a scouting tool to range something close to a buck to see if it is in archery range to plan my stalk. 100 yards just isn't enough IMO.

I still think the prefect rangefinder doesn't exist out there.
Good luck in your search, let us know what you end up getting. I hope this helped.

Thanks for the info!!

I really don't think there's a perfect incline/decline rangefinder on the market yet either sooooooo maybe I'll just wait and see if one happens to come out by June or July...if not I can always get another riflehunter550...won't be able to see at dark but at least I'll know it's accurate IF I can read the display ;-) lol!!

~Z~

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom